1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung S22 Ultra..early 2022.

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Kookooburra, Sep 27, 2021.

1. thecondor

thecondor Member

Correct me if im wrong, however leaks indicate that Australia/NZ will get the Snapdragon varient.

2. cvidler

cvidler Member

I wouldn't be making purchasing decisions on unverified leaks.

but having said that, it doesn't matter anyway. it's not like you get a choice of processor, you're choice is buy it as it is or don't buy it.

Kookooburra likes this.
  3. fnp

fnp Member

Is there really that much of a difference with flagship phones anyway?

Call me a luddite but I'm still on an S7 and it's still fine for everything I do. Every time I get a new phone I don't really notice a great deal of difference in terms of performance - in fact, very little.

4. cvidler

cvidler Member

nope, so many people are hung up on benchmark scores. this is a nerd forum after all so it's expected here. but in reality it means bugger all - especially when you don't even have a choice unless you want to go no warranty grey imports.

I had a S7, been on a Note10 5G+ for a while now, and a 22 will most likely be the next one.

a phone is not an extension of my body or personality nor a status symbol, it's a wifi hotspot so I can work where ever I need to. I just need good battery life and good radio module for signal strength/speed.

5. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Huge difference depending on the user.

Camera quality is the biggest change from model to model, maybe not specifically what you were asking but I thought I would mention it.

The rest is CPU/Ram, which will affect web browsing speed or games in real world performance.

To give you an idea, my S21 Ultra is not enough for my needs, the Exynos chip throttles too easily in hot Australian conditions and under load of things like Google Maps and using the camera.

The lack of power also means the phone can't do 8k 30fps and other camera features, which the new snapdragon chip is technically capable of. We won't see those features those as it will make the Exynos chip look bad.

For someone who just wants to use Facebook and Reddit, you could use any old high end phone, for example my old Samsung Note 8 or even my old Note 4.

I've never seen or benchmarked any of my phones in my life but I can still easily tell the lack of processing power for tasks I like to do.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  6. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

7. thecondor

thecondor Member

Kookooburra likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Wow, release date is about one month away.

I'm thinking black, 12gig and 256g, or 16/512 if not outrageously priced "and" available...last time when I went from S105G- Note20ultra, 512g models were weeks away from being in stock.

I have 2 ram monitors, and its never gone over 8gig, so 12 would probably be okay for the average user, but I can always use more disc space=512 ftw.

I popped 990 vs 2200 into that benchmark site and it was 69% more performance on antutu.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Are there indicative Aus $ prices as yet?

10. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

I'd say $1800 for 12/128, and upwards and onwards after that.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I was thinking not a lot of change from previous gen, with drops quickly after release anyways. I think I will hold out a few weeks after release and check for discounting then.

Kookooburra likes this.
  12. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

If I didn't already own an S21 Ultra (Exynos 2100, 512G, 16G) I'd be looking at the S22 but I see little point in upgrading one model upwards. Maybe in another 3 or 4 gens..
    My primary reason for upgrades is always the camera. I came from an A52 5G so pretty much any S would have been an upgrade :D.

Kookooburra likes this.
  13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

My cycle is 2 or 3 models. Likewise I see absolutely no point in doing miniscule incremental upgrades and purchasing a new phone every single year.

14. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I'm exactly the same. I upgraded from the S20 Ultra to the S21 Ultra because it was worth it though.

The main upgrade seems to be a new camera glass to enable slightly more detail on the 108mp, which seems like will make very little difference to the average photo, and 108mp in general seems to suffer from lack of chip power and under performing HDR.

The main problems don't seem to be fixed. No low light improvements to video quality which worse then the competition (Many say due to lack of processor power to do video processing). No low light improvements to the zoom camera. No improvements to the 10x camera video quality when used without a tripod. The zoom lenses are also potentially a downgrade compared to the S21 Ultra. I also assume no improvements to the terrible 60fps quality these phones have, where everything becomes soft and unfocused slightly.

The 8k 24fps is a joke, more like 15fps. The new snapdragon chip can technically turn our existing S21 Ultra camera into 8k 30fps, but its disabled on the S22 Ultra I assume because Exynos can't do it.

I also would have loved to see 4k directors mode with additional features due to more processing power available, I guess thats still possible but unlikely.

In my opinion the S22 Ultra is a S21 Note, it perfectly matches the lack of camera upgrade.

The S22 Note/S23 Ultra will hopefully have the 200mp camera with a processor that can actually help the camera do the job it needs to do.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  15. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Do you own a pro camera?
    What are you filming at 8k...I hope it's not motion heavy?
    These are phones, they're expensive and probably well over priced, but what's the alternative when you want an all in one?

16. bart5986

bart5986 Member

As my phone can do 10bit LogV3 at 4k, its difficult to get a replacement camera for a reasonable price, features and size.

8k doesn't really have anything to do with motion, Its just resolution, and the more the better, even if your final copy is 4k. I don't think I absolutely need 8k, but the only thing stopping my phone from doing 4k/30fps is the chip. Even a steady 24fps at 8k is usable, but the S21 is more like 15-20fps.

Plenty of expensive options but nothing reasonable or all in one in my opinion.

17. miicah

miicah Member

For you, probably not. The S7 has UFS2.0 storage which actually isn't too bad. If you ever see someone complaining that their phone is slow, look it up on gsmarena and I bet it's running eMMC storage.

You would however, notice a massive difference in OS features, camera quality and 4G/5G/BT/WiFi connectivity/reliability.

Kookooburra and thecondor like this.
  18. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Having come from an A52 5G the camera improvements for me are very real. Fantastic in fact, I consider the camera on my S21 Ultra to be considerably superior to my Nikon 3200D in almost every way (but in particular the auto functions), one Vs the other. The low light ability is awesome, far better than the A52 was of course and (Auto vs Auto) even better than the DSLR, not to mention my own lousy biological equipment :lol:.

As far as video goes, I think any camera of any kind that genuinely produces decent 8K video is going to cost you a damn sight more than any phone on the planet. The camera's on modern phones, even the shit ones, are fantastic bang for buck especially given that their primary function is making phone calls, but 8K video is a whole different animal.

When we have these discussions about phones, I think we are all guilty of forgetting just what an amazing all round tool modern phones, even cheap ones, are. FFS I don't even carry a wallet any more, and I have a great camera, an audio AND text message service, a half decent video camera (one that shits all over the circa 1995ish $4K dedicated video camera I used to own, that used full sized VHS tape, had a studio style mic with 6.5mm jack a massive windsock, weighed like 10KG and was carried on my shoulder - although the physical 10x zoom was admittedly better than a digital faux zoom and I certainly wish I could put a windsock on my phone's mic for outdoor memories) in my pocket pretty much anytime I am wearing a pocket. I'm amazed by the quality and volume provided by what must logically be absolutely TINY speakers and speaker cavities, though of course they are inferior to most of the other stuff I have in the house, that's just physics. Hook it up to my BT House of Marley Exodus headphone though and it's a whole different story :thumbup: .

On top of all this, the phone locks 2 minutes after I stop using it
    (my choice of how long it takes of course) making it useless to a thief, or someone who finds it on a coffee table somewhere, but I can unlock all features and functions on it with a simple half second and totally reliable press of my right thumb with an under screen fingerprint reader. If I DO lose it or it's stolen, I can track it to within metres with my computer or another phone and they'll have no chance of checking out any personal data on it. I particularly like that if it goes missing and I remotely disable it, a message appears on the screen telling the person holding it that they can simply press the displayed button, the only one which will work at all, and they'll get through to an alternative number (in my case, Eva's phone) to make arrangements for its return, something which will make most people call in the hope that I might offer a reward IMO. If they try to hold it for ransom I'll just leave it locked and report it stolen, that's what insurance is for (and if they've been stupid enough to take it home at any stage the phone will provide a GPS history of everywhere the phone has been since being locked!! ), but I'm likely to throw them a hundred bucks or so if the phone is returned AND they don't attempt to demand a certain amount of cash before it's back in my hands.

Of course should I accidentally cut my thumb off, or Eva wants to check a text to see if I need to be disturbed while sleeping or something, I or she can always just use the backup PIN to unlock the phone or to input a different finger or the other thumb
    (or facial recognition, but in these days of wearing masks in public or not while at home facial recognition still has a ways to go. It still works fine whether clean shaven or resplendent in shaggy unkempt beard when I haven't bothered shaving though !! ) I'm sure there are a million other things I could add to the list of course but it's not a page of phone specs... of course it's hardly necessary to add 'Mobile' to the list but that was fucking huge when I bought my briefcase phone in the 80's :lol: .

The features modern phones have.. and so many other of the wonderful things offered by the modern age.. are totally off tap to an old bugger like me, and even though I'm uncomfortably close to 70 I can happily say that "the good old days" were not all they are cracked up to be !!! Maybe if I was younger, or less tech savvy, I would see things in a different light, I don't know, but I doubt 'I wouldn't buy a phone if it had Exynos rather than Snapdragon' is something you'd ever have heard me say :lol:.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    Kookooburra likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

This is my problem, I've owned these Samsung devices, devices that many people never own, yet don't seem to understand that even though the price is whacky, that's what it costs and there may not be any meaningful alternative.

My phone has premium everything, premium screen, premium build, premium sound, premium specs and a very good operating system.
    My phone is nearly 18months old and still looks and feels brand new as it's built like a tank.

Bart's opinions simply don't resonate with my experience, in fact why would anyone buy a $2000 phone if his views had merit?

Hes certainly entitled to his views, but I can't sit back here and leave those type of posts alone.

Last Xmas, I had one of my mates walk around and show everybody the screen and the quality of the external speakers, plus anyone who holds a tank like the note line is immediately impressed.

My note20ultra shits over the once mighty HTC10, and the s22ultra will be better than my note pretty much everywhere.

I don't know if that makes it worth 2k, but it's deffo a awesome phone.

Oh btw, I hit 1.002 gig dl speed in Darra/Brisbane...and the s22 is 2 gens up on my modem.

Ratzz and MR CHILLED like this.
  20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Right, these are flagship phones, they are going to cost a lot. Whilst I think they are quite exxy I just accept it and move on very quickly. And anyways, it's more about changeover than anything else. I can sell my old phone for at least $600 normally, so take that off the price and it becomes a pretty decent proposition.

Kookooburra likes this.