Samsung U900 "Soul" Thread

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Aratama_Bashi, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

hey guys

this a thread for the U900. that is all.

originally, telstra had an exclusive with this model, but now, 3 are stocking it (unsure of other telcos atm).

go nuts :thumbup:

2. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

Went all over town (Adelaide) to every Telstra, Optus, Voda and 3 mobile phone store to look for a working model with no success. Why offer the phone when you don't have one to play with :thumbdn:

3. OP
    OP
    Aratama_Bashi

First Look: Samsung U900

Hi guys

This is my initial reactions to playing with the U900 "Soul",

basically, the samsung is designed as a camera phone, not a phone camera (as the g800/g810 is). a nice size, solid build, and sharp screen are all good.

Pros:
    >> Quite a solid build. Think nokia 6500 slide, but with a classier finish. the metal is intersected with plastic, but it's not a cheapish feeling plastic. seems like it would scuff easily though (the plastic, that is)
    >> Size is pretty nice too. the keypad (motorola-style) is generously sized
    >> Screen is big, bright, and sharp
    >> Phone recycle bag comes in the box (starting to see more of this, it's good stuff)
    >> 2gb microsd WITH standard sd adapter
    >> camera has multiple face detection
    >> adaptive nav screen is nice
    >> cam quality was ok; nothing to write home about as far as other 5mp models are concerned though

Cons:
    >> phone must be slid 'up' to use the camera. this is both good and bad; good, because the camera lens is protected when not in in use. But, it is bad, because when you want to use the camera, it's very hard to hold, as you're holding one half of the phone in each hand. too thin. almost impossible to take a photo with one hand. very awkward to use the controls in the middle of the screen (ie. to delete a shot youve just taken).
    >> no xenon flash
    >> adaptive nav screen is cool at first, but i can forsee some problems. firstly, it might use your batteries. you have the option of turning on or off, a vibration feedback whenever you touch the screen. secondly, it wasn't very responsive. i am allowing it some width though... there are 3 levels of touch sensitivity, depending how retarded you are, but it still lags. the worst thing is that when the OS lags, or you start a big prog, like the browser, the nav screen lags too. not happy with that.
    >> battery doesnt have a capacity rating written on it and i am too lazy to look it up online, but the battery seemed pretty small to me. too small.
    >> not mini or micro usb to connect to computer. instead, annoying, delicate-looking proprietary connector
    >> appalling web browser. just terrible. not enough ram on the phone to make browsing anything other than dedicated mobile sites bearable.

Contentious Issues:
    the main thing that is featured on this handset is the adaptive nav/selection touchscreen. it's a nice thought! but i dont think it is great just yet. however, i'd say it is pretty subjective, and its one thing you should definitely try before you buy. you'll either love it or hate it.
    then i would say the camera issue that i outlined above. you may or may not like it.
    finally, without knowing too much about it (as i admitted), that battery seems awfully small. perhaps only an 850 or 900, tops.

Nice touches:
    comes with three preinstalled themes, depending, again, on how retarded you are. the first one (default) looks like a fisher-price playset. totally lame. even for girls. the other two are a brushed metal one (same colour as the phone's metal) which looks pretty nice, and the noir black one is ok too.
    the physical buttons feel reasonably solid too.

overall guys, i dont think this handset is worth what you would pay for it right now. the camera is the only real redeeming feature on it, and even 5mp is starting to be less and less great these days.

i'm quite 'meh' on this phone.

media:

[​IMG]
    welcome to the samsung "soul". they should have called it the samsung "tits on a bull".

[​IMG]
    it's relatively thin

[​IMG]
    trying to show the icons changed for the camera. we have macro, flash, scene mode, and timer here. sorry about the blurriness, one day i will use something other than an e65 for photos :p

and finally a video of my feeble attempt to show the menu with the adaptive keys changing.

4. OP
    OP
    Aratama_Bashi

you should come to melbourne. we have plenty of working models you can play with :)

wow, that was practical advice eh?! :Pirate:

5. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

hah! if i come to melb it'll rain on my ass (again) :p

Thanks for the write up, i'll definitely wait a while before considering this phone now.:thumbup:

6. rhysxanthis

rhysxanthis Member

Does this one have inbuilt GPS?

7. dougy1000

dougy1000 Member

Hmmm it's the battery that kills it for me, although other reviews say the battery life isn't so bad..

I know that the Nokia 6220 doesn't have very long battery life, none of the new phones seem to though :( I'll probably end up with the 6220 anyway, simply because of the xenon flash and the fact that I have heaps of Nokia chargers already :)

8. OP
    OP
    Aratama_Bashi

nope.

heheh. like i said, im not sure on the actual battery life, but just that the battery was quite small.
    there are some handsets with good battery life, such as the nokia e71 (thanks to the massive 1500milliamps) and blackberries are good too.
    havent heard anything about the 6220 battery life being crap, i might have to look into it...

9. chicken-

chicken- Member

I'm really impressed with the U900 (got it free on Virgin $45 plan) however the first one I picked up had a faulty touch panel, I was told the initial AU batch mostly all had the fault. The shop swapped it over on the spot with a new one and it's been perfect.

I haven't had long to test it, but I went 2 days of moderate usage (30+ sms, some short calls) and the 3-segment battery bar still showed full. Way better reception than my previous phone (HTC Tytn) even indoors in some normally very patchy areas.

