Scam emails using peoples personal details from PayPal

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Badooleoo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. OP
    OP
    Badooleoo

Badooleoo Member

I cant find much about it online and this new stint has not been tied to PayPal anywhere. Seems we are the first to discover this.

All I found online was a topic last year (by a South Aussie too) on the same thing, this was back when they were addressing their scam to "customers" http://www.awesomedude.com/adboard/index.php?showtopic=5575 just as some people said they received here on OCAU.

Similar domains, similar email scams so the difference now is they somehow got information from PayPal.

Other related:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  2. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

when i did a breif google, all i found was a paypal thirdparty leaked data in 2005, didnt really find any other info, but it was a very breif and half assed search i performed.

3. OP
    OP
    Badooleoo

Badooleoo Member

Hrmm qwertylesh maybe thats why some people havnt got these emails?

Anyone got an account made after 2005 who got this email? I know somewhere in PayPal you can see when you created your account.

4. zeebee

zeebee New Member

Yeah my account was definitely created in the last year or so.

5. OP
    OP
    Badooleoo

Badooleoo Member

Yeah my mate who didn't get an email or notice one said he is pretty sure created his in 2006.

Pattern emerging?

6. King Krapp

King Krapp Member

I've got one in my spam folder too. I made my paypal account on 28/09/2008.

Someone should make a paypal account now with a different name/email to see if the leak was one-time or ongoing.

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

One question. (Sorry if it's dumb.)

I started a Paypal account once upon a time, but when Paypal insisted that I disclose my bank account details I closed it straight away. I still get occasional emails giving me news of some sort. These emails have my name in the subject line. Do those of you affected also get emails from Paypal with your account name in the subject line and, if so, is there some way those responsible for the scam emails could have got your information from these emails (instead of getting the information directly from Paypal's computers)?

8. OP
    OP
    Badooleoo

Badooleoo Member

broccoli: no my name is not anywhere except within PayPal, eBay I have a different name. This is the first time I have received spam addressed with my full name. That's why this rang alarm bells in my head.

Real PayPal emails I get such as when there is a change in their policy. This is not addressed by name and I have chosen within my account to be notified of any policy changes since PayPal can be sneaky with fee changes.

9. Dass Booty

Dass Booty Member

I am unable to find any news stories about Paypal being hacked and I haven't heard back from Paypal or Ebay about this issue. We may never know what happened. :mad:

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

If Paypal doesn't respond, I'd lodge a complaint with the Privacy Commissioner. If they look into it, you might get some useful information about what happened. Also, report it to Scam Watch. If many report it they might get a better picture as to what happened.

11. greebs

greebs Member

Yup, another here - have an account I use only for ebay and paypal - it also has my full name in there.

12. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Found my email too.

Dunno how to see how long I've had my account.

13. yon2004

yon2004 Member

Same here have the email addressed to my full name as it is on paypal, Sigh.

14. zeebee

zeebee New Member

Here's another thread talking about the spam emails.

ozgolf

Why is it that it's only Australian sites reporting the issue. I've searched for references in the United States and have found none.

Does everyone here have an ebay.com.au account rather than an ebay.com account? Are they actually separate things?

15. dracoMJB

dracoMJB Member

My work email gets these same spam emails and I've never used paypal with that email address.

What you are forgetting I think is that when you accept payment or make payment, PayPal passes on your details to the buyer or seller. So if they have become infected with a virus or malware or whatever your email address and name can then be harvested from their email and then once that's been harvested the names and email addresses get onsold and onsold so it's less likely to be PayPal leaking the name and email address.

16. IHateSpam

IHateSpam Member

I also received this spam from news_at_newman.cccampaigns.net including the exact real name I have with Paypal, which is written different to other places it's used on the web.

I don't want to take any heat off Paypal to explain, but if this is not a Paypal leak, then is it possible that one of the sellers on ebay.com.au has collected our ebay names and emails from purchases made from them with paypal? At times when I have made ebay purchases using Paypal, I believe they have disclosed my paypal name and email to the seller.

17. Grant

Grant Member

I'm not a prolific ebay user, so I doubt I have one seller in common with everyone else here, but I have bought stuff from china.

18. OP
    OP
    Badooleoo

Badooleoo Member

I'm pretty sure that's an OCAU member or at least I think markTHEblake commented here here too (zeebee replied in there) or someone who read this thread. That code box is the exact same as my OP. Spreading the word is good.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  19. HeXa

HeXa Member

I rarely use my paypal acct

<store names removed>

EDIT: seems not to be a reseller/vendor leak

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  20. Dass Booty

Dass Booty Member

The last thing I used Paypal for was a donation to the creator of ImgBurn. Nothing much before then. I still haven't heard back from Paypal or Ebay.