SATA HDD now suddenly removable after 5.10A update

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by jwai, Mar 18, 2007.

1. jwai

jwai Member

I just installed the 5.10A drivers, and now in XP, there is an option in the system tray to 'Safely Remove' the SATA HDD in my PC. Thing is though, I don't want to do that - that's the primary HDD where everything runs off. How do I make it not show up?

2. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

I'm not sure about the disabling of safely remove hardware, but for me ever since I've had a sata drive it's been there.

3. Fwoor

Fwoor Member

I would like to know too...

At the moment (when my main rig was up) I just ignore it...
    Uhhh, Oh yeah I think we might get better answers in the windows forum

=D

4. Darko

Darko Member

Check in the motherboard whether your hard drive is running in IDE or AHCI mode, if it's not already, try setting the hard drive to IDE mode then reboot and see if it makes a difference.
    One of the features in AHCI mode is that it allows the hard drive to be hot plugable which may be why the remove hardware icon is now on your taskbar.

5. PobodY

PobodY Member

I think you just have to live with it.

I upgraded from a P4 system to an Athlon 64, and it has always shown that message since new...

Just ignore it - there's no option to remove the icon, and I think as long as SATA drives are hot-swappable the message will remain.

6. luke o

luke o Member

Just google for the regedit hack to disable SATA hard disks showing up as removable drives, too lazy to find it myself. You know you can plug SATA drives in like USB devices while the PC is running and they get detected just fine, hence the icon appearing to safely remove them.

I disabled that showing up on my nforce 4 board awhile back it used to annoy me too... if you can't find the info I'll check back on this thread later.

7. Kaine[zof]

Kaine[zof] Member

try this

go into system properties (right click My computer, and pick Properties) then
    click the Hardware tab
    click Device Manager button
    look through the list for "Disk Drives" and expand the list (click the plus next to it)
    right click your hard drive (Mine says Samsung SP2504C)
    pick Properties then the Policies tab
    click the "Optimize for Performance" option, then enable "Enable write caching on the disk"

the above two options will gray out. OK your way back to desktop. With that setup my SATA2 hdd doesn't appear in the Safely Remove Hardware service.

8. Fwoor

Fwoor Member

or this..

"in the registry and created a DWORD value named DisableRemovable with value 1 under it. For the 32-bit version of the Nvidia drivers, you'd create the same value under

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvata"

stolen from ... (wait for the edit)...edit lol : here

9. Darko

Darko Member

I've been using SATA hard drives since they were first released and I've never had the removable hardware icon appear in the taskbar, so i'm a bit puzzled as to why/how so many people seem to get it.

10. luke o

luke o Member

it's called AMD, nforce/via chipset and xp sp2... if you don't meet those three criteria you probably won't have seen it.

11. PobodY

PobodY Member

This doesn't work for me... well, I'm not actually trying to get rid of the icon because it doesn't bother me. However, all my drives are set for "Optimize for Performance" and I still have the icon.

12. Darko

Darko Member

Is that so.......didn't know that.
    I guess if it bother some people why not just set it to hide the taskbar icon in properties.

13. luke o

luke o Member

Can do, it's just annoying if you use safely remove hardware and have say an external hard drive and a thumb drive then along with those two "real removable devices" you also have all your SATA hard drives show up in the remove list... a little annoying.

The registry hack is the way to go, clears these things up nicely.

14. noboundaries-au

noboundaries-au Member

Ya damn whingers :p