Samsung Galaxy S8- Unveiling in Feb 2017

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by mr626, Dec 7, 2016.

1. metalrain

metalrain Member

Anyone here with the new convertible fast wireless charging pad? Does it keep the phone cooler compared to the older version?

2. roxydog

roxydog Member

Fingerprint scanner works a treat when phone is in shirt pocket
    with screen facing your body. Index finger sits perfectly when grabbing
    out and phone is on before it's out of your pocket :thumbup:

3. metalrain

metalrain Member

Finally got the Gear VR set up and running and it's pretty fun. I've only tried a couple of games and they're mostly very gimmicky, but the 3D and 360° videos are pretty awesome. Now I just need to find out how to transfer all of my old Nvidia 3D Vision movies onto this thing....

4. thecondor

thecondor Member

I only use face unlock and at night I just use the pin.

Face to unlock is bloody super quick.

So far very very happy with this phone.

5. CZA

CZA Member

Ooooh mama

6. metalrain

metalrain Member

I've been handling my phone out of it's case since I got it because of the GearVR and damn, I prefer the feel of it like this... Still got more than a couple of weeks before my DBrand Skin gets here though back into the case it goes :(

7. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

s7 users, is it worth the upgrade?
    im currently on the s7 edge and the s8 plus it looks interesting, I've got that Telstra new phone feeling so i can hand in my s7 and pay $150 and get this.

Or should i wait

8. Steve D

Steve D Member

Bloody Optus...

Preordered S8+ early this week, with VR bundle. Called this morning to be told they have plenty of S8+ in stock, however my bundle has not arrived. They are unable to provide me with a handset, and collect the VR bundle later, as and I quote "thats how they are ordered, they are like glued together"... Surely I could collect a handset today, and the VR gear when it arrives potentially in a week or so?

Frustrating.

9. slashrox

slashrox Member

I preordered a S8+ through Optus on Monday, up until yesterday, they didn't even allocate me a phone, and my tracking number through the optus website had not been updated since then. I rang up yesterday and got told they were "finding" a phone to allocate to me which will be then sent to their warehouse to be dispatched. An hour after that call, the tracking number on the optus site got updated saying the phone was at the warehouse being packaged to be dispatched. Updated this morning with a link to star track saying the phone is with the delivery driver and that it should be delivered within 24-48 hours and that I would get a text. Clicked on the link where it took me to the startrack website where I now have a consignment number, and apparently my phone is in Newcastle with a delivery driver. Didn't receive a text at all.

Hoping it gets delivered before 1pm before I go to work, otherwise if it gets delivered today, I'll have to pick it up in the morning from the post office (only just discovered the other day the post office in my area is now open saturdays until 12pm).

10. thecondor

thecondor Member

I upgraded from a s7e and for me was a huge upgrade. The s7e was running like dogshit.

Its nicer to hold in hand, software is a lot better and I don't get the annoying touches on the edges anymore like I did with the s7e.

All stores have them today everywhere, so shouldn't have any issue with stock.

@slash it should be delivered today.

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Comparison table here:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-s8-vs-galaxy-s7,news-24758.html

Whether this relatively minor incremental upgrades are worth it to you is your call, based on your changeover as well I guess.

12. slashrox

slashrox Member

My S8+ just got delivered along with the VR headset. Setting the phone up now. I'm going to sell the VR headset as I have no need for it.

13. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

Hmm, interesting, the whole 6.2" screen would be great for Andriod Auto i reckon, i'll go play around with one today and make the decision then

Yeah, im still 50/50 about forking out the $150 change over, considering September/October isn't that far away I could wait for the Note series.

There must be a shit load of surplus VR headsets floating around the FS section soon lol

14. thecondor

thecondor Member

Ill also probably still upgrade to the note 8 also. I loved my note 5.

In saying that I am absolutely loving the s8+. I have never been a huge fan of the s series since the s2 but samsung has finally got it right.

15. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

I agree, well, except for the location of fingerprint sensor.

16. thecondor

thecondor Member

Yeah I don't use it so it doesn't bother me. It would really bother me if the only way to unlock your phone is via the fingerprint sensor but thankfully its not.

17. metalrain

metalrain Member

Yeah everything for the phone, apart from the finger print sensor, is a dream. Sure I would have preferred a matte black finish (>tfw still waiting for the DBrand skin) and the Bixby button does get in the way sometimes, but those are minor niggles.

That said though, if the Note 8 is going to be as good as the rumours suggest, I'll probably upgrade to that when the time comes :)

18. booboo

booboo Member

Picked mine up last night, only got the s8 due to wanting a smaller phone then my 950 xl. It feels small in my hand and is smaller in length and width by a fair bit. So far so good but Ive used the VR more then the phone itself so far, everything seems to work but annoying that using the VR means taking the phone cover off. My old $15 wireless charger works well with it too.
    Contacts didn't come across with smart switch which is annoying....need a few more days of using the phone though

19. danyell

danyell Member

Cool story, bro

20. slashrox

slashrox Member

Really loving the S8+. Never been so impressed by an Android phone before!

Cheers for the pointless reply, mate :thumbup: