SandyBridge chipset recall.

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Dropbear, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall

Intel just announced that it has identified a bug in the 6-series chipset, specifically in its SATA controller. Intel states that "In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives.".

The fix requires new hardware, which means you will have to exchange your motherboard for a new one. Intel hasn't posted any instructions on how the recall will be handled other than to contact Intel via its support page or contact the manufacturer of your hardware directly. In speaking with motherboard manufacturers it seems they are as surprised by this as I am.

Intel will begin shipping the fixed version of the chipset in late February. The recall will reduce Intel's revenue by around $300 million and cost around $700 million to completely repair and replace affected systems.

I asked Intel how we’d know if we had a failure on our hands. The symptoms are pretty simple to check for. Intel says you’d see an increase in bit error rates on a SATA link over time. Transfers will retry if there is an error but eventually, if the error rate is high enough, you’ll see reduced performance as the controller spends more time retrying than it does sending actual data.

Ultimately you could see a full disconnect - your SATA drive(s) would not longer be visible at POST or you’d see a drive letter disappear in Windows.

2. Ka0sX

Ka0sX (Banned or Deleted)

lol i knew there was something wrong with some of them, was at a mates place the other day and the damn thing was not as responsive at all it felt like there was lagg in windows,

my S1156 is more responsive

3. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

That probably wasn't the hard drive. As the link can degrade over time and, in a worst-case scenario, you’ll boot your machine to find attached storage simply isn’t identified at all. None of your data is at risk—anything on the drive already can’t be affected by the link degrading and ultimately failing, after all.

4. OP
    OP
    Dropbear

Dropbear Member

I doubt you'd get noticeable responsive issues yet... as the article said, it's a statistical anomaly.. - at the moment more likely to manifest in retries ...

5. Bertross

Bertross Member

Jesus whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! X58 FARQING 1366 FOR LIFE!!!!! Joe is the sata anywhere near the BIOS BATTERY :D

Wow what a cock up.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  6. Ka0sX

I dunno guys but in the past week i have told a few people i knew there was something wrong. I think SB was prematurely released

7. FearTec

FearTec Member

8. thewonderer

thewonderer Member

oh man, this is annoying, i put in a order for a asrock and was hoping it would be available for pick up today. The article did state that if you use port 0 and 1 , they are not affected by this

'Interestingly enough the problem doesn’t affect ports 0 & 1 on the 6-series chipset. Remember that Intel has two 6Gbps ports and four 3Gbps ports on P67/H67, only the latter four are impacted by this problem.'

So if you don't need more than 2 ports, you should be ok.

9. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Well from reports it missed Intel's own validation and only caught by OEM's testing.

Intel is expected to hold several conference calls with major manufacturers today and let them know how the situation will be handled. So it might just be a matter of waiting for a replacement.

10. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

Wow, this is quite serious...

11. Bertross

Bertross Member

i use 5! OS, 2 backup/files, Backup OS, DVD-RW

This is why we never should rush buy. Let the reviewers find the issues then buy the re-release. Like the iPhones lol. and the GTX470/480....nom 570 .

12. FearTec

FearTec Member

Any news of a driver fix?

13. Ka0sX

14. Bertross

Bertross Member

so far looks like a rehash of chips to solve the issue. What a weird situation they have got themselves into, more so the people who spent the doh on it.

On the money as per usual Joe :D

15. OP
    OP
    Dropbear

Dropbear Member

it's a hardware issue - will not be fixable with drivers.

16. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Glad not to be an early adopter for a change (I'm still running my faithful Xeon X3350 from 3 years ago :)).

I hope it's easy to identify the fixed versions once they're released.

17. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

Yeah but where is the fun in that.
    Next you will claim drugs and sex are bad too :rolleyes:

lol

18. quade00

quade00 Member

Not the news I wanted to open up with in the morning when I just got everything set up and running nicely on the new motherboard.

Sounds like every desktop board is affected. This will be a huge recall, but relly they are lucky they caught it this soon.

19. Bertross

Bertross Member

no way lol! :p

Im sure intel have already solved the issue and are already into production to replacing right now. intel can't afford time loss.

Do vendors have to cancle their mobo and CPU in stock?

Most likely why the reviewers did not pick this up earlier is they only usually use 1/2 sata ports and probably not the effected ones.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  20. muppetman

muppetman Member

Crap... I just put an order in for Sandy Bridge stuff yesterday :(