Samsung i9000 Galaxy S

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Smoza, May 17, 2010.

1. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Doesn't really phase me if 2.2 gets pushed back, or skipped all together to be honest.

I've finally got my phone running exactly how I want it and can't be arsed doing it all again. Not to mention I'll have to wait for the lag fix to be ported to 2.2 etc. Everyone carrys on about 2.2 but is it really that much better than 2.1?

Anyway I agree the default Samsung software sucked arse. But if you root, strip out all the crap software, install launcher pro, install voodoo lag fix, and install battery percentage mod. You've got a fucking awesome, speedy installation that sits on top of some great hardware.

I completely agree that you shouldn't have to do all this to get a phone working properly. But I have no issues tweaking my computer and it's kind of nice to be able to have lots of flexibility with your phone too.

Anyway just my 2c.

2. joeechick

joeechick Member

Guess I'll be doing this this weekend then. Fingers crossed I won't be in here going HELP I BRICKED MY PHONE ;)

3. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

I'm already running 2.2 (the latest leak dated 15/9), rooted, and with the lag fix. It's not overly hard to do it, just takes a little bit of time. I haven't run into any issues with that firmware, the phone is fast and stable. So I'm not really fussed about when the officially release 2.2. Oh, and Kies is a piece of shit, but the only time i've had to use it was when applying the 3BR fix. If you want to sync your phone with your computer, just use googles Exchange server. Simple.

4. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Just make sure you are able to use the 3 button recovery mode on your phone. If you can then it is basically impossible to brick your phone as you can always go into failsafe recovery mode and flash the firmware again.

If you can't get into 3 button recovery there is a firmware update to fix it, but ironically being a firmware upgrade, if you stuff it up you can brick your phone :).

Don't want to scare you, but it happens. But if you triple check everything before doing it you'll be fine

5. joeechick

joeechick Member

Oh great, back to Kies. I never got my phone to connect, after trying all the google suggestions. It's going to be a long weekend...

6. Chemical Pete

Chemical Pete Member

What OS are you running? I was one of the many people with Kies problems running Windows 7 x64, however just recently after an update to Kies, it seems to have started working correctly for me...

7. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

For those who don't mind getting their hands dirty, there is a 3BR restart fix on XDA developers that will work on any firmware and doesn't require a reflash (or that piece of shit that is Kies). The process is fairly similar to a root, you just need to use ADB to put the the phone in recovery mode.

8. joeechick

joeechick Member

Vista SP2 32bit. Might try it this weekend on my new windows 7 laptop, see if that makes a difference.

9. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

The latest Kies off samsungs website worked fine for me on win7 64 bit... That said I don't actually use it and it hasn't been required for any flashes I've done.

10. Murder1

Murder1 Member

Just flashed to JPH, works well so far. Not going to bother waiting for the official samsung one.

11. AesthetiCz

AesthetiCz Member

Is there somewhere that has a tutorial on how to do this?

I keep reading about all this great stuff I can do to my new phone but the detail is a bit light on!

Your setup sounds like just about what I want.

12. oodles

oodles Member

For those having trouble with Kies, I've only used it once to update my firmware and it wouldn't sync for me. What i had to do was revert back to the original Samsung launcher with touchwiz. It would then sync fine. It wouldn't when I was using launcherpro plus.

13. inexistence

inexistence Member

any advantages to running JPK?

i find 2.1 with voodoo is sufficient.

the biggest real advantage with froyo is JIT which hasn't been enabled by any of the leaked froyo firmwares.

However if fixes problems.. such as lag and gps i would jump ship!

14. andydev

andydev Member

What is the 3 button recovery? can I check if my phone supports it without messing it out :p

15. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

Turn phone off

Turn phone on while holding volume up, home and power

When the startup screen is shown, let go of power only

It will then boot to recovery mode...

16. andydev

andydev Member

Cheers,
    Can this cause any problems if I do it incorrectly? How do I revert back to normal? just boot?

17. Sharkx

Sharkx Member

I flashed to JM8 last night, and the JPK wasn't there. Caution as it seems very new, good things were said bout JPH.

18. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

Yep, if you get the button sequence wrong the phone just starts up normally...

19. AesthetiCz

AesthetiCz Member

Having some serious troubles getting my phone into recovery mode.

Ive tried this method:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=785201

but it isnt working. The step that doesnt seem to be working is:

"6. Start a new command prompt and type "adb reboot recovery""

I am pretty new to this, am I doing something completely wrong? How did you guys get your phones into recovery mode? Mine has come from vodafone.

All help greatly appreciated!

20. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

Did you try the 3 button power up sequence mentioned earlier in this thread?