Samsung i9000 Galaxy S

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Smoza, May 17, 2010.

1. Smakked

Smakked Member

Battery life has gone to shit for some reason on MIUI so im going to try another one and see how it goes

2. Takumi

Takumi Member

thanks for you help guys.

3. Smakked

Smakked Member

Skype video call works on galaxy s , Awesome, was just using it talking to mum in WA smooth as silk.

4. hak

hak Member

damnnn, and it took me some time to get Google talk video to work, now I can jump back to Skype LOL

5. Smakked

Smakked Member

6. hak

hak Member

7. /\pocalypse

/\pocalypse Member

Anyone got tips on how to get better battery life out of Cyanogen mod 7? 'Cell standby' and 'Android OS' are chewing through most of my battery and I have half the apps I had when I was on Froyo 2.2 which had twice the battery life. Really enjoying Cyanogen mod otherwise :)

8. Kow

Kow Member

Android OS bug is a 2.3.3 thing, it kills your battery quickly. How many percent is it taking? I had the issue but i froze the offending apps (software update and SNS) and it's all good. If you can update to 2.3.4 its even better.

9. /\pocalypse

/\pocalypse Member

Sorry, should have mentioned I am actually on 2.3.4. I have also moved work offices to a place with near zero reception so that may be playing a part, I will do some more testing. Not sure if I can flash a different modem easily while using Cyanogenmod 7 nightly.

10. tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

I'm on darkys 10.1 (2.3.3) .. longest the batt has lasted me is 81hrs iirc.. wifi on the whole time

11. cheddo7

cheddo7 Member

Same here, minimal browsing, 12-15 calls a day, about 3 days between charge and it usually is at 40% when I charge it. Had the battery drop from 85-25% in 2 hours a few weeks back, just rebooted and charged it up and all good.

12. jamesski

jamesski Member

Looking at picking up one of these to replace my aging Nexus One.

would the Galaxy S be better than the Nexus?, i know the Galaxy has better screen size,

13. tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

I'd go SGSII :D

14. ACodingFettish

ACodingFettish Member

will be better, but not enough to make the purchase worth it imo. I'd look at the galaxy S II if you can ( http://www.mobicity.com.au/samsung-galaxy-s2.html)

15. hak

hak Member

nexus one with cm 7.1 > sgs IMO (yes sgs has cm 7 but it is nowhere near as stable)

but when it comes to graphics/flash grunt sgs takes the lead

they are about equal and a dual core phone will be a better leap

16. badas6

badas6 Member

hey guys im new to andriod phone just picked up a galaxy
    saw this "CyanogenMod"

is anyone using this mod ? is it easy to install for noobs

any other recomendations as phone came with telstra bloatware :thumbdn:

17. Kow

Kow Member

Looks like i am leaving you guys! Vodafail network wasn't "compatible" with the galaxy s in my area, so they are sending me a SGS2 replacement which is "compatible" with their 850 network. But i will most likely getting out of contract when that fails.

@baddas6 yup cyanogen mod and darkies and all other roms are all quite easy to install if you follow the guides.

QUESTION! Do i need to disable lagfix if i do a original firmware nandroid backup? (pretty sure it is disabled anyways).
    2. Any guides from going fromg inger bread to STOCK voda 2.1 or 2.2?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  18. Deity

Deity Member

Hey guys,

I think I may have a serious issue with my Galaxy S i9000T (Telstra model). Just recently (from yesterday) the phone has found itself on 2100 band (3TELSTRA) whereas previously it was working fine on 850 (Telstra).

I've only recently flashed the phone to a custom ROM - specifically F1 JVP V9. I was on V5 for a little while until V9 came out. Previous to this, the phone was loaded with 2.1 and in my frustration with the lack of updates and 2.1 (battery drain, lag) I worked up the courage to flash 2.3.4 Gingerbread. I chose F1 cos sanjay suggested F1 in an earlier thread, and the instructions seemed easy and straight-forward enough to follow.

[​IMG]

Anyways, I also have a Blackberry supplied by my work. It also has a Next G SIM so I did a swap of the SIM cards and lo-and-behold my personal Next G SIM comes up with "Telstra" when the Blackberry boots up. Using my work Next G SIM in my Galaxy S fails to find any network. It reports "Telstra Mobile not available" or something to that effect. I'm not sure if the work Next G SIM supports any other band other than 850 though.

I'm starting to wonder if the 850 radio is dead. Next G was working fine until yesterday.

Not exactly sure what to do now. I've been looking at JVQ-based custom ROMs but I'm loathed to flash another custom ROM if I can avoid it. I'm going to try flashing back to F1 V5.

Hopefully someone here who knows a great deal more than me can give me a hand :thumbup:

19. hak

hak Member

dude relax, no need for panic, JVP modem is not 850 compatible that is all,

flash JL2 modem.bin with odin

its the froyo modem extracted from i9000t stock rom :D

20. Deity

Deity Member

Thanks hak,

I tried flashing JVQ modem but it didn't help any. I found this thread on xda developers and tried using the CWM version but it seems to be old and won't install anymore. Looks like I'll have to go with ODIN (I'd much prefer to install via CWM).

Hopefully this resolves my issue. It seems strange that I've been on JVP modem for almost a month now and it didn't seem to have any problems until now.