1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Saphira Community Testing - TESTERS FEEDBACK THREAD

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by smithter, May 17, 2012.

1. smithter

smithter Member

Hey guys,

This is the thread for everyone to post their user reviews, I ask kindly for NOONE bar the testers to post until all tester reviews are completed (I'll make a post then).

This is so we can keep the thread clean and all of the legitimate testing responses at the top of the pile.

Once again I remind testers that we require:
    - A minimum 3 paragraphs on testing/thoughts of the product
    - A list of pros and cons of the mouse
    - Give the product a score out of 10
    - Honesty in your opinions

I hope you all had fun with your mice, please have your responses in by no later then Monday (21st May 2012) at midnight.

The approved testers list is as follows:
    Thanks!

Note: Can I please ask moderators to remove any posts that are not made by the testers until I give the all clear? Thank you :)

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  2. OP
    OP
    smithter

smithter Member

I have given a couple of extra days for those with late deliveries.
    If you still have issues with your delivery, please send me an email to the address you received your information from (As I don't check OCAU all the time, but emails pop up automatically).

3. JuStDaN

JuStDaN Member

I was recently given the opportunity to review the Thermaltake Saphira mouse. Given that I was also allowed to keep this mouse afterwards, I have endeavoured to remain unbiased and chose to write this while facing north, just so I have some kind of direction.

The Packaging

The packaging for the Saphira looks rather nice but I couldn’t help but chuckle over the random dude on the front flap. Now please excuse my ignorance, but who the hell is he and why would the marketing department put a dork on their packaging when they could have put someone more relevant (insert hot chick of choice)? Not that sex sells or anything…
    Anyhow, back to the point. With the mouse you receive the usual array of stickers and a booklet, but what I really liked, was the inclusion of the mouse carry bag. I can see this coming in handy for a range of different purposes other than to actually carry the mouse.

The Saphira

I have to say, the first thing I noticed was that the DPI button is on the underside of the mouse and if you don’t mind ignoring the warning and effects of looking into a class 1 laser, this would not be an issue, but for most of us who saviour our eyesight, it is just plain dumb. To add to this, even though the mouse only has a maximum DPI of 3500, some guru decided it needed four different settings on it. This might sound like a good thing, but the bottom two settings are just too slow and don’t serve any purpose except for getting in the way when you want to change from 3rd to 4th.

The mouse is rather large so it feels very nice to hold and the braided cord is just plain sexy. Now before you say “What, why would anyone want to be using a corded mouse?”, I’m not a fan of wireless mice as I like to keep mine on a leash to avoid the problem of them running out of power during a really inconvenient moment then having to search for the cable that has disappeared which resorts to finding the rechargeable batteries that someone neglected to put on the charger.

The buttons provided nice tactile feedback and don’t feel too flimsy but the clicking noise created is quite loud, which can be an annoyance to some people. Two side buttons are a great addition, but if you’re anything like me, you will soon forget they are there even though they can prove to be very useful. The scroll wheel feels nice and has most excellent traction due to the rubbery ridges incorporated. To top this off, the scroll wheel emanates a red hue and the Thermaltake dragon emblem on the palm rest fades in and out with the same colour. The Saphira also comes with the ability to create custom macro settings but I never use mouse macros so I neglected to test this feature.

A nice feature that a lot of gaming mice are coming with is the ability to adjust the weight of the device through the addition of removable weights in the base and, you guessed it, Thermaltake included this option with the addition of 5g removable weights. I like the feel of a solid mouse and felt the need to remove some of these weights is non-existent due to it matching my desired feel and obtaining the uncanny ability of being able to use this mouse as an effective weapon should the need ever arise.

I considered taking it into work to use for a day but then figured it looks rather stunning compared to the low end products we are given to use and probably wouldn’t stay on my desk for long before one of my fellow employees decided it would be funny to take it for a walk, or use it as a weapon.

The Conclusion

The Saphira was very nice to use for prolonged periods and I found that it actually improved my gaming and coding prowess. Actually, this really didn’t happen, but it was a pleasure to use and reduced fatigue on my right hand during prolonged periods of shooting internet tanks, farming in Diablo III and Googling for solutions to random coding issues. The size of it is rather large for a mouse but it fits my hand perfectly and the weight is also very nice indeed.

Having a RRP of $70 puts it up towards the dearer end of the spectrum for mice and won’t appeal to a large amount of users, but overall, it seems to be a decent quality mouse and I wouldn’t hesitate recommending it to anyone shopping for a mouse in that price range to consider.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give this mouse a B, I mean a 7…

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  4. Eggmond

Eggmond New Member

My Review

Tt eSports aim to take on Logitech and Razer to being the number one make of competitive gaming gear and one of their latest entries into the ring is Saphira, their new gaming mouse.

I was lucky enough to be given the opportunity to test drive one of these babies and now I am hear to tell you my thoughts on the beast.

Now I could bore you with facts and figures, but personally that's not my style. If you want to know the stats of the mouse a quick Google search will help you there. I am all about the end user experience.

For starters let's focus on the look. The Saphira is one very sleek looking mouse, with a nice sleek black design and a cool glowing Tt eSports dragon logo glowing at the base. In many ways it resembles your standard Razer mouse, and in many ways matches their line of products in terms of aesthetics and naturally looks way classier than anything Logitech produces.

Comfort is probably one of the most important factors for any gaming mouse, especially if you spend a lot of time at your computer and the Saphira is one comfortable mouse. The rubber used to coat the mouse is very smooth and pleasurable to touch and the shape accommodates my hand perfectly. Rubber patches are placed on the side exactly where my thumb and pinky sit, ensuring they are comfortable as well. The mouse wheel is very sturdy with nice raised lines on the top to ensure that it fells responsive. The right and left click are both very satisfying and I find they provide enough resistance that I don't make accidental clicks like I have with other gaming mice. It also has adjustable weights which is a great feature, allowing for people like me to have a nice heavy mouse, and others who prefer something lighter to take out some weights and reach their ideal weight.

My one complaint I suppose is that the buttons to change DPI and polling rate are on the bottom of the mouse and thus not immediately accessible. I suppose this decision was made so people don't knock the buttons while playing a game, however I still think I would have preferred them somewhere on the side. That said this settings are something you probably are only going to change once, so it is a minor issue.

As for the Saphira's performance, well to put it simply it works very well. When playing League of Legends I found it was very responsive to my twitch movements and that I was in control the entire time. I know that I am not saying a lot, but that's simply because there isn't a lot to say. It functions as well as any top tier gaming mouse.

So overall I quite like the Saphira. It is in my opinion one of the best gaming mice on the market and would certainly recommend it to anyone in the market for a new gaming mouse.

So overall

Pros:
    Sleek design
    Comfortable fit in hand
    Precision
    Customizable DPI and weight

Cons:
    Awkward placement of DPI and polling rate buttons

Score:

9/10

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  5. TiMOiD

TiMOiD Member

Thermaltake have allowed me to test their ‘Saphira’ gaming mouse.

-=Packaging=-
    The box is made of good quality cardboard. It gave me a good impression. The assortment of accessories was nice, not exactly sure what to do with the stickers but the mouse carry case was a nice addition.

The lack of a Drivers CD (IMO) was a good idea. I’ve recently seen products come with driver CDs that had a 1999 copy of adobe reader!

-=Build=-
    The mouse cabling is braided (like a fine murdermod sheath). I’m not a fan of these types of cables.

Speaking on the cable, the mouse cable has a Velcro tab so you can wrap the cable for transport and have it remain tidy. I liked this.

The mouse has a top single piece assembly covered in smooth rubber. This gives the mouse a great feel rather than the plastic of an ordinary mouse. No gap between the buttons and the main body was welcomed.

The mouse runs on very large pieces of smooth rubber and this gives it a great feeling running across the desk.

The scroll wheel is very rigid: this meant I could do fast scrolling and not have the ‘wheel of fortune’ effect where it kept scrolling past where I wanted to be.

The thing I really didn’t like was the rubber pieces on the side of the mouse – these stick way outside of the groove and my thumb and little finger sit between the raised rubber piece and the lower main body. This was annoying.

-=Using the mouse=-
    The best thing about the mouse is the resolution/accuracy. I settled on 1200DPI and 1000Hz polling and this gave me super accurate positioning and I could still span multiple screens easily.

I had trouble with my ‘Beached Az’ mousepad – whenever it ran over the black outline of the whale it would stop tracking until after the mouse passed the border.

Games I tested: World of Warcraft, Diablo 3 and Audiosurf. Warcraft and Diablo definitely benefitted from the smooth tracking (and extra buttons) whereas the behaviour of Audiosurf changed entirely for me. The game became easier and much more enjoyable to play because I could finally control the game and it did what I told it to do.

Applications tested: Visio. Visio also benefited from the increased resolution/accuracy.

-=Software=-
    The software allows you to control the lights on the mouse, which was a nice 'w' feature which incidentally goes well with the alienware laptop it’s plugged into. Now I can control the lighting on my keyboard and mouse! The only thing that bugged me was it was a bit finicky – I had trouble getting the lights to do what I said to do and stay doing what I said.

I also notice there’s a firmware update - For a mouse! That was definitely a first for me.

The software needs to be installed so you can visualise the settings for DPI/Hz – otherwise you are reliant on indicators for the DPI on the side of the mouse. There’s no indication for Hz, so its press and test.

The website seems to indicate a small amount of flash for storing profiles – I noticed as I moved the mouse between computers that the DPI/Hz settings seemed to come across as well.

I really wish there was a way to disable the OSD for the page-back and page-fwd functions.

-=Final Thoughts=-
    I thought I was going to have trouble with the side pads but I seem to have gotten used to it. Watch this if things like this really annoy you.

The weighting is great and it’s nice and heavy. The ability to change the weighting is also nice but not something that I’d use because out of the box it’s pretty well balanced.

Would I recommend it? Yes. I can also see a few being purchased as gifts for family.

Overall Score: 7.5/10 with points off from the side pads issue.

6. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Well, I’ll start out by saying that I’m not going to be posting a photo-based review as I’m sure that you all know what this mouse looks like by now. I’m going to focus my small review on usability and will be making occasional comparisons to a mouse that most people would have seen, used or owned at one stage or another, the MX518.

First Impressions/Unboxing

Wow. What an impressive bundle. The overall goodness of the bundle isn’t found entirely in the inclusions (mouse bag, stickers, manual) but in the quality of what is included. The manual is printed on high quality, almost photo paper that really adds a touch of professionalism. It’s not just a cheap black and white single page deal; it’s a nice CD-size booklet.

It’s quite unusual to see a mouse that comes with a bag designed for transportation. It’s not something I had ever considered. My mice usually just get thrown into the backpack with the power cables when the PC is being transported, but it’s a very nice inclusion on Thermaltake’s part to include it. It shows that they value their product and its longevity.

Now before I’ve even gotten the mouse itself out of the box, I am immediately pleased with the cable. It’s sleeved in a high quality tactile material that is great to the touch. This gives the cord a light-weight, but heavy duty feel to it in the hand. The plug itself is about 1.5x longer than your average USB peripheral plug, though it is emblazoned with the Tt logo, which I find as helpful when identifying what you are unplugging at the back of your PC. Overall, a small yet useful addition.

Upon first connection, there was a firmware update from Tt available, so I grabbed that and installed it prior, just to make sure that I’m basing my review off the latest feature set or improvements. After a quick driver install and a restart, we’re back into testing.

First impressions of holding the mouse itself – I’m really impressed with the finish to the mouse. It’s that soft-touch rubberised coating that has a great tactile feel on the fingertips. Smooth enough to easily slide your fingers off, but the grip is there when you need to press down hard on the buttons.

I also really like the ‘breathing’ dragon logo on the palm-grip, and the glowing red scroll wheel is a nice touch. The scroll wheel itself is near-perfect in my opinion; it’s not stiff to scroll and it’s not that annoyingly too smooth to scroll either. The scroll-click is a feint sound, but there is definitely enough depth to the push to know whether or not you have actually pressed it. There are also nice little grooves on the wheel that make it really easy to move.

The buttons themselves are great, the click has a nice sound and it is easy to press all the way to the very tip of the mouse for you long-fingered types.

Now, the buttons for changing the DPI/polling settings are located on the bottom of the mouse itself, which is, from an aesthetical point of view, a good decision. It gives the mouse a very streamlined appearance; it just looks great. Though from a functional point of view, if you’re the kind of gamer that wants to be changing their DPI multiple times in one game on-the-fly, I don’t think this is the mouse for you. Personally though, I don’t find this to be an issue. I find 3500DPI way too fast and 400/800 way too slow. I settled for level 3 – 1200DPI. I do like the OSD notifications that come up when you change the DPI. Don’t forget - if you don’t like turning the mouse over to change the DPI settings you can also quite easily use the software itself to change them just as effectively.

The weight cartridge is a positive inclusion. It fits snugly so there is no rattling around inside the mouse during usage. The soft rubber of the cartridge makes it very easy to get the weights out for a quick change if it suits your style, though I elected to use the full weight cartridge as I like a heavy mouse that I feel that I am in control of. I’ve never been a fan of a lightweight mouse.

Browsing

During the university semester, I spend a larger percentage of my time being “productive”, it’s sad I know. This entails a lot of browsing, researching and undertaking other general usage activities (code: boring).

These types of longer-duration activities require a comfortable mouse. Using the MX518 for extended periods of time often resulted in sharp stabbing pains in the wrist, which as you can imagine, isn’t as fun as it sounds. So far with the Tt Saphira, I haven’t experienced these issues.

The mouse button clicks are very similar sounding to those on the MX518, though they are slightly less empty. The scroll noise is near-silent and thanks to the Teflon strips underneath which go nearly all the way around the outside of the base, it’s a very smooth movement when scanning around a page and navigating using gestures.

Gaming

I wanted to give this mouse a range of testing scenarios, as it is a gaming mouse. I ran through HL2 Episode 2, LoTRO, played a few levels of Serious Sam 3: BFE and spent a few hours on just to get a feel for the mouse in a variety of situations.

An hour of HL2’s slower paced exploration/FPS was great. The mouse tracked incredibly well, I have no issues to report on this front. It was comfortable to use, clicking was precise and it felt great under hand.

LoTRO is a very easy job for a mouse. Not much movement, but a lot of clicking and again, no faults to complain about. I had no issues with precise movements or with selecting small models from a distance on screen that are no more than a few pixels in width.

Serious Sam 3: BFE is always a great challenge for a mouse. It’s a very twitchy, mouse-heavy game and the Tt Saphira did not falter. Thanks to the Avago 3090 sensor, I had no issues with mouse tracking and precision. The insanely large amount of clicking, scrolling, clicking, scrolling, panning, clicking, clicking, clicking that the game is famous for wasn’t an issue either. It held up well to the frustrated firm-grip of a person playing on the harder difficulties, also ;) The Tt Saphira ate it all up.

Pros

Appearance/Design – Very smooth and sleek. The coating on the mouse is a very pleasant to use. The rubberised material enables precise movement without slipping.

Usability – Great. Gaming was a pleasure. The mouse is very comfortable for lengthy sessions of both hard-core gaming and mindless browsing.

Cons

The bottom of the mouse should really feature a “Do not look directly into this class-one laser” warning, just as is found on the back of the box. I stared into it several times before finding out that it’s not the safest thing to do, though this suggestion is the same for other mice who do not make it clear.

I also found that on the back of the box that the product is a “customised gaming mouse for FPS game type”. I find it strange that this is the case, being that the front of the box is emblazoned with “white-ra” and the back has his explanation of how the mouse is designed around his style of playing and how amazing it is. “White-ra” is a professional StarCraft II player. Wouldn’t it make more sense that the mouse is designed for RTS gamers? Have they designed the mouse wrong, or labelled the box wrong? I’m not sure.

Conclusion

Over the last few days, I have come to grow very fond of the Saphira. It fits my hand well and feels amazing under my fingers. It is a huge step up from the MX518 for me; I wouldn’t even put them on the same page. My biggest point I want to stress with this mouse is comfort and usability. It’s not awkwardly shaped like some mice, or covered with a hundred buttons that the average gamer wouldn’t ever use. It’s just a good quality mouse.

Also, going against the grain here, I'm sure, but I like the fact that the DPI buttons are on the base – it’s less things to accidentally press during a frenzied wave of enemies. Unless you really need to change DPI on the fly often, it's a normally pointless addition.

I’m not going to tell you that this is the greatest mouse in the world or that you should drop everything and beat on the doors of your local PC shop until you can get your hands on one. Or will I? No… I won’t. I will tell you though, that I really like this mouse. It’s a huge step up from the MX518 in terms of build quality and features. I think it’s a great piece of kit. If you’re looking for a good quality mouse without a dozen useless buttons and gimmicky features, this could be the mouse for you.

It was a pleasure doing this review and though scores are always subjective, I’m going to happily give the Tt eSports Saphira an 8.5 out of 10.

Thanks to Thermaltake and Smithter for the opportunity to give it a test. Much appreciated. :thumbup::thumbup:

7. Gunlock

Gunlock Member

UPDATE: I've tried going back to the G9 I used prior to this review and have come back to the Saphira. Well played, Thermaltake.

Introduction

First off, for the sake of transparency, i was given this mouse by Thermaltake after my review was complete.
    Second, I've always been a claw-grip man. This is the first time i've given a palm-grip mouse a proper test. My current mouse is a Logitech G9, a mouse i've had for a while now and have never found anything more comfortable.
    Third, unfortunately i'm buried under a weight of Uni assignments so this review isnt as well written as i would like, but i'm more than happy to answer any specific questions i've glossed over.

Packaging

The Saphira box is standard 'gaming accessory' fare. Picture of a gaming superstar on the front who says the mouse will make you the best ever etc etc. Personally i dont really take notice of the box a product like this comes in, and i believe the majority of buyers will have made up their minds about a purchase before they enter a store and look at the box.

The mouse itself came wrapped in a 2 part clam-shell plastic cover with the carry bag, disc and paperwork tucked in behind the mouse. Thermaltake have also included a soft carry case. I'm currently using this mouse for both my desktop and laptop, so the bag is appreciated.

RATING: 7 / 10. The inclusion of the soft bag bumped this rating up as i didn't find the box art particularly eye-catching.

The Mouse

The first time I held the mouse I wasn't a huge fan of the feel, solely because it wasn't my normal claw-grip. Over time, though, I started to feel more comfortable with the palm style.
    I noticed once i felt more comfortable I was able to use the side thumb buttons more easily and without the need to adjust my grip. I still find myself hitting the second (rear) thumb button occasionally when I try to adjust my grip on the mouse, but its starting to happen much less frequently.

The DPI adjustment. Oh, the DPI adjustment. Why did Thermaltake decide it was a good idea to put the DPI adjustment button on the bottom of the mouse? I've only adjusted the DPI a handful of times, until i found my personal favourite (Step 3). Every time i tried to adjust it though, i copped an eyeful of lasery goodness.

The weight adjustment offered by the mouse isn't as flash as other mice, with a rubber casing holding the weights under a plastic cover. It works however, and I found taking 4 of the 5 weights out of the mouse gave me the right weight.

The mouse also has a ridge on the far left of the left button and the far right of the right button which 'cup' your fingers on the mouse. I found this aided comfort and also gave me a little extra grip when moving the mouse around the pad.

The left and right buttons have a nice meaty click as does the scroll wheel. I feel the thumb buttons could have benefited from the same meaty click feel as i often mis-clicked them with only the slightest of pressure. I guess this is personal preference though, as others might like the twitchy button feel.

RATING: 8 / 10. This was a hard one as i couldn't fault the build of the mouse and comfort is a very personal thing. I tried to rate this only on the merits of the feel of the mouse and not my personal preferences.

The Software

Once i downloaded and installed the software from the Thermaltake E-sports website, www.ttesports.com, i loaded it up to see what it had to offer. The main window shows you a picture of the mouse where you can click any of the buttons to re-assign them to another key or a pre-made macro. Note, you cannot create a new macro directly from this screen, you need to press the "Macro Key" button on the far right hand side of the window to create a new macro and then bind it to a key.

The "Performance" tab opens a new window where you can set custom DPI levels for the mouse. I used 1,700-2000-2,700-3,500. You can also modify the double click, cursor and scroll speed as well as the polling rate (Which can also be changed directly from the mouse via a button on the bottom of the mouse).

Also, i had to add the saphira program to my antivirus whitelist (Kaspersky) as it kept reporting the software to have 'keylogging features'. Not really an issue, just an annoyance (More the fault of Kaspersky, i know, i just thought i would mention it)

RATING: 4 / 10. I felt like the software design was done in the last 10 minutes by someone on red bull. It was functional, but the design was poorly laid-out and looked pretty garish.

Conclusion

As my first real foray into the world of palm-grip mouses, i found the Saphira to be more comfortable than i expected. To be honest, nothing about this mouse is groundbreaking, but what Thermaltake have done is create a very solid mouse for a mid-level price point (Staticice shows them for sale around the $60 mark).

Would I buy one if I had to give this back? To be honest, probably not. This isn't a negative statement about the mouse, just my preference to claw-grip. If Thermaltake produced a smaller, claw grip mouse i'd probably lay down the money.

Overall Rating: 7 / 10. Again, not a ground breaking mouse but a solid one nonetheless. The biggest question is how the mouse will hold up over time. If this post is still up in 6 months, i'll update with how the mouse has worn.

IMAGES

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  8. Hepsily

Hepsily Member

I was recently luck enough to be chosen to test the Saphira Gaming mouse. The following is my observations in using this mouse in my general day to day activities.
    Packaging – The quality of the packaging we great, was a quality looking product from the start. Once I opened the box I was surprised to see the included stickers and the carry case, which up to this point had never considered for the a mouse. No CD was included in the packaging just a slip inside the manual directing you to the website for the latest ‘Free’ driver – aren’t drivers meant to be free? One thing I did notice in the quick start guide was the reference to the nonexistent CD.
    First thoughts and build quality – Once I had removed the mouse I noticed the non slip feet on the bottom of the mouse were coming unstuck.

Click to view full size!

Whilst this was an easy fix, just pressing them back on, it did not make for a great first impression.
    The braided cord with the included Velcro are good as is the TT logo on the USB plug – a few nice touches.
    The initial feel of the mouse was an unusual smoothness which is hard to describe and as such was unsure how it was going to be to use for an extended period, however after using the mouse for the last week I must say it’s a great cool, I really like it!
    Install and use – After a quick download and install (and restart!) I was good to go, the glowing red dragon and scroll wheel are good without being to much. Once I fired up the software it was pretty easy to get the mouse set up the way I like it. One thing I did notice with the software when I installed it on my net book was the inability to change the size of the window – something small I know but it made changing setting on a small resolution screen near impossible. The other issue I had with the software which wasn’t overly clear was using the sliders to set the DPI as opposed to just typing the desired DPI and hitting apply, small things but once were overcome were a non issue.
    The built in memory is great and once I had setup my profile on my main PC it was plug install and play on all other PC’s I tested it on.
    PRO’s
    Cool Dragon
    Braided cord with Velcro
    TT USB Plug
    Responsive – I’m no hard core gamer but its responsive without being over the top
    On board Memory

