Samsung S8 Ads After Update

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by MonoJoker, Sep 30, 2019.

1. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Hi All

I recently started seeing a popup on my S8 (I believe after an update to Android 9) which said it was a health app reminding me to drink water. OK, cleared that but these ads and popups became more and more intrusive over time. I was seeing a popup every time I unlocked the phone like these:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oCpfGwDZKsR82UBY9

And it was a right pain in the arse as I'd have to clear the initial popup followed by an ad before I could use the phone. I tried running Malwarebytes but it found nothing.

In the end after googling the issue, finding no real solutions other than a factory reset and after trying to remove app after app to get rid of the issue I factory reset it. All good, no ads... until today. So less than a week later I start seeing reminders to drink water and ads popping up on unlock.

Is this normal with the new version of Android on the Samsung? If so I'll be changing phones/OSes but is there anything else I can do disable this garbage?

Thanks.

2. therazza

therazza Member

3. OP
    OP
    MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

I did thanks. It turned out to be either Photomyne or Resize Me! I uninstalled both of them together as part of cleaning out all apps and the ads stopped. I haven't got around to reinstalling them one at a time to see exactly which was the culprit. I really haven't used them for so long it's not that important...