Samsung NC10 Review

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by zfind, Dec 12, 2008.

1. newphilosophy

newphilosophy Member

Also just purchased one from OC UK =) Am I going to have any issues with the power pack in Aus? :(

2. Ic3man

Ic3man Member

nope the power pack is universal..

3. nathan.

nathan. Member

is it worth going for a nc10 now?
    i don't need a netbook until the start of march.. i am unsure whether i should wait for more info (and possibly a release?) or nc11/12 :(

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  4. NRGU

NRGU Member

next release is an NC20 iirc, which is a 12" offering

5. rhysxanthis

rhysxanthis Member

I just purchased an NC10 from www.handtec.co.uk

I cant wait til it arrives - pity they use FedEx - its always horribly slow to Perth, always 2 days longer than UPS from just about anywhere.

6. reags

reags Member

hmm would they repair it locally under warranty, or would it need to be shipped back to UK?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  7. rhysxanthis

rhysxanthis Member

Worldwide warranty.

Someone from WP rang Samsung AU and they confirmed it was a worldwide warranty, and that they would honour it.

8. reags

reags Member

sounds good thanks

9. rhysxanthis

rhysxanthis Member

No worries.

My NC10 has been booked to be picked up by FedEx from handtec.co.uk today, to reach me Wednesday (FedEx is pretty shit..UPS would be here on Monday...).

Regardless, great service from Handtec. Ordered about 11pm perth time last night, any questions I had were answered very promptly and in full by their live support tool.

Fantastic.

10. reags

reags Member

Do let us know how you find it when you get the chance, I'm pretty keen if your review points that way :thumbup:

11. rhysxanthis

rhysxanthis Member

Will do :thumbup:

12. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

If this is purchased from OCUK, will it automatically take the VAT charges off the total when purchasing or do you need to email OCUK to notify them that we're in Australia so they can adjust the charges?

Exchange rate is kinda crap atm... 317.75 (excl.VAT) GBP = 692.830 AUD

13. rhysxanthis

rhysxanthis Member

Its automatically taken off.

Buy it from www.handtec.co.uk - its only 288.99 pounds delivered by FedEx.

Ordered from them - they are absolutely fantastic...although it would appear I bought the last black NC10 they had in stock :p

14. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

It's OK, I want it in blue :D

15. thrillhouse

thrillhouse Member

I had a trip to the states last week, so I picked up an NC10 in Black. I am coming from a Fujitsu P7010 laptop, which also had a 10.x" screen, so I was used to the size. I had read a lot about the NC10, and the features that stood out the most for me were the battery life and the build quality. I was not disappointed when it arrived at my door, (amazon.com).

Since my previous p7010 had such a small form factor I easily adjusted to the NC10. As reported the keyboard is top notch with no flex. Picking up the laptop by the corner there are no creaks or sounds of material being strained.

I really like the screen, most of the time I just need to have it on the 2nd level brightness, full brightness is just waaay too much, which is not a bad thing at all. It did take a little time to get used to the smaller res, I had 1280*768 on the p7010, so the 1024*600 is a bit smaller. I have watched my share of movies and don't have any complaints really, sound could be a bit better, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

The track pad has taken a bit to get used to as it is so small. There is also a function which enables circular scrolling (draw circles with finger to scroll left/right up/down like winding a window up/down), which happens when you touch and move near the scrolling portion of the track pad. This combined with the physically small pad makes the pad VERY small. I still sometimes find myself looking down and to find it again. It is something that I will get used to.

Overall I am VERY happy with my purchase.

16. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

I more than likely will have a set of headphones and a cordless mouse packed with mine so those limitations don't mean much to me luckily :D

17. OP
    OP
    zfind

zfind Member

Good to hear you're happy with it thrillhouse, they certainly are little feature-packed crowd pleasers :).

Mine is going strong, getting better all the time. Just recently I worked out that when I wiped XP for the nLite reinstall, I forgot to reinstall 'Magic Keyboard', a Samsung app that enables the Fn-F8 combo key (the one with the little running man on it). Finally I can put the computer into silent mode - no more fan!!! Was really bugging me.

In other news, I bought a $7 eBay neoprene / memory foam sleeve. Does the job nicely if I only want to tuck it into my backpack for travel. I recently took it to Warsaw, it fit in nicely with all the business types with their Lenovos in the executive lounge :leet:

I'm now waiting on the last piece of gear I need to make my travel kit complete, some Audio Technica ATH-ANC7s, noise cancelling headphones. With those and the NC10 I should be able to make the 30 hour trip back to Perth a bit more bearable!!

18. thrillhouse

thrillhouse Member

Good to hear about the case working out, gonna have to get one in the future, the sleeve is getting a bit tiresome. Haven't run into any problems with it on my back so far. I used it on the plane with some canalphones, and it made the trip back much more pleasant. United Economy sucks for inflight entertainment.

19. slobber

slobber Member

Great review, I might be tempted to finally buy one of these to play with though only a single core Atom worries me, might wait till a dual core is released :)

20. r3flexion

r3flexion Member

Seems to be two different keyboard layouts on these laptops:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second one... DO NOT WANT! :Paranoid:

The first one, however, is awesome. I have been waiting for someone to make a decent keyboard like this!