Sandforce's SF-2000 next-gen SSD controllers

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by theDarkHorse, Oct 7, 2010.

1. theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

Sandforce smites Intel's next-gen SSD offerings with great justice.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=26811

Cheaper, faster SSDs = better. I'll take more than one.

2. Reaper

Reaper Member

That was said last time, they went up in price.

3. OP
    OP
    theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

That was more to do with someone buying out all the supply of NAND though *looks at Apple*, not really cause of the controllers. Advancements in controllers is always appreciated.

4. Reaper

Reaper Member

I suppose partly, but yea, the next gen that's always supposed to be cheaper only starts to get cheaper when it's about to be succeeded by the next one that's supposed to be cheaper again. :)

But anyway, almost feels like the ata33/66/100/133 days again. Just when one starts to become affordable, the next one that has a massive, not incremental, boost comes along. May as well keep waiting until it starts to level out a bit in speeds. Although capacity could use a bigger boost than speed right now.

5. deva_da_man

deva_da_man Member

im happy enough with my sf1200 at the mo. actually more than happy

6. kalidav

kalidav Member

I get the feeling this upcoming generation of SSDs will be the sweet spot. :)

7. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

i'm really torn with this. ive been waiting and havent jumped on the ssd bandwagon yet.

i'm seriously tempted by the vertex 2

BUT this new controller looks insanely fast.. doubt the drives will be that much cheaper though because the flash memory isnt likely to be on a smaller process.

the intel G3 drives, while the performance probably won't be as high as the SF2000 drives, i reckon the price per gb is finally going to fall since they're putting in 25nm flash

but.. i could just get a vertex 2 TODAY rather than wait 6 months till these are actually available to buy..

8. OP
    OP
    theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

I'd suggest getting a Vertex 2 today. You won't regret it. It's insanely fast already. :)

9. Michalek

Michalek Member

Massive +1. PCCG have the 60GB Vertex 2E for $160, and the 120GB variant for $299.

Ridiculously cheap prices, considering I paid $295 for my 50GB (yes, 50GB) in mid-June. They've come down a lot in price but I'm not regretful in the slightest that I purchased mine so early. The transformation to your pc i makes is incredible; everything is so much more alive. I went from a dual core to a 6 core processor, 1GB DDR to 4GB DDR3 1600, but the jump from HDD to SSD was by far the most noticeable and useful in day to day activities.

Buy one now, you won't regret it.

Besides, the new controller may have faster read/write speeds, but in reality, you won't need them; it's the seek time that makes things so much better.

I doubt you'd notice any more speed in day-to-day activities from this new controller compared with the current SF-1200 found in the Vertex 2's.

Get one man, best pc component I've purchased in the last 3 years for sure.

10. OP
    OP
    theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

Wow, $299 for a 120GB Sandforce drive? :shock: GET

I paid ~$420 for a 128GB Indilinx drive a year and a half back, which is an eternity in terms of SSD evolution. Didn't regret it then, don't regret it now.

Anyway, back on topic...

These actually appear to be enterprise-level SSD controllers, the ones that were just announced, but the consumer level variants are almost exactly the same chip, just tweaked firmware.

11. Michalek

Michalek Member

Yeah they've become so cheap it's ridiculous!

Was planning on grabbing 2x 120gb for a raid0, but I'll hold out now for this new controller.

~500mb/s r/w is ludicrous, but ludicrously awesome!

2 of those babies in a Raid0 would kind of suck because you'll be hitting that Intel limit (1CHR or something, it's escaped me for a sec).

One of these would just be awesome! Wonder if they'll lower the seek time at all :p

12. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

i definitely wouldnt say SSDs are so cheap its "ridiculous".

300 bucks is 300 bucks.. especially when much better drives are scheduled to come out early next year (4 months away?)

if it was 200 i'd just buy one, and i am pretty tempted even at 300, but its a bit above my impulse buy threshold .. yeah life sucks when you get a mortgage..

anyway i wouldnt be breaking out the champagne over the quoted 500MB/sec just yet, this is a speed rating for the controller chip, not the drive itself - and the overall speed is going to depend on a lot of factors (flash speed, how many internal channels etc). Frankly at this point i would view 500MB/sec as a marketing number.

There's no doubt SF2000 drives will be awesome but lets not get ahead of ourselves, i seriously doubt we'll be able to buy a 100GB+ SSD with 500MB/sec for anywhere close to $300 in feb/march next year, and you can quote me on that later :p

13. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

I wouldn't be surprised if the speeds were dropped as well, unless the IO's are the only difference between the enterprise and mainstream units.

Already OCZ has stepped up to announced that it is developing a new line of Deneva enterprise solid state drives that are equipped with said chips, but no details on mainstream parts.

14. bucsta

bucsta Member

Same here. I've gotta head down to Mwave later and will find if very hard to leave without a $299 120gb drive.

15. Reaper

Reaper Member

That's what you get for not reading my posts here:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=770527

Been under $300 for quite some time. ;)

Looking at it right now, the solidata $264, mach extreme (went up :rolleyes: ) / vertex II $295, Phoenix pro, $296.

All 120gb drives, I don't bother with anything smaller, waste of my time. :)

16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've got an upcoming project that needs 500MB/s sustained. I was planning all sorts of SSD RAID stuff but worried about lifespan (no trim on RAID).

These new controllers look like they'll be on the market just in time. :)

17. Wolfje

Wolfje Member

Agree with the skepticism about the transfer rates, do we have good enough SATA3 drivers to jam that much down the SATA controller at once now, anyway?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  18. proffesso

proffesso Member

multistream uncompressed? 2 streams off 1 drive..crazy.was only a few years back avid was recommending 8 - 10 drive arrays for the same thing..

(psst i know its really for your new mame cab, dont lie ;)

19. jekel

jekel Member

hey guys wondering if i should get a ssd now and been trying to read up on differences. Reckon OCZ Vertex 200GB Limited Edition SSD for $469 at pccg is worth it or wait for one with newer controller?

20. stranger2502

stranger2502 Member

personally i would wait :) if it drops to $399 then i would grab one :thumbup: $469 abit steep considering 100gig was $199:thumbup: