Samsung XP941 - PCIE SSD

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by ae00711, Sep 11, 2014.

1. ae00711

ae00711 Member

Ok so I know my mobo will not boot from it (no UEFI) but can I still install programs to it? I would install OS, & only OS, to SSD, then everything else to the XP941 - would this work?

Heck, how does a non-UEFI PC even see it? Drivers?

:confused:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  2. sjp770

sjp770 Member

I believe that it acts as a normal drive, no drivers required, if you find yourself unable to boot from it. So yes.

3. ramcity

ramcity Member

Right on - the XP941 acts just like any other storage device in all respects if your motherboard doesn't have the UEFI to boot from it.

4. Luke212

Luke212 Member

not really a noob question since not many would even know about a 941 ;)

5. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

I have an XP941 and use it as a boot drive. The newer ASRock boards support it in boot mode and I've heard some Asus boards are getting there.

My mobo has 2 M.2 slots on it, one is a standard slot and the other is what ASRock term an UltraM2 slot - they take some of the PCIe lanes and allocate them to the Ultra slot giving you 32Gb/s bandwidth.

The important thing here is that putting the XP941 in a standard slot is a waste of money. I did some testing and the XP941 in a standard slot is no faster than you get from a high end SSD because of buss limitations. I was actually surprised I couldnt get near the 10Gb/s in an M.2 slot - from memory I got something like 500Mbps read and write.

In the Ultra slot I get 1080Mbps read and 800Mbps write - its very impressive.

The compromise with the ASRock Z97 broads is that the reallocation of PCIe lanes drops video to 8x - so an issue for gamers. The new X99 boards should fix the issue but I haven't read if ASRock have implemented that yet.

If you don't need ultra performance video the ASRock Z97 boards are a good choice with the XP941.

6. sjp770

sjp770 Member

On my old Gene vi with a 4650k it had an ngff or m.2 slot and it was linked to the sata ports.

All the x99 boards that have a 2280 or 22110 m.2 socket use pciex4 which is 32gbps

7. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

Yep my ASRock board has that kind for socket as well, it's pointless because there is no performance increase over standard sata, just a gimmick to me.

Does that mean that all x99 boards now boot from the m.2 socket?

8. sjp770

sjp770 Member

My point was the same m.2 socket can connect to the system via either sata lanes or pcie lanes. Easiest way to tell is check your manual and see what gets disabled while the m.2 is in use.

X99 should be ready but time will tell :)

9. paulbaird87

paulbaird87 Member

xp941 boots on Asrock x99m killer

I can confirm that the xp941 boots and runs like a dream on my Asrock x99m killer micro Atx mobo. Boots super fast and saves a heap of space in my compact build!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

In the second pic you can see that asrock could have chosen a better position to place the card! I read some reports about these getting hot during long sustained read/writes so I place a fan on the back of the GPU that helps cool a hot spot on the backplate and pushes air underneath to cool the xp941!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  10. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

On my Z97 board the compromise is the gpu multiplier goes from x16 to x8. With the extra pcie lanes in 2011 based CPUs that shouldn't occur. Can you confirm you still have x16 gpu when using ultra m.2?

11. paulbaird87

paulbaird87 Member

I sure do! All 16x lanes , although it wouldn't matter if my cpu only had 16 lanes instead of 28 because the motherboard, asrock x99m killer, uses sata lanes to run the m.2 card. I can't use one of my sata connections if I have m.2 connected!
    So just check what your motherboard uses for m.2 connection.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  12. ramcity

ramcity Member

Thanks for posting this. It's great to at last see a Micro ATX board that takes the XP941. Nice setup!

13. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

This is spot on. I havent got an m2 for my asrock x99 board (yet - gotta get around to selling the sandy bridge gear!) but with 40 lanes you can run dual gpus at 16x each and an m2. Plugging it in knocks out the last 8x slot on the board if it's a 4x, or knocks out e-sata if sata based drive. I guess potential limitations for the 28 lane chip.

Good roundup here:

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/560...ell-e-pci-express-lanes-for-sli-and-crossfire

14. Andreas_48

Andreas_48 New Member

Did you play your Windows (I have W7/64bit) directly from the DVD on it, or via an iso-image on an USB-stick? I think to buy the Full-ATX sized ASRock X99X Killer MoBo with the i7-5820K for video editing.

Greetings from Vienna/Austria

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  15. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Don't you just wish, since they are so visible on the boards, that they would make them look pretty?

Surely at that cost point it wouldn't be that hard to include a few sleeves/covers/heatspreaders of some sort in various colours so such an awesome thing doesn't look like a stick of generic ram lol

16. OP
    OP
    ae00711

ae00711 Member

so nice to see a rep on the forums! :)

have another question:

in regards to PCIE adapters... I have a mobo that is PCIE 2.0 spec.. is there any reason I should buy this one:

https://www.ramcity.com.au/buy/bplus-m.2-ngff-ssd-to-pcie-2.0-x4-adapter/M2P4A

over this one:

https://www.ramcity.com.au/buy/lycom-m.2-ngff-ssd-to-pcie-3.0-x4-adapter/DT-120

I realise one is PCIE 2.0, the other 3.0 but man, the price difference! :sick: If the 3.0 one is backward compat. I'll just stick with that!

17. ramcity

ramcity Member

Thanks, I try to keep up with all the M.2 PCIe related posts.

M2P4A - this one has a heatsink, and since the XP941 does get rather warm, some are more comfortable with some extra cooling. On that note, a lot of people express concern about how hot they get, but our total returns are still in single digits on thousands of units sold since October 2013, so I'm thinking Samsung designed them well.

DT-120 - definitely good value for money, backwards compatible to PCIe 2.0, and most people buy it. It's the one that I would get.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  18. OP
    OP
    ae00711

ae00711 Member

You're a legend! Thanks heaps! :thumbup: next bit of excess cash I have I'll order the adapter + XP941 256GB! :)

19. paulbaird87

paulbaird87 Member

external dvd windows 8.1 install direct to xp941

Hey Andreas_48!
    Welcome to the Aussie forum! I didn't realise how little people had installed these in their system until I started searching for answers a month ago!
    This ssd is the bomb , I used an external dvd to install windows 8.1 directly to the xp941, install worked and bored perfectly off my x99m killer! Just like a normal hdd!
    1090MB/s reads and 870 MB/s writes ;-)

20. Andreas_48

Andreas_48 New Member

Hi paulbaird87,
    thank you for your welcome! I found the link to ramcity on an Austrian price comparison site and their "How to install..." info which says ...to be done via an ISO file on USB-stick. Fine, that it works directly from DVD. With the ATX full sized ASRock Fatal1ty X99 Board, the European support in Holland told me, that only the lowest x16 slot PCIE5 is disabled when using the Ultra M.2 port. I hope, that ASRock boards are better/longer lasting now than in former times, it seems the UEFI Bios is still not so good than in other boards, some people write in discussion forums.