CON’s
    Software – not as good as the Logitech G500 software IMHO
    DPI button on the base of the mouse – I like switching ingame, something that is near impossible with this mouse

Final thoughts – A good mouse and a real contender if looking for a sub $100 gaming mouse. Would I buy one – No, cause the good people at TT gave me one for free! However I would definitely recommend checking it out if in the market for a new mouse.
    Overall I give this mouse a 7 out of 10.
    Thanks!

9. Cam_Cy

Cam_Cy Member

Okay, I guess it's better late than never with my review!

UNBOXING:

Why is this a thing? Will anyone actually be swayed in their choice of gaming peripheral by the quality of the box it comes in? Do we need reviews along the lines of "8/10 but would have been 10/10 if they'd included 2 more glow in the dark dragon stickers"? Is this how shallow we've become? I guess so. Let's press on then.

The Saphira Ttesports comes in a box. I know, I'm as shocked as you are! For some god-only-knows reason Thermaltake have decided to put a picture of Sickboy from Trainspotting on the front of the box. My first conclusion was that this mouse had been designed to work at peak efficiency when it's user was under the influence of heroin, or H as you kids call it these days. Unfortunately my rabid dismantling of the package revealed absolutely zero free samples of heroin but I was lucky enough to spy the name of the handsome e-warrior that graces the front of the box. Let me formally apologise to Aleksey "White-Ra" Krupnyk here as I'm afraid I had no idea at all who he was. Obviously I'm not enough of a gamer to be using a Saphira Ttesports!

On the plus side the Saphira comes with a nice little padded wetsuit-like bag. This is a great addition for those of us who take their "surfing" literally & don't want their mouse to get cold while they're catching a "wicked point break" or whatever it is surfers actually do. There's also a packet of stickers that are guaranteed* to improve your skill level in any type of game! There's a sticker on the front of the box that invites me to "Optimize your special tactics". Only my special tactics? What about my standard tactics, or my special strategies? I thought this mouse was meant to be versatile?

*Stickers do no such thing.

BROWSING:

You can most definitely use this mouse to browse the internet. I'm afraid it doesn't help your Supercoach score, make horrible flash based sites faster or enhance your enjoyment of online pornographic materials. It is, however, very comfortable to use for long browsing sessions & I simply LOVE the scroll wheel that's ribbed-for-my-pleasure!

GAMING:

I'm an avid TF2 & BF3 player and despite my complete lack of skill in either game I had to try the Saphira out in both of them. Now, I'm not going to tell you that the Saphira turned me from a complete n00b into an FPS gaming god because that would be a lie. It would be a lie of such epic proportions that God would be forced to strike me down without delay. The truth of the matter is that while I am still terrible I really enjoyed using the Saphira. It felt precise, smooth & very easy to use. The positioning of the DPI adjustment buttons is more puzzling than existance of Kerri-Anne Kennerly's career but I don't actually use them so It's hard to get to upset about it.

It could possibly use a few more buttons for MMO use but to be honest there's practically no limit to the number of buttons I can find a use for in an MMO. The side buttons allow you to get a good grip on the mouse while still finding it easy to hit them when necessary. This can sometimes be an issue for "claw" grippers like myself.

Overall:

I like it. I like it a lot. I like it more than my old Logitech MX518. I do not like it more than the Ferrari 458 in white with the black carbon roof. Suck it up Thermaltake, your mouse isn't as cool as a $700,000 Ferrari! As I'm a curmudgeonly old gamer who fears change, there was a fair chance that this review was going to be "hey, this feels different, I don't like it". I'm happy to report that this isn't the case. It's slightly bigger than my old mouse and actually fits my freakishly large hands, which is a nice change! It also has a glowing red light, which I'm completely ambivalent about. Was it worth the $0 i paid for it? Absolutely! Is it worth paying RRP for? Who the hell knows? I have no idea what the bloody thing is worth? Let's call it $80. would I pay $80 for it? Yeah probably.

I'd pay $100 if it had a free sample of heroin included!

PROS:

Great feel
    Awesome ribbed scroll wheel
    Precise
    Smooth
    Not 1 but 2 photos of Aleksey "White-Ra" Krupnyk
    Little pouch thing might be useful to someone. Don't ask me who
    Nice long braided cord

CONS:

Weird DPI button position. Only a con if you want to use the DPI buttons I guess
    Only 2 photos of Aleksey "White-Ra" Krupnyk. I think they could squeeze another one or 2 onto the box

Seriously though, I love the scroll wheel. In fact, I'm just sitting at my desk scrolling up & down right now! Oh Yeah!

