1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

SandyBridge chipset recall.

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Dropbear, Feb 1, 2011.

1. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

So say I've been using the sata2 ports in raid0 with multiple drives, is it possible to switch motherboards, and restore that raid array onto the new board (and from then on, everything should be almost the same?). Or will it have to be wiped/re-created?

2. DeejW

DeejW Member

in theory you could but to be sure I would start fresh if I were you.

3. WhatMACHI

WhatMACHI Member

4. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

5. Skramit

Skramit Member

I gather quantities will be very small to begin with though, so people shouldnt be surprised if they cant get their replacement straight away or buy their new system either :p "Sorry sold out"

6. WhatMACHI

WhatMACHI Member

Ill be monitoring the forums and local resellers constantly over the next few days. Ive been holding out for almost 5 months for my new build and its killing me T_T

I hope ill be able to jump on quick enough and grab the boards as they are released.

7. Lucus Maximus

Lucus Maximus Member

I think you will find the first boards that come through will be replacements for the people that bought boards with the defective chipset. Once they have been swapped over then retailers will start selling to the general public. At least that what makes sense, wether that happens we will wait and see.

-Lucus

8. Skramit

Skramit Member

Ask yourself - Which makes the retailer more money? replacements or new sales?

Hahahaha they'll be first in first serve!

9. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

my concern is resellers trying to pull the 'yours isnt one of the 15 percent affected' bs, insisting the customer to use the sata2 until it fucks up, corrupts their data, writes bad smart data to their drives..etc, before issuing a replacement.

its the reason why i insist that those who can actually wait out the bad batches do so.

10. slobber

slobber Member

In a perfect world yes................thats what would/should happen

In reality it will be every man for himself/herself with the distries and sellers trying to screw every penny possible out of all and any orifice :lol:

11. g12345567

g12345567 Member

Just wondering if there is a time limit for board swap over. IE you have to do it within one or two months otherwise get stuck with the faulty baords, or can you wait a few months before getting it swapped over when all the new stock starts to get delivered in quantities.

12. HeXa

HeXa Member

yeah... because car manufacturers doing a recall wait until the car explodes/crashes before fixing the problem :Paranoid:

read the recall notices for the mobos

13. A_C

A_C Member

All well and good if they want the ACCC up their ass.

14. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

not saying its not wrong at all or anything of the sort, but I also dont doubt that some resellers even one disty in mind, will pull this sort of shit on people :thumbdn:

15. sparky206

sparky206 Member

I've absolutely had it with the piece of shit that is the ASUS P8P67 pro. I'm done with being a beta tester to work out why it hard locks while just sitting in windows or in a web browser. Fortunatly because of this issue, im swapping the board out anyways for a asrock EXT 4.

On the ASUS site it mentions that "you may opt to return any affected products to ASUS for a swap or sales return."

Am i within my rights to ask for a refund when i return the board?

16. DeejW

DeejW Member

Wow, someone else with the same problem. I have an evo and it also locks up for no apparent reason, first asus board I have bought because I wanted uefi bios. BIG mistake, I have spent about $600 swapping out parts to try and get my system stable and I have swapped out pretty much every thing re installed os 3 times and the only thing left that can be at fault is the POS p8p67 evo, im not using any bug affected ports. I have constant dropouts with all my usb devices and hard lockups which are random. Its driven me mad and im also going to opt for a refund for another board.

17. sparky206

sparky206 Member

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1577853

We're not the only ones.

Really annoyed that i was set on the ASrock EXT 6, but noticed the PCI slot for my soundcard would be covered by my GPU heatsink. Not until after i purchased this joke did i realize that the EXT 4 had the PCI's in a different config which would allow me to run my sound card

18. -Totenkopf-

-Totenkopf- Member

Interestingly, I have a similar problem with my Gigabyte P67A-UD4, it will just lock up randomly, generally when just idling (left overnight or during the day). I'll come back to a black screen (but the screen won't be in standby mode). I have to reset the PC to fix the problem. Windows 7 reports that an error occured after rebooting.

Possibly motherboard related as well? Looks like my motherboard is in need of replacement as well with the SATA issue.

19. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

ive got an extreme6 and it seemed to hang in windows xp installation (before it got to point where you give input...past the f6 bit a few minutes). hope it was just some random thing - havent had time to try since.

20. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

silly question, are yous running high CL 1066mhz ram?