Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 The world’s first 4K 240Hz Quantum MiniLED

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Jan 3, 2022.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Samsung has announced a new 4K 240Hz gaming monitor ahead of CES 2022. The monitor is the Odyssey Neo G8 and is the world's first 4K (3,840 x 2,160) Mini LED display to run at a 240 Hz refresh rate -- a combination that should scare off even the best graphics cards.

https://wccftech.com/samsung-to-rev...irst-4k-240hz-quantum-miniled-gaming-display/
    https://news.samsung.com/kr/삼성전자-ces-2022서-모니터-신제품-대거-공개
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-odyssey-g8-4k-240hz-gaming-monitor

[​IMG]

RnR and Trizae like this.
  2. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

jeez my x38 is making my 3080 cry, 4k 240hz... that's intense.

3. havabeer

havabeer Member

Yeah unless you're playing cs:go alot of games are going to struggle at 4k 240hz

Great for content creation though

4. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

[​IMG]

havabeer likes this.
  5. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Let's hope Samsung learnt their lesson from the little debacle with the G9 Neo and release it with well tested firmware. It was only thanks to Hardware Unboxed testing that an issue was found with HDR and was only just fixed a couple of months ago with updated firmware.

qwertylesh likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Considering the price they charge, the tech is great, but the software needs work even with firmware update.

7. Teddidao

Teddidao Member

fucking hell, I think this might be my holy grail.

8. kila7475

kila7475 Member

Not only that, they've once again lied about their HDR rating, using their 'Quantum HDR2000' certification.

In reality, this won't even be bright enough for Vesa DisplayHDR1000, which is why they've used it to confuse customers

9. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Why do you say it won't be bright enough for DisplayHDR 1000?

Samsung's existing TV panels that they've branded 'QHDR 2000' often have peak brightness in excess of 2000 nits, with even SDR peak brightness in the 1600 nit range and full-screen sustained brightness in the 700 nit range.

With this monitor using the same technology and having over 2000 dimming zones, it's a safe bet that it will crush DisplayHDR 1000 certification and likely meet or exceed DisplayHDR 1400 also. That, combined with 4k and 240hz makes this a pretty amazing technical feat IMHO.

10. kila7475

kila7475 Member

They're using the exact same technology in the Neo G9 which hasn't been very good thus far. If you check out some of the Hardware Unboxed videos regarding it, HDR was practically unusable at launch and even now after 4 different firmware upgrades I still wouldn't describe it as great. It only hits a peak of 1000 nits (not sustained) and the tone mapping can be off. I have a HDR1000 monitor (Acer X27) which does HDR substantially better and brighter, and I've compared the two side by side. Their HDR2000 is false advertising, and it hits 2000 nits at a very very specific window for only a second or two

The 4k 240hz would be an amazing technical feat, but as it'll most likely be able to do so through DSC, which on the G9 has caused problems from scanlines to flickering and more. Considering this has another 10% of bandwidth to deal with I am willing to bet that this will be a nightmare come launch

11. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Weird. I watched the Hardware Unboxed review of the Neo G9 and it does seem a bit disappointing and just....inconsistently strange.

I wonder why their monitor results are so different to their larger, TV panels. Maybe it's easier to drive more power to the backlights when they're spaced further apart.

12. kila7475

kila7475 Member

They did a follow up video of the review after every single user insisted that HDR was broken. They essentially had to guide Samsung on how to fix the issue. Hardware wise these panels are fantastic, especially the local dimming etc but the software is abhorrent.

Compared to their high end monitors, the TV market is significantly larger, and they therefore likely have 10x the amount of people working on them