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  10. archibaw

archibaw Member

First up, my one and only photo a size comparison. From left to right

Cyborg R.A.T 7, Razer Deathadder V2, Tt esport Saphira, Microsoft Sidewinder.

[​IMG]

With a soft rubber coating, finely braided cable and red LED lighting the Tt eSports Saphira is one good looking mouse.
    The top of the mouse features the standard button layout – left, right, back, forward and middle buttons.
    The buttons have a crisp and responsive feel and help to minimise accidental clicks during the heat of battle. The notched scroll wheel also has a positive feel.
    The five 4.5gram weights allow for weight adjustment. Fully weighted it felt just right for me.
    The underside of the mouse features four buttons – DPI adjust, polling rate adjust, profile selector and a profile lock button.
    The fact that these buttons are underneath the mouse is not a problem for me as I rarely, if ever need those adjustments whilst gaming.
    The sensor is a 3500 DPI unit which can be set from 100 to 3500 DPI in increments of 100.
    I believe the sensor is the Avago ADNS-3090. This is the same sensor that is in the Cyborg R.A.T 3, Cooler Master CM Storm Spawn and I'm pretty sure it is also in the Razer Deathadder V2
    You can have up to 4 individual DPI settings per profile.
    The software allows you to create up to five custom profiles, create custom macros and adjust the lighting. The software was easy to use and worked well.
    Whilst using the Saphira I also had a Razer Deathadder V2 and a Cyborg R.A.T 7 connected at the same time.
    This allowed me to quickly and easily change from one mouse to another to make comparisons.
    Having up to three or four mouses connected to my computer at any one time is normal for me.
    I will jump from mouse to mouse depending on how I feel or what I am doing.
    Comparing the Saphira to the Deathadder V2 I think is reasonable as they are in the same price range.
    The R.A.T 7 however is double the price so it would be unfair to compare the R.A.T 7 to the Saphira so I won’t.
    Also, I don’t know how others use their mouse but I use my index finger for the left button, middle finger for the scroll wheel, ring finger for the right button and thumb for side buttons.
    So I guess you could call me a three fingered mouser. I don’t know anyone else who uses their mouse this way but I’m sure there must be others.
    I only mention this as the Saphira is a little narrower than I’m used to, and my hand did at times feel a little cramped.
    If you are a two fingered mouser then this won’t be an issue.
    In the last week or more I have used the Saphira for gaming, Photoshop and general desktop use.
    With its conveniently placed buttons, responsive clicking, accurate sensor, precise scroll wheel and non-slip coating, using the Saphira has been a pleasant experience.
    In comparison to the Deathadder V2 I think they are about even. I could only separate them on two features.
    For me the Deathadder V2 wins over the Saphira in comfort but only because of the way I hold the mouse.
    The Saphira wins over the Deathadder V2 due to its better customisability.
    Apart from that they were pretty much inseparable.
    I would have to give the Saphira 8½ out of 10.
    If you are after a mouse around the $60 mark the Saphira will not disappoint.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  11. digamma

digamma Member

Sorry it's a bit late, but the mouse was over a week late getting to me, so in order to give it a fair shake, I took a little longer.

“Challenge is the game” is the philosophy of Tt esports, the extreme gaming division of Thermaltake, one of the largest and most well known manufacturers in the gaming and DIY market. What does this mean though? Anyone can make computer bits and pieces, but Thermaltake really do live up to their reputation as a solid player in the market. Designed in conjunction with Aleksey “White-ra” Krupnyk, a gamer well-known for his ability in Starcraft 2, the Thermaltake Saphira gaming mouse is the latest in the line-up of gaming peripherals the company have produced. And it looks the goods.

Upon opening the package from Tt, the first thing that struck me about the device is that it seems like a bit of a hybrid as far as gaming mice (mouses?) go, with a minimal complement of buttons, but as I was to learn, a plethora of important settings for those of us with urge to headshot. Inside the box is the mouse, a couple of stickers and a neoprene pouch to store the mouse in during transport from home to LAN and back again. Nice touch.

Before plugging it in, I had a good look and feel of the device. The surface of the mouse is covered in a soft textured rubber, along with pads on either side, making it a pleasure to hold, and not being slippery during those Diablo 3 gaming marathons. The scroll wheel is extremely textured, think of it like the 4wd tyre of mouse scroll wheels. It is beefy, which is fantastic for the feedback it provides. There are 4 lights at the front left side of the mouse to show the dpi setting, which, when holding the mouse, are in a very good position. Another nice little feature is the glowing Thermaltake esports logo at the back end of the mouse. It glows, on and off, or can be deactivated by software.

What really stood out was the cord. There are two schools of thought: some believe a true gaming mouse needs a cord for reliability, and some believe that modern wireless devices are up to the challenge. Personally, after having used cordless mice now for a while, I fall into the second category. I like the ease of movement an untethered device has. However, there is nothing wrong with corded mice, and in this mouse's case, it's fine. Sure makes it hard to lose! Anyway, what really stood out about the cord is the sleeving. Not only is it corded, it is a sleeved cord! Neat. Doesn't do anything to make the mouse better, but when presentation is such a big deal, this really has it is spades.

In hand, the mouse feels nice, the scroll wheel has a very positive feel and scroll movement, buttons 1 and 2 have a good solid click to them, but this is where I started to have a bad feeling: the side buttons. In the software (which I will get to later) the buttons can be mapped to a macro, single key action, default action or run a program. There are two things I didn't like about the side buttons: The position and softness of click. In my hand, the side buttons are too far forward, and in the middle of a game, I (and I imagine most gamers) want them in an easy to use position. I had to reposition my hand on the mouse to use the forward button. Not good. And then the click. If I'm using touch to feel which button I want to use, I'm going to inadvertently click on the wrong one trying to find it by feel. The buttons need something to tell them apart as they both feel the same when not looking. Not a good thing in a gaming mouse. Maybe longer use would help with that, but what I want from a device, especially a hands on device, is a short, shallow learning curve.

Underneath the mouse are the buttons for DPI, Polling Rate and Profile, plus a switch for Func(tion) Lock. My initial impression was annoyance that these were hidden away underneath, but upon further use and reflection, it really doesn't matter, As soon as you have the settings just the way you like, you won't touch these buttons again. Although the Func Lock button is there to stop the side buttons from being inadvertently clicked during gameplay, in windows it makes no difference at all. Another little feature underneath the mouse is the little hatch, inside of which is a series of five 4.5g weights in a rubber carrier. I've never been much of one to customise my mousing experience that far, but some people do. I was quite surprised to feel the difference in how easy it was to throw the mouse around without the added weights. It may have converted me to the wisdom that is adjustable weights!

Something that I noticed absent from the packaging when I unboxed the device, was any software. Some people might like having a physical disk to install from, but I think it is an interesting move, as it means you have to download the drivers, which means you always get the latest drivers. Speaking of the software, it is a fairly basic affair. It allows you to map all the buttons and save them into 5 different profiles. This is definitely something for the hardcore gamers out there, but is also becoming standard fare for gaming level mice.

Right, I suppose you want to know how it is to use during gameplay? It works. Simple as that. The various options there are to set in software and also with the hardware buttons will be an individual choice, but once you have it set up, it just goes, as you would expect. One thing I did notice was the ease with which this mouse glides around. I've used it on a vinyl desktop as well, as a polished table, a book, paper and a mouse mat and all I can say is this: It glides. The pads aren't the typical flat pads that most mice seem to have, or the little domed dots in the corners, this has nice domed pads around the top 3 edges and around the curve at the back end. And it makes this one very easy to move mouse. Exactly what you want in a game.

The idea of doing a review seemed kinda fun at the start. But having to review a product, when you already have that type of product, and love it, presents a bit of a challenge. This mouse certainly isn't a bad one, it's just a bit limited in extra features. What it has it good; what it needs is more. Looking at the price point of this mouse, it fits in just where it should. It can be had for around the $55 to $60 mark and is comparable to other manufacturers entry level gaming mice. If you are looking for a gaming mouse with some bells and whistles, this one ticks the right boxes.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  12. OP
    OP
    smithter

smithter Member

Just letting you guys know that all reviews are completed (bar one which I am following up), so people can post up now!

Thanks for your feedback guys, I will voice all of your concerns to HQ.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  13. sammy_b0i

Have a possibly temporary issue with my Saphira. Turned on the PC this morning and the DPI settings are all one notch lower. 400 barely moves, for example. I usually reside on 1200, but it is now moving as fast as 800. I need to put it to 3500DPI for it to move like it was on 1200DPI. Haven't unplugged/rebooted/reinstalled yet, just thought it was interesting to note.

Edit: Fixed by unplugging, changing usb ports. Back to normal now. What a strange issue.

14. TiMOiD

TiMOiD Member

was this resuming from sleep?

15. sammy_b0i

Nope, powered on after being off overnight.

16. OP
    OP
    smithter

smithter Member

I had the same issue as this once (I also use a Saphira), restarting my PC fixed the issue.

I've been using the mouse for a solid 4 months or so and the issue only came up once.

17. OP
    OP
    smithter

smithter Member