Sauce

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Tinian, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Cererus

Cererus Member

Lao Gan Ma - Are another brand of Chinese chilli based sauces/condiments know as Grumpy Chinese Grandmother brand by my missus due to the happy look on the face of the founder? on all bottles.

Attached Files:

2. varin

varin Member

Thanks for the name! I ended up going to 5 Asian grocery stores before I finally found one that had it in stock. It's the style I was thinking of!

I'll try this next thanks.

Attached Files:

iMomOx3 likes this.
  3. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Awesome!! Glad to help

varin likes this.
  4. scon

scon Member

We always have this on hand.

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

How hot are the grumpy grandma or the koon yick? I like spicy, but I'm not keen on hot as hot.

firey4059 likes this.
  6. varin

varin Member

Koon Yick is a pretty good spice level. It’s enough to know it’s spicy, but not too much that it overpowers.
    I’m interested to hear about Lao Gan Ma / grumpy grandma too, as I haven’t tried that one

firey4059 likes this.
  7. broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks, I'll look for Koon Yick up at the asian deli. I'm always at a bit of a loss as to which to get when I go in there, especially if the labels are all in asian characters and I can't read what they say.

firey4059 likes this.
  8. Cererus

Cererus Member

Lao Gan Ma make a lot of different condiments, depending which shop you go to the labels are either all Chinese and you have to go by the picture or some have English labels slapped on by the legit AU importer.
    Best one is the sichuan pepper/chili combo, also be aware if you have peanut allergies only get the ones with the English labels as they list the ingredients and some of the Lao Gan Ma range does have peanuts even though they're not pictured on the jar.
    They are not that hot, but I have a medium to high heat tolerance.

Another nice Asian sauce is the 2 ducks one from Indonesia, garlic/chili but it's pretty sweet as well.

Attached Files:

varin likes this.
  9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Bernaise works on almost anything.

Sesame is a must for salads, for example:
    https://www.theflyingpig.com/spices...-roasted-sesame-salad-dressing-pet-bottle-en/
    This stuff tastes like toasted and then mortared sesame seeds...............it also could go on most foods.........

Cheese (sauce on top of grated cheese's) is the must for Cauliflower bake.

Many other sauces, IMHO, disrupt the flavor profile and are only needed if the meal is craptacular, used to disguise someone's shit effort at prep/cooking.....................

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  10. kooksyau

kooksyau Member

True in some cases, however in other cases the meal may be dry without some form of sauce, or in other cases the sauce IS the flavour profile, and the rest is just to carry the sauce.

I do think it's important to match a sauce with whatever you're putting it on though, in that the combination is superior to either on their own.

And I'd never ever put tomato sauce on anything, that shit's just disgusting, and should only be used as an ingredient in making a tomato based sauce, such as bbq sauce.

But I still wish you could get Red E bbq sauce, that stuff was the bomb, I could almost have had it straight from the bottle.

Bold Eagle likes this.
  11. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

I must say the coles-brand "special burger sauce" is actually pretty win :p. And I say that as someone who usually makes their own stuff

firey4059 and l_ QuadX_l like this.
  12. kooksyau

kooksyau Member

Is that one of those big Mac sauce ripoff ones? Masterfoods has one as well, don't know if itsi available in the supermarkets but it's in the hospitality sector. Not to my taste due to the dill but people seem to like it.

13. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Yeah I'm fair sure that's what they're aiming it at. Not having had a big mac in about thirty years I cant comment on that, but it's certainly got a small amount of dill in it.

14. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

I really like the Balsamic vinegar concentrate/reduction... the really thick and strong stuff in the squeezy bottles. Straight over sausages and rissoles, and works on salad and veggies too.

15. alexb618

alexb618 Member

sriracha mayo sauce is amazing, a nice change from the two kewpies

16. broccoli

broccoli Member

What sort of sauce do they give you at Arirang Korean BBQ, does anyone know? It's very thick.

17. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

Try it on a meat pie plus a lil bit of tomato sauce and it's (suprisingly) awesome! Also I think their Burger Sauce tastes kinda bland unless mixed with either real tomatoes or some tomato sauce as I lazily do.

18. Baringa

Baringa Member

This isn't a sauce really, but a thing I really like are Lingham's pastes, for like curries and laksa, etc. I haven't been able to find them for ages but they're the best.

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

ooh, if we're including pastes, how about quince paste on cheese and biscuits. Yum.

firey4059 likes this.
  20. ging

ging Member

If you like Lingham you should give Vessimix a try:
    [​IMG]
    Chilli & mushroom paste. Can eat this all day with just plain white rice.

[​IMG]

Tom Yum paste. Goes nice with soup noodles or two minute noodles without enough flavour.

[​IMG]

Not Vessimix but this is a must on a pork roll / salad roll (along with Maggie seasoning).

firey4059, Baringa and Bold Eagle like this.