Samsung unveils 6.3in Galaxy Mega smartphone

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Sankari, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Sankari

Sankari Member

6.3", 199g... surely this is getting a bit ridiculous?

(Source).

:wired:

2. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

I find it a bit of an odd release.
    They have their popular Note series which has always been treated as their high-end premium part with a obvious refresh coming later in the year. I wonder where these sit?
    Samsung's page lists it as "HD TFT", in other words, 720p LCD. (GS4 says Full HD)
    Perhaps its more like the Samsung Grand, a cheaper mid ranged part made for more markets...

I read they are releasing this and a 5.8" version (just over Galaxy Note 2 size with less bezel perhaps?).

Without screen resolution, SOC (CPU) and radio details we dont really know what it is exactly.

I cant imagine they are going to sell too many 6.3" models.
    My Note2 is often too big as it is, i love it to death when im commuting on the bus etc, but on the weekends im often dropping back to something a little more “pocketable” if im not carrying a bag.
    That said, if all you want the Galaxy Note for is a highly portable 3G/4G tablet that can make or receive the odd phone call, why not go a bit bigger? Its just a small market.

Edit:

Taken from the "Features page"

I wouldnt be suprised if we dont see these released in Australia.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  3. OP
    OP
    Sankari

Sankari Member

4. asher001

asher001 Member

This is going to be a mid-range phone in terms of specs. I don't really see the appeal of it personally (as a note owner).

5. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

Chipset Exynos 5250
    CPU Dual-core 1.7 GHz Cortex-A15
    GPU Mali-T604

Its no slouch!

6. OP
    OP
    Sankari

Sankari Member

I don't understand why they didn't go all the way with 1080p.

7. hamishbindrinki

hamishbindrinki Member

Thats for the next version. Increased screen resolution can certainly be used as a selling point when the actual screen size can't be realistically increased significantly as you start getting very close to tablet territory.

8. Cask

Cask Member

OK Samsung, I love you and all, and I love my Galaxy Nexus, but can we have the phone fit in our palms rather than in our gigantic supposedly cash filled pockets? :weirdo:

9. yellows2k

yellows2k Member

im really enjoying my note 2. and the mega 5.8 would only be a little bit bigger.
    the 6.3 would be pushing the boundaries tho for me.
    i dont use the note 2 to its full capabilities, so the mega wouldnt be missing much.
    i think they didnt go full 1080p was the larger screen meant it would be really expensive, and they wanted this to be cheaper, under the note 2 and galaxy series phones

10. munka

munka Member

You can, Galaxy S4 does that, and they released a galaxy S3 mini for those who thought that form factor was too big.

This is for people that want a phablet, not those that wanted a phone. I think their biggest strength is and always will be the range they offer.

11. Treggs

Treggs Member

Releasing this makes perfect sense to me. It's not aimed at the demographic that frequent OCAU, it's aimed at their WAG's. This form factor is perfect for the handbag. I bought my wife a GNex and then a Nexus 7 (for ebooks) and the 6.3 would fit nicely in the middle as a one device solution and it wouldn't look completely ridiculous using it occasionally as a phone. Not that phones are being used as much as phones these days. The spec is perfectly acceptable but will also keep the price reasonable. I think these will sell very well with the fairer sex.

For those of us that carry our phones in pockets rather than handbags/manbags, I think my Nexus 4 form factor is about as big as you can go practically.

12. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

13. Cask

Cask Member

Absolutely. I sit there and think "Hmmm...I really should use a tablet for this, but I can't be bothered hiking it everywhere with me" and so this would be the ultimate deal

14. ronald_r32

ronald_r32 Member

Only one pair of my shorts cant fit my Note 2, i think people under estimate how big pockets generally are.

15. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

True. I've had a Note 1 before and that was pocketable, but not exactly the most comfortable to carry around. I can't image a 6.3" which would really be near impossible to carry in any pants/trouser pockets.

Which leads me to another question. Can a phone still be called a "phone" when it's not pocketable at all? 6.3" it's almost tab size....not a phablet anymore but a tabphone. Don't think many people would want that tbh. If you can carry a 6.3" device then I'm sure you can carry a 7" tab no problem.

16. munka

munka Member

The bezel is getting smaller each time so it's not all bad.

17. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

I only just came across this model

if it had a higher resolution screen. something higher than 1080, it would be a cool device. Seems limited and outdated with just 1280x720

with such a thin bezel, I don't think it will be too big or akward, i wish the nexus 7inch tablets had such small bezels.
    mobile is becoming the norm now, most people are able to ditch latptops and even desktops and do all their basic web browsing and email with their mobile.
    more screen real estate is great