Samsung TV no picture displayed

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by PunX0r, Jan 11, 2020.

1. PunX0r

PunX0r Member

Was watching TV yesterday when the picture suddenly disappeared, but sound was still working and I couldn't see any menus.

Tried turning it on and off again, pulling power, but this made no difference. The TV does flash briefly when coming out of standby (I presume this is the back light trying to power up), but quickly goes to black.

Figured this is probably the power supply that is gone and started looking for a replacement.

The board I need is the BN44-00264A and I can find these for about half the price in the US compared to over here, but I am not sure if there is a difference on the input voltage on these that will not allow me to use them on AU TVs.

Should I just stick to boards I can find in AU?

2. merlin13

merlin13 Member

If the power cord plugs directly into that board then RTFM on your user manual perhaps?

Then you'd have to work out is the existing board actually borked, or shutting down in self-defence because something else it's connected to is borked.

3. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

If the TV turns on and you get sound but no picture, then I would not be thinking power supply at all.

The video controller board has likely failed... what is the model # of the TV please?

JSmith

4. power

power Member

SS tv's are notorious for caps too.

5. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

That was a long time ago... PunX0r how old is it?

I've still got an 11 year old 46" Sammy in the bedroom that is on everyday, although is a series 9... still goes strong.

Cheaper models use cheaper parts... pretty standard.

JSmith

6. merlin13

merlin13 Member

First suspicions there are backlight power circuit... ;)

Very prevalent long ago and still crops up, but have fixed quite a few young large TVs (32" and up, less than 5 years old) that had Puffy Cap Syndrome. And even some with Confetti Generator Mode.

Backlight shutting down, first thing I'd be casting a suspicious eye at is around the backlight transformers and look around them for overheated/cooked boards.

That and discolouration on the tubes themselves, just like sick/dead mains lighting fluoros - excessive discolouration at the ends of the tubes, often time to paint the TV bright green and toss it into the long grass.

An annoying trap I've encountered is when the lighting feedback circuit keeps triggering self-defence mode from overvoltage rather than undervoltage.

Be aware you should be sourcing the repair manual for that Idiot Lantern if you want to start poking around on the board, and Insert Serious Safety Disclaimer Here if you want to poke around amidst the high voltages resident inside a TV - there's not only the 230 volt mains but also the >600 volts DC for backlight tubes that can leap out to bite, and that shit stings...

Else do what a hellava lot of people are doing on Farcebook's Marketplace lately - trying to sell dead/broken large screens for Stoopid Dollars... :rolleyes:

Holding that thought as an aside on this, couldn't hurt to look around locally for a compatible one with a broken screen rather than sourcing a board from O/S perhaps...

Even get in touch with any of the Farcebook/Bumtree "Will Take Your Dead TV Away For Free" crowds and see if they've got a board that'll work - done this myself a couple of times over the past coupla years for a few bits.

7. bYrd

bYrd Member

Google the model number (sometimes Samsung have different model numbers in different countries), see if any common faults/fixes. AVforums are a good resource for fixes, if known. Once you start going down the replace Board X, then if not Board Y, you might as well dump it and get another set.

8. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I think we should wait for clarification from the OP... blank/black screen doesn't mean no backlight, no signal to display.

JSmith

9. OP
    OP
    PunX0r

PunX0r Member

Hey guys, sorry I didn't reply sooner.

It's a LA40B650T1FXXY Version SQ02.

10. power

power Member

10 year old 40" 1080p?

time to die.

11. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

PunX0r likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    PunX0r

PunX0r Member

If the T-Con board is gone would this also display no menus but give sound?

13. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

If the backlight is gone but the panel is working if you shine a light on the screen you should see the picture... if not, then I'd suggest it may be the VE or VC t-con board, or both.

JSmith