Samsung Note 8

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Kookooburra, Aug 23, 2017.

1. mils1

mils1 Member

Screen is really good, had to turn of Wi-Fi calling as it made the call quality hard to make out. Battery isn't as bad as some would believe, it's actually pretty good. QHD+ HDR looks great. Ended up getting the Samsung Rugged with kickstand as the UAG Monarch felt flimsy on the sides, Samsung case doesn't add much to the sides or top and feels really good. The glass I got temporarily has adhesive around the edges and it does the job but I reckon the Whitestone will be better. S pen is heaps better than the note 4, when transferring notes from note 4 it didn't go in the s note app as the note 8 uses a different app and the transferred notes went into that app. When browsing in landscape the long screen makes it easy to read but due to the aspect ratio images will be chopped. Over the note 4 what it gains in height it easily looses that on width. Speaker placement is not the best as your hand can block the sound depending on how you hold it but is louder and clearer than the note 4 speaker. Just typed this in landscape and the keyboard takes more than half the screen and I only have a 20mm high zone typing this, if you can remove the address bar it would be better. Headphones supplied aren't that much better than the old Samsung ones.

UPDATE: The glass protector (Cygnet) i'm using while i'm waiting for the Whitestone dome glass ruins the sensitivity of the screen and it has to dot matrix

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. shizmo

shizmo Member

Get a 3rd party keyboard you can edit how much screen it takes or how big your letters are etc... Got Swiftkey years ago never looked back.

3. thecondor

thecondor Member

I use google keyboard.

I am loving this phone. Man I have missed having the pen.

4. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Ditto.
    I definitely have much more reason to use the pen on this phone. My old Note 3 was getting so slow with current software that it was faster to just type (or grab an actual Post-It Note). Absolutely love the ability to take notes on the lock screen.

Other elements for me are extra-snappy too. Android Pay works flawlessly now, games boot so much faster and I can actually install loads of apps for a change (the Note 3 would quickly state that it had run out of space after 20 or so apps when it still had gigs of space left).

The always-on screen is a new novelty for me too - I love how quickly I can hang up after a call now rather than wait a second or two for the screen to be re-activated.

5. thecondor

thecondor Member

Man I can't get over the screen. I have had a s8+ also. Its just gorgeous. The note 8 is a big chunk of sexy.

6. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Iphone arena score the i8 higher than the note 8...LOL.
    Note 8 has the best screen, 32bit audio, a 3.5mm jack, SPen, yet i8 is better hahhaahaha

7. 2SHY

2SHY Member

No doubt the A11 CPU has always been powerful. Qualcomm has been slacking in this area and they need to up their game.

But most people do not spend their lives doing benchmarks.

I do like the stylus and the screen of the Galaxy Note 8,. It has it own unique selling points.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  8. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

benchmarks are LOL ... the actual difference in real life is actually non existant when you see the videos compare them side by side in real applications.

benchmarks that actually are useful like battery life and charging speed, the note shits all over the iphone... at any rate, no one buys 1 or the other because of benchmarks, its the whole eco system which i personally very dislike apples because it assumes the user is super stupid.

for me, the note8 has been a perfect upgrade from my previous note 4.

my only complaint is the speakers are pretty shit and the placement of the shitty speakers make even shittier.

9. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Get a decent set of headphones, my Htc10 has loud external speakers but I never use them unless it's low bitrate ytube crap.

10. wraith666

wraith666 Member

Well after waiting an age for the V30 and my Note 4 getting worse by the day I bit the bullet and got one of these instead. Loving it so far. Camera is obviously amazing compared to what I am used to. Nice and zippy. Luckily I have no issues with the finger print scanner.

11. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

anyone know where you go to register phone to get the 1 year screen replacement coverage?

Just did my redemption for wireless charger, such a pain being business customer.. I essentially had to send them a screenshot of preorder confirmation email which had no mention of note 8.. included the guy's phone number and email saying contact him for proof.. will see how i go..

12. HyRax1

Open the "mySamsung" app on your phone and register there. Have a JPG (not PDF) scan of your invoice ready to upload as your proof of purchase.

13. wraith666

wraith666 Member

Thank you. Registered.

14. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

thanks mate, ill give it a 'crack' tonight.

15. HyRax1

Another thing to do is enable your Android Pay - they seem to be giving away a lot of gift cards at the moment to encourage you to use it more. Have picked up a few Coles cards already myself.

16. HyRax1

Bought the Dex dock yesterday and been having a good amount of fun with it on the Note 8. Far snappier than I expected. I reckon I could seriously do a lot of my day to day work on this.

Only downers is that it only supports 2K output at this time (though the dock is capable of 4K as stated on the box, suggesting a possible future firmware/software upgrade), the audio by default always goes to the phone and not the external display (but you can manually change this in each instance), and few apps are aware of the extra screen real estate provided by Dex (pretty much all of Google's and most of Microsoft's apps work full screen, some games, some utilities, etc - Samsung are apparently encouraging developers to add Dex support to their apps).

Also got the Gear VR with controller pack (the version intended for use with the Note 8) today so will be trying that out tonight.

17. neoprint

neoprint Member

That's disappointing, you'd expect at least 2560x1440 since that's basically the resolution of the screen on the phone.

Although disappointing is basically how I've found this phone to be in general, I knew the swap assure on my plan would be handy but not this soon, I've absolutely hated this phone, which is a bit strange and I'm reasonably certain I'm the only person that doesn't like it LOL

18. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

That's really funny, I am quite enjoying this phone. I wasn't a huge fan of Android after my last experience. But I find this all much improved, both software and hardware.

19. Moochin_Bastard

Moochin_Bastard Member

Neo what is it that you dislike about the note 8?

20. wraith666

wraith666 Member

So something I noticed today. My SD card doesn't show up when I plug the phone into a PC. Any one else experienced this?