Samsung i9000 Galaxy S

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Smoza, May 17, 2010.

1. Smoza

Smoza Member

2. OP
    OP
    Smoza

Smoza Member

I'm fairly confident this will be my new phone. It will be between this, new iPhone, X10 (unlikely), Desire or the N900. This is the frontrunner at the moment though.

3. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

cant believe this has no flash

i would get this for sure if it had one, but i'm not interested now

4. hak

hak Member

can you quote whether its camera flash or adobe flash you wanted cause im getting confused the hell out of these 2 features

5. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

i am referring to the camera flash - it has none

although i may still be swayed after doing some more reading.. apparently it is still capable of taking decent pics in low light (obviously not pitch black) situations

unsure about web based flash support

6. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Don't understand why anyone would pick this over the desire? Sense UI destroys anything samsung have going. But hey thats me.

7. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

main reason would be the bigger (4" vs 3.7") super amoled screen (as opposed to regular amoled which are almost unusable in direct sunlight)

and the htc desire is kinda ugly

apart from that they are pretty similar though

i am sort of torn between getting the desire or waiting for this to come out which will be at the start of june ive heard

8. flurex

flurex Member

The 1GHz ARM CORTEX-A8 Hummingbird processor is something else to consider.

The super AMOLED screen also consumes less power, and copes much better in sunlight compared to standard AMOLED screens.

I'm only concerned about the software quality from Samsung, as I have heard they are not too great in the software department.

One thing I waiting for confirmation is the multi-touch support. I want a touch sensor that can track more than just two fingers.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  9. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Looks pretty gorgeous, if a little bland and iPhoneish. Desire/GNO/HD2 all look nicer I think. Great screen. What's the CPU in it? Same 1ghz one as everyone's using now? If the price is right I'd consider it over the Desire.

Edit: I see it's 1ghz but different CPU. Any ideas on benchies comparing the 2 cpus? Curious which is more powerful, cortex or snapdragon.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  10. flurex

flurex Member

Have a read of these two articles:

http://androidandme.com/2010/03/news/samsung-galaxy-s-hummingbird-chip-to-have-3x-gpu-power-of-snapdragon/
    http://androidandme.com/2010/03/news/5-reasons-to-wait-for-the-samsung-galaxy-s/

11. evil-mooo

evil-mooo Member

I'm hanging out for one of these. Hopefully they're cheaper than the UK preorder price of 550GBP.

The main reason for this phone over the Desire is the multitouch screen - the Desire has the same problems as the Nexus One. The EVO 4G looks amazing, too, though.

12. hosh0

hosh0 Member

What issues with multitouch does the desire have?

13. hosh0

hosh0 Member

I have heard about this ARM processor being in the Samsung yet every release I see from samsung themselves just states a 1GHZ processor, where are people finding the info in relation to it having ARM Coretx?

14. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

15. evil-mooo

evil-mooo Member

http://phandroid.com/2010/03/03/nexus-one-multi-touch-severely-flawed/

The same as the Nexus One - axis flipping. It is a problem with the Synaptics ClearTouch 2000. My understanding is that the touchscreen is able to track two points, but not able to link the x/y coordinates to both. So, when coordinates cross, the tracking screws up.

16. hak

hak Member

Samsung never fails on hardware specs, they should use more resources on software (or donate XDA to have a dedicated team)

man, I just realised preview pic here screams of lawsuit from Apple, I mean the Koreans have the best internet access right? and they completely ignored the wrath of SJ...

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  17. shift6

shift6 Member

I "wish" vendors would at least give customers the option of downgrading to vanilla Android instead of forcing custom UIs :lol:.

18. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

All the previews seem to show it in that view, which is just the app list. Don't really get why they don't show the main desktops.

Specwise, if the price is right I think this might be my next phone, but I've been saying that about every swanky new android phone for the last 6 months so who knows. Looks wise, wish it had a bit more substance to it. It just looks like an iPhone which to me is bland.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  19. Pyros

Pyros Member

I guess that's the catch - they're becoming worse than computer hardware in that the current best model is superceded by its own manufacturer in no time.

I'm not sure if I'll be going with a nokia symbian^3/maemo handset or an android handset when I upgrade in a few months time. At least with the nokia it'll be current for a while ;). That said, at least with android there's a pretty solid release schedule for software upgrades - nokia haven't been quite so disciplined in that regard.

20. flurex

flurex Member