1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung S22 Ultra..early 2022.

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Kookooburra, Sep 27, 2021.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Unless I'm mistaken, the boxes are a lot slimmer than boxes with chargers :) Anywho the change is there either way...

2. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

3. thecondor

thecondor Member

4. cvidler

cvidler Member

there's a back room license/patent agreement in place where Qualcomm won't let Samsung use Exynos in the US.

thecondor likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Why doesn't Samsung buy qualcomm

6. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Sal and Co suggest strong possibility that S22 will use Snapdragon everywhere.
    Not sure of the future of the exynos 2200.

Will there be delays in former exynos regions....possible but no info as yet.

7. thecondor

thecondor Member

If that’s true, day one purchase for me.

Kookooburra likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

LOL.....fair enough, the new SD does sound like a killer SOC, in fact I've been wondering how samsung would compete against it.
    I assumed with AMDs input it would've been one of their better chips, but looks like it needs more development time.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Finger crossed :thumbup: I'll still probably get it regardless, as I gotta move away from this S20 Ultra.

10. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

11. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s22-killer-upgrade-just-shot-down-by-new-leak

Buggered if I know, but probably anything goes atm, however it might be the case that the exynos 2200 will launch on Feb 8th despite the bizarre cancellation of their Jan 11th exynos "launch".

Exynos 2200 benchmarks actually beat the SD 8gen1 on multicore workloads, and surely to xhrist with AMD GFX should beat it on gaming...that leaves single core performance where SD is probably at least 10% faster.

Given the uncertainty I'll deffo be waiting for reviews and comparisons.

12. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

I think I’d be more confident with a Qualcomm processor in my s22 than a exynos at the moment. In the future that may change…maybe the second gen of that config..

There is the usual talk that the snapdragon is going to throttled…I can only imagine the exynos.

13. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Given the exynos launch problem, I'm certainly going wait a bit to ensure whatever variant we get is worthy.

As far as throttling is concerned, we've seen that for yonks with GPUs, notebooks with 8 core CPUs throttled to 6 core performance etc, however the real benchmark for phones is not Apple vs Snapdragon, but Snapdragon vs Samsung.

That said, Australian's don't get the luxury of choice, we just probably get the exynos(but who knows for sure at this stage), so if the 2200 is better than my 990, I have no choice but to be satisfied as I don't get to reject it in favour of the Snapdragon if I want to stay with Samsung.

Iow, it doesn't matter what Snapdragon performance is if all we get is exynos, so all that matters is that the 2200 is decent and the S22ultra is a champ...at least to my way of thinking.

14. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Sadly true, the markets that aren’t America will always get a mix. For me performance isn’t the biggest thing as I’m not a phone gamer. I just hope the modem that they use performs well, app and ui are smooth, and battery life is on par with Qualcomm offering….

Kookooburra likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

What phone do you currently have MoNkEY?

16. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Combination of a S9+ and note 10 for work. Keen for an upgrade soon and the s21 ultra was going to be my next, but ended up just waiting as the need vs want came into play :lol:

Kookooburra likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Wow, you should be very happy if u go s22ultra.
    Note10 is exynos 980, so you've got 990, 2100 to leap over.
    The s22ultra has a 5000mah battery vs 4500 in my note20ultra.

I'm done making predictions given the botched 2200 launch, but there's too much competition for Samsung to release a dodgy ultra model.

18. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Yep should be a nice upgrade, whats why it’s sometimes tough to upgrade every year or every second pending what new features are use cases. The 2 years of Covid make it easier not to upgrade.

I actually prefer the design of the s21 ultra compared to what I’ve seen with the s22 ultra/note combo. But in person is a bit different.

But I’m hoping Samsung will commit to software update strategy like with the latest foldable series.

Kookooburra likes this.
  19. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Do we know from all the rumours is the only feature this year will be related to the camera tech and or processor? As I haven’t seen anything on face value apart from these two components….

20. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

I suspect everything will be upgraded, ie,

Camera.
    The glass
    5G modem....it'll probably go over 1gig in the right spot.

I'm hearing that the 2200 will launch on the 8th of Feb and all is well,but obviously we'll need some serious confirmation considering the 11th Jan cancellation.

Let's be honest, unless they do something stupid beyond belief, the 2200 should be good overall and obliterate S9/S10, in fact my note20ultras camera is miles ahead of my old S105G, and we've got the improvements from 2100 as well.

My note20ultra has never let me down, never required a reset etc, never faltered after SW updates, and it does everything I ask of it.

As I said before, I feel silly handing back my note20ultra, but once I've set s22ultra up, I think I'll be happy for years.