Samsung Galaxy S9 & S9+

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by MrBS, Feb 26, 2018.

1. cvidler

cvidler Member

Keeping up with the Jones' is an expensive pass time.

Be it flag ship phones, or fancy cars, or pools, mansions, overseas holidays, gaming PC parts etc. etc. It's all showing off.

There's little actual NEED to have the latest flag ship other than being able to say you have the latest flag ship.

The question is, can you put up with the shame of not having the latest phone every year?

I usually just skip every second model, so my S7 edge will be getting replaced this time around.

My vice is fast cars, so I can bare the shame of having an old phone.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Probably but they are adverrtising as...."thicker Gorilla Glass 5 layer" than the S8.

3. congoh

congoh Member

There are plenty of people upgrading from older phones.

This phone is not the one you're looking for (unless you like shiny new things more than your $$).

Now all they need to do is to find a way to incorporate replaceable batteries.

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah that's some depreciation though, wow.

5. thecondor

thecondor Member

Most people in the business just claim their mobile as depreciation over two years. So it’s not that big a deal.

6. insular

insular Member

i know i'll be ridiculed, but i want this phone.

going from an iphone 6s, not happy with ios anymore the way they do notifications (battery had to be replaced on that and camera failed, so free repairs but still...)

iphone x is not that impressive. nice screen but i hate the notch. that and the 256gb model is nearing 2k.

this? dual camera, seems to be the same as iphone x, and the oppo r11s i doubt is actually 20mp in terms of quality. even the demo unit i saw felt sluggish and cheap.

this has facial recognition as well, and fingerprint too. android was fairly annoying last time i used it (ice cream sandwich lol), but i like the notifications now (easy to clear/block etc.)

i need 4k@60fps so its either this or iphone x. this is cheaper.

i also don't like the gestures on the iphone x, i have to SLOWLY swipe up to get task manager? really? why would i want to do anything slowly? (even sexy times). cant even close all apps with one touch of a button.

i can't wait 3-6 months for a price drop. holidays planned and i want the best video possible without buying a proper video camera.

7. OP
    OP
    MrBS

MrBS Member

I've got my preorder in for a 9+ woo. Looking forward to new shiny ;)

8. thecondor

thecondor Member

Each to their own mate, I pre-ordered the blue s9+.

Be interesting to see what its like.

9. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I succumbed to the X rather than go back to Android, as much as I wanted to wait for this phone. I'm not particularly phased by it though seems more like an iPhone S upgrade.

The notch is fine, I don't know why people get so butthurt about it. As for killing all tasks, I don't think you understand how multi tasking works in IOS however its recommended to not continually close applications unless necessary (crashes etc). And the iPhone 8 also does 4k60 which is the cheaper of the bunch.

10. clonex

clonex Member

Seems to make a difference when you got a few apps open and midi devices hooked up if you got a plethora of apps in the background

11. insular

insular Member

then there's the headphone jack, which i'd prefer on planes for my existing headphones and not be limited to 8 hours (or whatever) in wireless phones (that i have to buy again).

iphone 8 doesn't have dual camera, and zooming while making holiday vids on a single camera is pixelation hell. eg. chick bending over at the beach

screen is probably better overall, and f1.5 aperture is better too (a big deal when taking those nightclub upskirt shots when you can't use the flash :lol:). again, everyone has different use cases.

i just don't really like the notch. it's wasted screen in video mode if you crop. and altogether unnecessary in portrait mode. i think they'll get rid of it in the next iteration.

i might be too old school, and not up to date with the latest improvements, but i always prefer to keep most stuff closed unless i'm actually using it, or about to go back to it. you get a hell of a lot of apps 'open' when they're actually not. pauline hanson don't like it.

getting a bit tired of the wall of icons as well...

so far all the preorder deals are pretty much the same, s9+ 1499 for 256gb in black, with free charger, and bonus 10k flyer points with qantas.

edit: ok iphone 8+ has dual camera. but still inferior. so no.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  12. thecondor

thecondor Member

My only gripe is why doesnt telstra have the blue in a 256gb model? Only 64gb or the black one has 256gb, its annoying.

13. yxalitis

yxalitis Member

Yes, yes I can.

14. insular

insular Member

yeah except i'm kind of over caring about fancy colours now. grey or black is good enough for me. i look at the screen, not the back when i'm using it. i actually buy outright (TRS!) cos i don't see the value anymore in data plans and long contracts. i can live with hunting for wifi, cache maps, watch pre sync'd videos etc. travelling throughout the year on longer trips makes it a waste of money for me. everyone has a different use case, camera quality and video recording are most important to me :) and skipping the frustration of finger unlock when it doesn't work half the time is something i'd like to leave behind.

15. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

I'm interested but not at launch prices, I can wait 3-4 months till my S7 contract is up then push even harder for a good deal. If not then see-ya and a cheapo aldi sim for as long as the S7 lasts.

Evilhomer likes this.
  16. afcca

afcca Member

It kinda seems like the 256 only comes in black, as all of the websites are the same from what I can see. Sadface.

17. thecondor

thecondor Member

Yeah seems that way. Samsung as a pre-order bonus could throw in a 128gb Micro sd card. Even for the guys who buy the 256GB. I reckon that would be a nice bonus for everyone.

The tablet that Telstra are throwing in is a pos, although the wireless charger is handy.

Anyway bring on the 16th.

18. insular

insular Member

my issue is that the bonus charger is invoiced with the phone, so i have to take both overseas with me for TRS. i don't want to carry around a wireless charger!

19. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

I take it the wireless chargers will be come via redemption method? Rather than collecting in store with your pre order?

20. thecondor

thecondor Member

Depends really, so last year with the s8 telstra just sent the wireless charger out with the phone, but then with the note 8 you had to redeem it (which fucking sucked).