Scam emails using peoples personal details from PayPal

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Badooleoo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. OP
    OP
    Badooleoo

Badooleoo Member

What is set as your primary account in PayPal?

Mine was sent to my primary address.

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

I've had (at least - that's what's still in my trash folder) 2 dodgy emails purporting to be from adobe but mine were both addressed to "Customers" and did not contain any personal details. One was sent to an old email address which is no longer used (it's permanently forwarded to one of my new addresses) and one to my yahoo email address. I don't have a Paypal account.

It's very disturbing that information may have been obtained via PayPal and I hope those of you affected get to the bottom of it soon.

3. OP
    OP
    Badooleoo

Badooleoo Member

Yeah I have 2 friends who don't have a PayPal account and are not affected.

point*point*point*point*point* ---> PayPal

They better respond to my complaint I just made.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  4. wicky

wicky Member

Better change my PayPal password then...

5. Rezin

Rezin Member

While not discounting all of the replies confirming your suspicion, all I can say is that I have a "paypal@..." e-mail address (an alias) which hasn't received any spam. Subscribed though... keen to see what happens.

6. underskore

underskore Member

sent to me using my 'paypal name', dont use that variant of my name anywhere else.

7. OP
    OP
    Badooleoo

Badooleoo Member

Just updated the original post with a heap of scam domains I found. Some have allready been blocked, I cant access the original one in my email or the one kwhohasamullet had.

The sites I have been able to load also get javascript from secureonline.ru, secureonline.com from what ive seen.

8. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Same here. Only the primary address got the spam.

9. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

I have two PayPal accounts, I only got the email for one, thankfully one which I never use - with no bank or credit card details stored in it... however my full name and address were in there. I've just closed the account now.

The other account I have, I'm unsure if my ISP blocked the spam automatically or whether it is unaffected.

Can anyone with multiple accounts confirm their observations?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  10. zedstrange

zedstrange Member

Agree with OP - the mail list has come from Paypal, the proof I have is conclusive IMHO.

I have two Paypal accounts, and have created a unique email address on my own domain, eg paypalpersonal@domain.com and paypalbusiness@domain.com

I have only ever used these email addresses for my paypal logins, they have never been published anywhere, never used to send email, not told to anybody. They do not exist is mailboxes, they are just forwarded to another account.

It is not a result of a dictionary attack as they have used my real name, and I have not received 10000 emails in my catchall inbox.

Class Action? :tongue:

p.s. I cant beleive that after 8 years, this is my first post ever.

11. RnR

RnR Member

12. HeXa

HeXa Member

lol....

I got te email yesterday as well. Assumed it was personally addressed to me because my firstname and surname are part of my work address :p

same email used in my paypal acct

13. eixt

eixt Member

Like wise, and its using my full first name. I always shorten, except on paypal.
    Get the word out to some other tech sites around the world. It will be taken up pretty quickly. Im sure ebay/paypal will want this to fly under the radar

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  14. zeebee

zeebee New Member

One more confirmation for you...

Between my wife and I we have three paypal accounts. All three of these use email addresses that are unique to paypal, never used anywhere else (like the other poster above, they're of the form paypal-xxxxx@ourdomain.com).

All three of these accounts received variations of the adobe phishing email, all using our real names from paypal.

I've closed two of the three paypal accounts this morning (because we don't use them) and when prompted I let them know why.

Seriously, how hard is it to secure your customers data? I would love to see an official response to this, but of course I doubt we'll ever get it.

15. glasnt

glasnt Member

Hahahaha

I just checked my google spam, got the same email, definitely sourced from Paypal.

Bazinga!

-_-

16. ejsteven

ejsteven Member

Yep Paypal screwed up. I have an email account dedicated to Paypal and nothing else. I have never received spam before in that account and now I have a single mail in the spam folder.

17. OP
    OP
    Badooleoo

Badooleoo Member

Welcome to OCAU, what an honor to devirginise yourself in my thread :leet:

That is also me, notice the avatar?

18. RnR

RnR Member

Ahh - I have avatars switched off on ocau :)

19. KraSE

KraSE Member

same shit here with the adobe email to my paypal address..

20. Rezin

Rezin Member

Has there been any official comment from PayPal? Anything from anyone else? Or is this an OCAU/Badooleoo scoop!