Samsung NC10 Review

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by zfind, Dec 12, 2008.

1. SSJX

SSJX Member

just to let people know, the new intel atom 1.66ghz with GN40 chipset (even lower power requirements) should be released soon

it can also run HD flawlessly (unlike the current atom with the 4-yr old 945 chipset)

2. rhysxanthis

rhysxanthis Member

After some digging around on the box and in the bios, i've come to the determination that my laptop was manufactured this month, and in all likelihood, on the 9th of february (maybe take a couple of days).

Its just over a week old! Quite astounded really!

3. Imitation

Imitation Member

And it went all the way from China (?) over to the UK and then allll the way back to Australia.. even crazier! :)

4. rhysxanthis

rhysxanthis Member

Now i'm not so sure it was made in Feb (Maybe not as late as the 9th), the only markings are on an outer box which everyone seems to have got, but not the samsung box...bizarre.

i'll just say it til i'm proven wrong:p

yeah my sammy will have a life:p...Melbourne, Singapore, Qatar, Greece before July:p (not counting its already been to Singapore on its way here from England!!)

5. clandestino

clandestino Member

Will the Samsung NC10 get this update though?

6. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

Well, I finally order a NC10 yesterday from www.handtec.co.uk . Most bizarre thing is that I'm in Hong Kong right now and an NC10 from UK works out to be cheaper than buying it locally here, even with shipping! Cheapest NC10 in HK is around $3700 HKD and from UK it's £304.89 + shipping, which works out to be around $3321 HKD. That's around $75 AUD savings. Not to mention comes pre-installed with english XP (in HK it comes with chinese XP).

Had a hard time choosing colour but ended up getting the white one cos the plastic on the black looks a bit cheap.

Hopefully it will arrive soon, cos it seems to be on pre-order now (out of stock?).

Well mine would be from China (?) to UK and back to Hong Kong, which is just over the border, and still cheaper :p

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  7. kenpachi

kenpachi Member

this is the nc20?

8. SSJX

SSJX Member

don't think so, the nc20 is via based

perhaps the nc15??

9. dazzyd

dazzyd Member

yep that is true and its is coming first to the EEEpc 1000HE in a couple of weeks time. i believe all the other manufacturers will take up this new chip once it becomes established

10. Radix

Radix Member

Many thanks for this review and your comments about where to get one of these.

I'd read a lot about this netbook and was very interested but hadn't realised it wasn't available locally until I read this and a similar whirlpool thread on the laptop.

After reading this I decided to throw caution to the wind and ordered one from Handtec - total cost + fedex shipping to my door worked out to be $660 so an awesome price for what I hope will be an awesome netbook!

ps. my only caveat with this netbook has been the UK keyboard layout - anyone tried using a US keyboard layout and thought of getting some replacement keyboard stickers for it?

11. OP
    OP
    zfind

zfind Member

It's not that big of a deal, I was contemplating the same thing but invariably you will either get used to the UK layout (it's probably different by about ten keys maximum) or just leave windows set to US International and not look at the keyboard. Don't stress about it. The NC10 is far better than any other netbook I've tried even with the Beefeater keyboard.

12. Jonsta

Jonsta Member

Why doesn't Samsung sell this in Aus :upset:

Looking at picking one of these up but definitely need the US keyboard - anyone have any ideas where I can order one in from the US or other countries that have the US layout? (e.g. Hong Kong I guess?)

13. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

NC10 from Hong Kong has US keyboard but chinese Win XP. If you don't mind reinstalling XP again, then go for it. But HK is still selling for more than the UK, hence why the best option is just to get the UK one (read my post near the top).

PS: I've actually cancelled my order from Handtec (re: my last post) because I've decided to wait for the N280 CPU and GN40 chipset combo to arrive on netbooks later in the year. Would still be my 1st choice if I was after a netbook right now.

14. clandestino

clandestino Member

trust me, you do not "need" the US keyboard. I moved to Australia 5yrs ago from the UK, and I was surprised that a couple of keys were in different positions over here.

1hr later it didn't matter because the old grey matter had kicked in. Now I use a UK keyboard at home and a US keyboard at work, but I don't even realise that I am typing on two different layouts.

15. Khalil

Khalil Member

16. Sadant

Sadant Member

new touchpad, longer battery life, glossy finish? not much of an upgrade really

17. Sancus

Sancus New Member

Just ordered a blue one from Handtec.

Only thing that is bbugging me is the cord. Their tech ppl said it only comes with a UK plug. So what have ppl been doing to get around it? Is it just buy a kettle plug and it works? Orr can u cut the plug and re-wire an aussie one?

18. OP
    OP
    zfind

zfind Member

Generic Jaycar or DSE kettle plug does the trick, easier than chopping the end off.

19. Radix

Radix Member

Mine arrived from handtec today - damn that was fast.. ordered monday morning and arrived thursday after lunch :)

As for the power cord.. it's just your small iec or figure 8 plug. You probably have one lying around somewhere from some old appliance or you can pick one up from jaycar or something like that - easy to get hold of!

Love this netbook already - build quality is superb and it's been great so far! :)

Playing with OSX on it now.. seems to run that nicely too!

20. NRGU

NRGU Member

radix - which OSX iso did you use to make it run? And does everything still work when using osx, ie webcam/bt/wifi? My other laptop can run osx... but has no graphical drivers, so the screen resolution it thinks the laptop has it tiny :(