1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Sansaire $199 Sous Vide Circulator - Kickstarter ($219 with shipping here).

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by f3n1x, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

Was it a thick (35mm) steak? 2 hours is pretty long for a standard (15-20mm) steak.

See this link: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Tender_Meat

2. scrantic

scrantic Member

I'm hoping that the next batch rolls around for my birthday in May! Told the wife I'm keen.

3. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

This for the Sansaire or the Anova?

4. Phark-You

Phark-You Member

5. username_taken

username_taken Member

gah! bloody aussies getting theirs first!

6. nodabs

nodabs Member

damn that was good, only a safeway thick cut rump but damn.... left it on the griddle a bit long hence a few mm of grey but such is life

Instasteak

7. OP
    OP
    f3n1x

f3n1x Member

Got mine a while ago, just used it.. it holds temp very well and the food :shock:

[​IMG]

If you have one but dont own a vacuum sealer you can use a ziplock bag (get decent brand ones that seal well).

Put the food in the bag, Zip it most of the way along, feed it into the water with the unzipped corner up, just before the unzipped bit goes under the water zip it.

Other than that best option is:
    chamber seal (if you're going to cook sous vide a LOT).
    household sealer (stay away from the cheapies).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  8. Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

Meh, I got a cheapie from eBay (less than $50 delivered, including some free bags) and it's doing great. In fact, I would recommend anyone with a fridge freezer get a vacuum sealer, not just us sous vidies.

FYI ziploc now sell a hand pump with bags for much less but the vacuum will depend on your own muscles so it may not be very good if you're a typical geek.

9. woja

woja Member

Had a go with a salmon fillet 15min @ 52 degrees and some carrots 20 min @ 85 degrees.
    Under seasoned the salmon but was very moist and tasty after a quick sear =)
    Carrots were super carroty with just some butter salt and cumin.

Ziplock bags work ok at the lower temps but it started to break down at 85 degrees for the carrots.

I'll definitely be getting a vacuum sealer of some description. Any recommendations of ones that people have used?

10. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Gosh darn it. I want one now.

11. Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

This works for me.

12. zandahar

zandahar Member

Turnip can you hit the vac seal button to let it vac a small amount and then hit cancel before it seals and then possibly vac again and hit the seal button ?

I was looking at the next model up of that which had a pulse button http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Luvelo-V...ags-12m-/161111322148?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

This one seems a little bit cooler again too which built in roll storage and different vac levels although cant figure out what the marinate button should do hah http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Luvelo-V...AU_SmallKitchenAppliances&hash=item257d05b4b7

Can't say I've ever seen the Luvelo brand before has anyone had one for an extended period of time ?

13. Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

I'd not heard of the "double-vac" method before, is it like double-declutching? Is there a benefit to pulse suction outside of "home entertainment" or is it a marketing gimmick? Yes, the Cancel button stops what it is doing immediately so feel free to mash the buttons as you see fit afterwards.

Anyway, I've been having some probs with the vac tonight, not sure if it's the bags or the machine, and too tired to find out, so please hold off from my recommendation of this unit for the moment.

*EDIT* PEBVAF, Problem Exists Between Vacuum and Feet. Blame geek-equivalent poverty for this one, I was trying to make the bags only just big enough to fit the food inside them and not entirely succeeding. The Luvelo brand still has my luv.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  14. Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

Zand, I had a closer look at your provided link while sober and I can see how useful the pulse button might be, and that along with the design improvements over my more basic model make it look like a good purchase.

15. zandahar

zandahar Member

Yeah the pulse might be good for some things but not much difference to hitting vac and then cancel on other machines just slightly easier to just keep bumping the button till you get what you want and then hit seal.

That 2nd Luvelo one I linked to had all the cool features for $100 which would probably compare to the Sunbeam VS7800 which is a steep ~$250

16. sjobeck

sjobeck Member

Bought a Luvelo and an ANOVA sous-vide machine

Will keep you all posted on results

17. Mr Ploppy

Mr Ploppy Member

Hi sjobeck. How much was it to ship the ANOVA and have you got any news to report on how well it works?

18. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Most reports i've heard are around the $380 shipped.

19. connico

connico Member

ANOVA is back in stock, I ordered one and had it ship on Friday and landed this morning.

199+80 USD shipping.

20. RoSWeLL

RoSWeLL Member

Ive ordered an anova, can't wait to get it, roughly $300 landed.