My only real complaint about this phone is the music player, which won't read the id3 titles on some of my mp3s, but this may be a dodgy character or something in the songs tag. Samsungs PC app is decent, but again it's music management client sucks ass and takes 5mins to copy one song across... luckily I have an 8gb SDHC card so I just load the songs via an SD reader and pop it into the phone. (Samsungs site said 2gb max SD card, but Im having no problems with a Sandisk 8gb SDHC formatted to FAT.)

10. swatson

swatson Member

got one for the missus was a toss up between this and the SE k800??i with 5mp and xenon flash.

Battery life is poor but i have always found samsungs like this, feature packed/loud/colourfull phones with tiny batterys, but i supose the trade off is the phone is decent size for what it is. She charges it every second day with lots of SMS but not much talking really.

Has gotten used to the touch screen and the vibrate is a good way to make up for lack of tactile feel.

I have got her an 8gig Micro SD card for $40ish from de will find out what the music player is like.

I still dislike the connector, and after using my motorola i also had single connections, i frequently need to be charging and using headset or using PC and headset at once and its pisses me off.

overall it seems solid and she is much happier with samsungs menu than the Z610? she tried about 2 years ago which lasted about 4 months before i think we changed.

11. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

I was like you, swatson. I was tossing up between this and the K850i.

I'm really happy with it.

I got used to the touch pad straight away. I've turned down the sensitivity to the lowest level and I still have no problems with it. I ahve pretty hot hands though lol. I've since turned off the vibration feedback, now that I've got a feel for what works with the touch pad.

As for the battery, again I'm in disagreement with you guys. I was really happy with the battery length. During my first few days of usage I was constantly listening to the radio and MP3 files, whilst browsing the net, and occasionally playing games at the same time. After my most heavy usage day only one bar of the battery level was depleted. The battery is 880mAH.

I also like the slide feature. That was one of the selling features of the phone over the K850i. I just like the look of it, and I've always preferred slide phones over flip and/or brick phones.

NextG coverage is awesome. I was really impressed to be surfing the net deep within Central train station. WhereIs maps identified my location pretty good too. At least geographically, and not so much cartographically. It only detects the house two-doors up, and not my actual house number. Walking around in the Sydney CBD was good for finding my way around.

The RQTag reader thing is pretty tempermental. I always takes me two or three shots to read the tag properly. But that's mostly because magazines print it too small, and you need to fill most of the screen to register the code properly.

I haven't had any problem with ID3 tags on my MP3s yet. I've uploaded five albums and all transferred the info correctly. My phone out performs all of my mates phones when it comes to blasting out music through the external speaker :thumbup:

MY ONLY REAL COMPLAINT IS THE STUPID LITTLE PLASTIC PLUGS OVER THE MICROSD AND HEADSET PORTS.
    I'm an obsessive nail biter, and I always have to dig out a train ticket to pop out the plug. My epic phail fingers won't get it open. I would rip it off, but the samsung port looks pretty intricate, so I don't want to get grime in there.

12. chicken-

chicken- Member

I just noticed an option under phone settings > pc connection that lets the phone show up as a mass storage device, nice!

I agree on the external speaker, it can go crazy loud compared to most other mobiles I've tried.

Opera Mini 4.1 Advanced works perfectly on this phone, so be sure to ditch the built-in one for it ASAP if you do any mobile browsing at all.

Quick question: Does anyone know where to find a data port > 3.5mm headphone adapter for this phone? The guys at the Optus shop claimed 3rd party ones just won't work for stereo audio with the U900, but they don't stock the official adaptors, and all I can find online are no-name chinese ones.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  13. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Oh I've got a question too.
    Is there a way to upload apps onto the phone without having to download them? My old phone had a folder on the memory card for games and apps, but I can't figure out how to do it with this phone.

14. Jaff

Jaff Member

Picked up one of these yesterday - so far it's going very awesomely :thumbup: No real complaints about it so far. I'm used to the plastic plugs over the ports since my old U700 had them too. I find them a good idea, even if they can be a pain in the ass at times.

15. Jeffo

Jeffo Member

Hey guys sorry to dig up an old thread.

I'm looking at getting this phone for free now it is getting cheaper. I was just wondering how the headphones sound and are they any good?

Are they stereo or just single ear?

16. Pyros

Pyros Member

Coincidence...

I just had a phone call 10 minutes ago about this phone. A guy I do some work for has just picked one up and wants to get all his contacts across.

He's coming from a Nokia, and all of his contacts have been imported into outlook via pc suite - should this just be a simple transfer via some samsung suite?

I'm just about to go and do some googling to see what I can find :).

17. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Yep, the U900 comes with Samsung PC Studio 3, which can import contacts from Outlook.

Headphones sound good. They're stereo, but have a proprietary Samsung plug. I don't know if an adapter exists to use 3.5mm phones.

The bare phones nearly made my ears bleed. I had to put some foam covers over them. But it has been years since I've worn headphones, and my ears may not be used to it.

18. Jeffo

Jeffo Member

thanks for that. i've been using the sony ones that come with the w850i so they are meant to be better then the usual headphones. I've got some old foam covers though so if it is bad i'll be able to use them.

19. Munki

Munki Member

What languages does the Australian model have?

I'm mostly interested in Chinese (simplified would be preferable, but traditional should be OK too).

20. Pyros

Pyros Member

Awesome :).

Thanks.