1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung ML 1640 - blinkin' LEDs

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by izablue, Jun 15, 2020.

1. izablue

izablue Member

After replacing the toner cartridge and printing a couple of test pages, coincidentally, the printer now, when turned on:

Makes the usual start-up noises but no green LED, instead I get a repeating pattern of red LEDs, i.e. for the sake of discussion beginning with:
    Both on
    Status blink
    Toner blink
    Status 4 blinks
    Toner blink
    Status 3 blinks
    Toner blink
    Status 4 blinks
    Toner blink

In my youthful ignorance I thought "failed electrolytic(s)" but taking the back off the printer revealed no swollen or deformed electro's.

I am hoping there is a Samsung knowledgeable person out there who can advise exactly what is wrong with the printer.

These days I do not do a lot of printing so a repair, if possible, would be preferable to buying a new printer.

2. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Tried poking the old cartridge back in? Yes, it'll complain about low toner etc, but it "might" give that printer a bit of a reset if it's simply confused rather than broken.

Else Uncle Google comes with interesting links when you ask him about "Samsung ML 1640 led blinking toner cartridge".

And one of the other set he can cough up to have a scroll through is "samsung ml-1640 reset"

izablue likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    izablue

izablue Member

When trying the search terms you recommend I get many that I have already read!
    Re-inserting the old cartridge gives the same LED blinking pattern
    I think it is knackered ...

4. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Well, you didn't tell us that you'd already tickled Uncle Google. Oodles of short-term/low Post Count members usually don't when asking for assist, so apologies if I'd bundled you in with them <insert exclamation marks>.

Anyway, if you've tried the common "fixes", reset it a couple of times and it still misbehaves then probably time for a new one. At least it died when the EOFY sales would be starting. :)

izablue likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    izablue

izablue Member

Anyone want a toner cartridge that has only printed two pages - for the cost of postage?

6. Demonic2005

Demonic2005 Member

Scrap that mines a 1860

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020