1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung S22 Ultra..early 2022.

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Kookooburra, Sep 27, 2021.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'm going to have to upgrade soon, can't stand the camera on the S20 Ultra. I know there's work arounds, but it still gives me the shites.

2. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

I think we'll both be happy.
    I wish more info would come out on our exynos version though.
    I think the split is 70/30 SD/exynos.

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

only complaint is the camera otherwise I've been very happy with it and all the other Sammy's I've had in the past.

4. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

So launch is Feb 8 and release is 25th of Feb.
    They'll be plenty of ytube vids comparing s21u vs s22u and presumably note20u, though I plan to get my s22u asap.

The exynos version should be very powerful on gfx as its a AMD developed component, but hopefully the exynos performs well overall.

It'll be interesting to see what the prices are...I'm pretty sure the note20ultra was over 1300USD, but the base model 12gig s22u is supposed to be 1200USD.

BTW, my note20ultra 5G is 3x faster than my 4G tab s wrt internet speed, the s22u might be 10-15% faster again.

Based on the quality of my note20ultra, I'm expecting a lot from the s22ultra, and I'm quite confident Samsung will deliver.

5. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Really looking forward to checking it out in person. Not sure how sold I am on the design compared to the current S21 Ultra, which I like personally. But I guess this new design looks a lot slimmer than the current.

6. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

My S105G was a similar design to S21ULTRA, but I prefer the note20ultra.
    S22ultra is very similar to the note20ultra.

7. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

True, true, the current camera bump design I do like. I hope Samsung will announce longer android support for these devices as well. They are improving on that side and also removing ads from their native apps as well.

Kookooburra likes this.
  8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

My S21 Ultra is by far the best phone I've ever owned and is probably the last phone I'll own for the foreseeable future. The camera is better than my DSLR for instant pix, the 120Hz Amoled 5.8" screen is crisp and bright and plenty good enough for my failing old eyes.

The 512GB internal memory is fine for me. Initially I lamented not having an SD card slot, but in reality I don't really need it anyway. All of my files are automatically uploaded to the cloud anyway (google drive) and I don't remember ever having needed a bigger storage solution than my last 3 phones which all had 128GB 0nboard and 256GB additional SD storage (although they could have had more, I just kept the same card and moved it to each of the next phones).

The speakers are loud enough for people to ask you to turn it down on occasion, and speaker quality is great. Of course bass is a little lacking, but having even a little bass is impressive given the tiny speakers and enclosures that all mobile phones have to contend with. Hook some decent headphones up via the 3.5 headphone jack ( yes, the phone has one !! ) or BT and it becomes obvious that audio processing is superior. I use House of Marley Exodus headphone connected via BT and I find the sound to be exceptionally good.

I make regular use of the NFC feature, and the on screen fingerprint scanner is the first fingerprint scanner I've ever had that I've found to be fast and accurate enough to use as my primary screen unlock method. The face recognition also works OK, but with maybe a 50% success rate still not quite mature enough I think. 16GB RAM and a Snapdragon 888 CPU makes it more than capable of handling all of the bleeding edge software.

TLDR;
    I think virtually all current phones are more than capable of doing everything well, and it is becoming harder and harder for the latest phones to do something which makes them stand out from the crowd. The S22 is a perfect example of this, I can't see anything compelling that makes me want to upgrade from the S21. Sad but true!!

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'm not concerned so much about the design, it will just be another iteration of the previous, but moreso the camera because of the issues I had with the S20 U.

I'm pretty sure, bar no major issue with it, that I'll change to the S22 U.

10. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Yah the auto focus issues that was present in the S20 ultra, did they make it any better with updates?

11. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Not sure about s20ultra, but from memory they made HW changes for note20ultra.
    I'm not a huge camera user, but I don't consider my note20ultra to have anything but a very good camera.

As for ratzz's comments, Samsung and presumably a handful of others have been making good phones for at least the last 2 yrs.

I almost feel silly upgrading my note, but as there won't be anything worthwhile till this time next yr, it seems like a good time.

My note has never let me down in anyway, never required resetting, and is built like a tank, which is not something to under estimate given the cost of these ultras.

Will s22, s22+ be good, more than likely, but the ultras are as good as it gets.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It sort of addressed the issue yeah but not in a way I was overly happy with. Images still don't come out great imo.

13. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

For such a top end phone at the time, it always surprises me how this kind of stuff gets missed in development.

While it seems these S22's will have the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 SoC in the usual places...i'm guessing Australia will get the Exynos variant...maybe the Exynos 2200 + AMD RDNA? hope it's comparable...

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8370...00-amd-rdna-2-gpu-drops-january-11/index.html

14. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

I'm thinking s20/note20 exynos owners can expect 25% more cpu power, but probably 40% on gpu.

As stated before, new exynos launching January 11...

15. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Some info on the improvements of s22ultra.
    Whilst it's not the end of the world, I now suspect the s22 line will all have aluminium frames...the note20ultra had stainless steel.

That said, the s22ultra should be the best phone ever made overall, notably it's camera experience, screen quality and 1750nits of brightness, build quality, sound quality and the outstanding operating system Samsung now uses.

BTW, my note20ultras sound quality is better than my HTC10 on both earphones and external speakers.

No need to accuse me of being a Samsung ultra fanboy, I happily admit to it.

thecondor likes this.
  16. thecondor

thecondor Member

Hey mate do you use stock Samsung software or install a launcher? I find the no badge counter very infuriating with Samsung software.

17. cvidler

cvidler Member

my first install on any new phone is Nova Launcher followed by aCalendar+

thecondor likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

The only thing I do is change my themes every so often.

Personally I have no desire to change the launcher, but many people on these tech sites consider it mandatory, lol.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Couple of interesting things, so let me get this right, the Note is now the Ultra and Ultra is now the Plus?

Also I like the fast charger, but have to buy separately? /sigh. Any idea what sort of charge time difference between stock charger supplied and this additional one?

20. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

Yeah, that is basically it.

MR CHILLED likes this.