Sanity check - broken SATA data port

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Aetherone, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

I've been given a 4TB HDD with a broken SATA data port. Plastic is snapped clean off and AWOL, all seven pins are still intact, drive still works if you can get them to contact the cable ends.

In the past I've soldered SATA cables to drives like this for recovery purposes with good success.

Now, 4Tb is a useful size. However, I'd not trust this one with irreplaceable data. Howeverever, I could see this being useful for taking a copied slab of data from here to over there.
    For repurpose purposes, I'm thinking of grabbing a cheap external case and simply soldering this sucker in.

Can anyone sanity check this idea for me? At $35 for a UASP case and an afternoon of tinkering, it doesn't seem like a bad idea.

2. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Sounds fine. Proceed.

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Its actually a valid solution. I have a SATA drive with the plastic section broken, but the pins undamaged. I simply installed it in a recycled portable drive case (from a shucked portable). In my case, the plastic on the power side is damaged, but the plastic on the SATA side is OK. The SATA section holds the one piece combined SATA/PWR adapter nicely in place within the case. No solder required.