Samsung S22 Ultra..early 2022.

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Kookooburra, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Looks like the note21ultra was delayed 6months and will be released as the S22 Ultra.

It looks good and should be wicked fast compared to my note20ultra.

I never care about the entry level S model, and might care about the s22+ if it has at least a 6.7in screen, but I'm hearing sizes between 6.5 and 6.7.
    I've said this before, 6.4/6.5 suck....but just moving up to 6.7 makes a huge difference in viewing performance.

I doubt I'll have the patience to wait beyond the release of the S22ultra, anyway, there's nothing to wait for as there won't be a August 2022 release of a note.

2. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

S22 will have Ray tracing.
    We'll deffo be able to max crisis 3 at 4k.

3. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Given this news, Samsung S22 Ultra will be the king of...

1 screen
    2..brightness, 1800nits, in case 16 or 1700 wasn't enough.
    3...optical image stabilisation.
    4 operating system
    5 build quality especially if stainless steel frame is used

6...camera?..if not the king, should be one of the top 3 cameras.

4. Phido

Phido Member

Where is my SD card slot...

5. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Can't you go over to the darksied and use Apple?

6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

An SD card slot is just delays the inevitable when you have to move your files off your phone.

A mini USB-C storage device, cloud upload or sync back to your home server is the way to go.

7. Phido

Phido Member

Has apple ever had a sd slot.. ??
    I get it. Thats what should happen. But there are several reasons to have massive storage:
    • You are frequently overseas/out of reception and you want all your stuff on your phone. So Spotified/netflix/google maps data/.. All downloaded. If you travel on planes, having a decent selection of media, on your phone is really nice. If you travel in remote areas and communities, again, huge benefit
    • You shoot a lot of video. If you need to shoot video, I like semi professionally, or as part of your job, then having more than 128Gb is extremely useful. While you should upload it, that isn't always convenient or possible. While your phone isn't always your main camera device, sometimes it can be because you always have it, because it easy to bring, because it may be illegal to film (like in 3rd world countries) etc.. .
    • I like being able to basically remove and flip my Sd card into a new device.
    Now if the new gen of phones came, standard with 512Gb or 1tb of storage, then I would worry less about that. But we seem to be in this awkward zone of 128Gb being "the standard" and SD slots disappearing. It seems a lot of retailers don't stock or even sell the higher capacity versions 256Gb (which is still pretty lame particular in the world of 50Mp cameras), and they are never on sale. Plus, I just like have mass storage on my device.

I know that for most people who live in Europe/US or Korea they expect to have fast 5g connectivity all the time, always have charging, etc. But Australia is a bit different, lots of people want a premium phone with offline storage, lasts more than 12 hrs fully charged, waterproof, nice camera etc.

I dunno.. Maybe its just me..
    Holding out for the Pixel 6, or I am going to Get a S20 FE..

The pixel 6 is mean to be mind blowing, with Google tensor cores, super camera, super battery.

8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

1. I've done the overseas/long travelling thing, one of those tiny USB-C USB's were perfect. You can even leave it in your phone.

I shoot a lot of video as well, I even use super high bitrate 4k so disk space is very important. At the end of each day I sync via FTP to my home server and if internet is a problem, I copy it to the USB.

The SD Card idea was great when you could easily remove/insert it, but these days being in the sim card slot its such a pain.

9. Phido

Phido Member

I kinda like my USBC port to be clear for the 3.5 headphone adapter, or charging.
    I have a habit on travel to plug in headphones and fall asleep. My BT headphones are always flat because of this.

Wouldn't be an issue if the phones themselves came standard with 512GB+ of storage. Then yeh, don't need it. If I am paying $1000+ I would expect more than 128GB of storage.
    But I haven't had a 128Gb storage on my phone since like 2015..

IMO data storage and battery life are two pretty important factors for a high end product. They enable other high end features. There is no reason not to fit them.

[​IMG]

10. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

I'd love more storage as well, but which part of "planned obsolescence" don't you understand?..lol.

If the economy doesn't die in the future, I might buy a DAP with SD card slot and load my 750g-1t worth of flac, then phone storage will be irrelevant for me, granted my last 3 phones had 256g built in.

I also bought a 5000mah battery bank 3 months ago, but I've never used it.

These large screens jug juice like there's no tomorrow, but I'll never go below 6.7in.

It's possible the s22 ultra will be so good that I might keep it beyond 2yrs.

11. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Supposedly the final design of the s22 ultra.

12. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Likely s22 ultra design confirmed

Sal has a go at Apple users as well.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

One thing I'm not happy with the S20 Ultra is that focussing issue on close ups, so might look at getting an S22 if that's been addressed, which I'm sure it has by now.

Kookooburra likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

We should also get a boost in power, battery performance and camera.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Sounds good. Battery performance boost would be awesome. What have you heard in terms of the boost numbers?

16. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

It wouldn't surprise me to get 20-30% on battery and 40-50% on power.

K

17. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

4 colours....I'm thinking red or black, probably black.
    Camera specs aren't a heavy upgrade, but it should mean very stable and effective performance.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Quite honestly, and given history, that would surprise me if we even got close to that. I'd be more than happy if that were the case though.

19. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

The 990 which we have was fairly ordinary on battery life, but the s22 will be 2 generations ahead so there should reasonable improvements to battery.

Anyway, one way to improve battery life is to get a new phone with brand new battery.

I see no reason the s22 ultra won't be one of the best phones and one of the best looking.

20. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

4 colours confirmed.
    Design confirmed along with camera updates.
    Unless I'm mistaken, Australia gets the new and powerful exynos soc, which includes the potent AMD Graphics chip.

Not sure if the entire s22 line gets AMD, but deffo the S22ULTRA.

My note20ultra is 15months old and hasn't skipped a beat, so one would assume similar efficiency and overall quality.

I'm still waiting to hear if the S22 ultra has a stainless or aluminium frame.

MR CHILLED likes this.