Samsung or Seagate 1.5tb?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by S-Kimo, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Ashtefere

Ashtefere Member

Wrong.

Just bought a 1500 from centrecom a month or so ago, 7200.11 - still has the same firmware issues of the drive locking/bricking after a few minutes of use.

They swapped me to a WD 1TB black instead, and it is just lovely.

-Ash

2. Hamulus

Hamulus Member

All were from IT Estate. Been going there for years now (and purchasing mainly Seagate drives) and it's never happened before. Besides this, there is nothing physically wrong with the drives when they fail. It's been firmware failure every time. Burnt with the 1TB 7200.11s earlier in the year and failed to learn my lesson. Bought the 2 1TB 7200.12s a month apart and still both failed simultaneously. Kicking myself for my stupid brand loyalty.
    Supposedly it was only the 1TB 7200.11s that had faulty firmware and the issue has been rectified since then, but since this happened and I've been posting in storge forums first to try to recover the data and then to bitch because I couldn't, have heard of many other Seagate drives having the same trouble, from 500GB drives through to 1.5TB ones, all bought in the last year. I think I was unlucky and some condition just happened to occur in my system which was just the trigger that the firmware required to shit itself (for both drives to go at the same time). This unluckiness on my part does not let Seagate off the hook though.

3. OP
    OP
    S-Kimo

S-Kimo Member

Ahahaha that's a classic!

4. OP
    OP
    S-Kimo

S-Kimo Member

i have 3 seagate drives: 2x1tb and 1x 500gb and they are all running strong

5. Snoops

Snoops Member

I've had a quite a few 7200.12's (1.5tb) fail now.

I am up to 6 out of 10 drives die. There is no real pattern of them dying thou. All of them are less than 6 months old. Two different batches - two different stores.

6. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

i lol at this.

seagate dont make 1.5tb 7200.12's.

you sir, are awesome. tiem to troll elsewehere :)

7. ewok85

ewok85 Member

I have two dead ST31000340AS, and one dead ST31000333AS on my desk, another has been clicking like mad so its been removed from the system and will go back as well. The other 5 340's drives I have seem OK, but I figure it might just be a matter of time now.

I bought two ST31000528AS a few months ago - one died within a week and was swapped no-questions-asked at the store, and the new one had already acted weird.

I think I might return the broken drives, invest in a few WD20EADS and just ebay all these Seagates :( I've never seen anything like this before, I have some older Seagates, half a dozen raptors, and a few other brands which are still in use many, many years later.

8. neK

neK Member

I was at MSY Chipping Norton on the weekend and ordered a Seagate 1.5TB 7200.11 drive.

The guy brought it out and then warned me a lot of these were coming within 3 months or so because they were dead cos of firmware issues. Needless to say i told him to give me a 1.5TB WD Green drive... i wanted a faster drive, but not at the expense of lost data.

9. Hamulus

Hamulus Member

IT Estate rock! Brought my failed 1TB 7200.12s back and when the reconditioned replacements came back and I asked to exchange, they swapped them for Samsung F3s for an extra $4. Was so stoked. Did not want to bring home drives I could not rely on to keep my data safe, and got a speed boost too.

Got WD greens in my HTPC. Don't really need super-fast drives anyway and I am amazed how cool they are after a few hours on full load! Considering that it is usually heat that causes them to fail over time, these greens could last for decades...

10. Alpha2k6

Alpha2k6 Member

got a few drives of each brand.. Seagate, Samsung, Western..

they all seem about the same.. have had maybe 2 western fail and 1 seagate iirc, samsung is the brand ive had the shortest time, so no fail there yet knock on wood. :)

I like Seagate for some reason.. dunno why lol. but other brands have been avalible at good store prices.. so got a mixed bag of disks :)

11. aza2001

aza2001 Member

just bought 8x 1.5TB seagate drives and set them up in my linux box...

all seem to be going alright

I had some serious bad luck with the samsung drives I went through all 16 of mine needed to be RA'd

all drives purchased from IT ESTATE

its just the luck of the draw too many factors to worry about what brand etc.

for me its more or less warrenty and turn around time. both too me are valid options its really do you want to spend the extra few $$ on seagate or save a few bob on samsung?

At the time samsung were out of stock so i went with seagate

12. rowan194

rowan194 Member

You RMA'd 100% of your 16 drive purchase? Holy cow. What was wrong with them?

13. passivekid

passivekid Member

Eeek I just order 10 x Samsung F3 1TB :~

14. aza2001

aza2001 Member

all 16 drives have been replaced due to bad sectors, and one that just died in the arse just plane old stopped working while i was at work.

I think its over 16 drives at the moment as i could be onto round 2 of one of the drives that were RA'd like 12months ago.

i changed everything:

UPS
    PSU
    Motherboards
    RAID controllers

All drives as cooled and don't get very hot at all.

Especially when they were at my parents place which they all hung around the 25-30deg mark.

So yeah no idea... maybe just luck of the draw :)

15. passivekid

passivekid Member

The replaced drives going ok?

16. seamer

seamer Member

I'm a defacto Seagate boy, my mother-in-law is a high level employee there so it feels wrong to mention WD/Samsung around the house sometimes.:D

17. aza2001

aza2001 Member

as i said i belive I am onto round two of getting them RA'd

Once I finish migrating all my data over this weekend, ill be RAing all the drives i think just so i have a fresh bash for when i deploy them in other area's of my network

18. dylan123

dylan123 Member

Ah my WD HDD clicks heaps, does your HDD freeze when it happens? mine can freeze for about 3-4min sometimes and the only thing that will work ins minesweeper... untill the clicking stops

19. rowan194

rowan194 Member

Sounds similar to my horror story with 4 Seagate drives... with all of the failures (7 in total) I ended up with 2 new drives (over the counter replacements, one was DOA, the other reported a SMART error within 24 hours), and 6 refurbs over the next 18 months...

At one point I'd upgraded and replaced everything, only the case was the same, but the drives kept dying. I changed to WD and although there have been a couple of failures since that's out of 20something WD drives, so it's definitely nowhere near the level of probs I had with Seagate.

To make matters worse 3 USA servers that were commissioned at different hosts, with 2 Seagate drives each (didn't have the choice of brand unfortunately), had problems within a few days of being handed over... 6 more drives replaced... it's like a curse.

I've now got servers with WD Black drives, they haven't skipped a beat. :thumbup: