Scam emails using peoples personal details from PayPal

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Badooleoo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Mcbane

Mcbane Member

I have recieved this spam but i have never actually used my paypal account so my details couldn't have been forwarded by a seller/buyer

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  2. zeebee

zeebee New Member

I can confirm that it's not a seller/buyer etc. I have never used my paypal account - not once - and it had a unique email address that I've never shared with anyone. It's definitely some kind of paypal compromise.

3. sparkiekosten

sparkiekosten Member

FWIW I don't have an PayPal account and I have had none of the suspicious emails people are talking about.

4. juppy

juppy Member

Also have one in my spam folder. Interesting that it just seems to be Aussie accounts so far, would have guessed an Aussie seller had been compromised but then some people are saying they have never used their paypal account and still have the spam.

My wife's paypal email did not receive the spam, its a fairly new account in the last year. My own account however is about 10 years old.

I use my real name all the time online.

5. flareau

flareau Member

confirming i also got one from 'adobe'.

having said that my names all over the internet and i use paypal quite liberally

6. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I created a PayPal account about, err, 8 years ago or something? I assumed I would be using it, but never actually used it for anything. Eventually I emptied it of credit card info etc, and I'm lead to believe it's just been sitting idle and empty.

I too have a spam email, addressed to myself using my full name.

Very pissed off that this has happen. Let's see this through to the end.

7. Jobe

Jobe Member

I got this on my paypal account e-mail with name also. But I have also received it on other e-mail accounts - but the only one left in the junk mail that I can check doesn't have my name on it (even though the e-mail address is first.last@blah.edu.au >_<)

8. slavewone

slavewone Member

I can confirm that my primary PayPal email address is a also a sleeper (not acutally used, it is an alias for my day to day account). Paypal is set to send all messages to my work email and receipts to my main day to day account (to which the sleeper is an alias).

My 'sleeper' email address has the adobe email.

Looking very suspicious.

9. rush

rush Member

I don't have paypal, I didn't recieve an email.

My wife does have a paypal account, and did receive an email.

10. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

For fucks sake. I've just tried terminating my Pay Pal account, to find that I can only terminate it after giving them more personal info! What in the fuck!

So I've taken a screen dump of the spam email, sent it to them with with a message in big large letters requesting them to terminate my account due to the fact that there has been a breach in PayPal privacy, and due to this breach I can no longer trust them with more of my information.

Is there any way that I can close my limited Pay Pal account with out telling them more about me? Further to this, is all of the information within my account terminated upon the account deletion?

11. broccoli

broccoli Member

Do not give them any requested information. Make a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner. They can't demand personal information more than is necessary to do what they need to do.

Your information is not deleted upon termination of an account. Once Paypal has it, there's no way of getting them to remove it. When you close your account, all that happens is that you can no longer access it. It is still there.

Years ago, I opened a Paypal account to buy something. I disclosed my credit card details. Paypal insisted that I had to disclose my bank account details and give them access to my bank account. I refused as the request was outrageous. I immediately (tried to, not sure if I succeeded) closed the account, cancelled that credit card and made a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner. Nothing came of it.

During this debacle, I discovered that you can't get your information deleted. I could also not find any actual human beings to contact at Paypal. (These details may be vague, my old emails are archived on a different computer and I can't be bothered looking them up at the moment.)

Personally, I consider Paypal to be extremely dodgy as I can't think of any legitimate reason to require someone wanting to buy with a credit card to also give access to their bank account funds.

12. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

I got the spam sent to an exclusive account used only for shopping and family. In 5+ years it's never had spam.

I got the spam twice on 12/12/2010 - one from Adobe to "Dear Customers", the other from Skype to "Dear valued Skype users". I've never used Skype.

On 28/2/2011 I got another Adobe one, this time using my real full name. Everyone except financial services use an abbreviated form of my name. The spam uses the full version of my name, and I see it so rarely in print that it really stands out to me.

However, my bank account tied to PayPal is a special one I set up for Internet shopping. It can't be overdrawn, and generally only has a few bucks in it. I deposit cash to it, in person, when I need money in it for an online transaction. So I won't be shutting anything down, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on all of this.

13. mr.daneo

mr.daneo Member

I've noticed something that may be of value to working out when the leak may have happened. I received the spam email to an address that I removed from Paypal sometime in the last 12 months. There is no mention of this email address in my account profile anymore so presumably the compromise happened sometime before a year ago. So now the question is, did those who haven't receive the spam sign up less than 12 months ago?

14. Jarwedy

Jarwedy Member

no spam in either of my Primary or 2 backup email addresses. None sitting in the node filter either. Or maybe it takes time..

My paypal was made yonks ago. but after 2005, 06 maybe..

Do the people who got the spam use facebook/myspace? Not using your full name there?

We get the Adobe ones alot at work, the salutation is normally "Dear Customer". It now gets blocked 100% but I think none the less of it.

Also someones address book could of got compromised, they might have your full name against the email. have seen that happen before not in our company specifically but a 3rd party or customer.

15. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

My PayPal account is at least 10 years old. I have no Facebook or Myspace account.

My bet is still on it being a PayPal thing, rather than a compromised personal address book. Zedstrange reported getting the spam to a PayPal exclusive address. How would anyone else get hold of that?

It may also be a paypal.com.au thing. If it was in America, it'd be all over Reddit and other sites. Google only shows reports of this on Australian forums.

16. Jarwedy

Jarwedy Member

Valid point. Could it be likely that the AU paypal page got compromised and email address + passwords were farmed for a certain time?

If the DB got hacked I'm pretty sure there would be a news article somewhere about it?

Sort of worrying how much info was leaked, address, ph numbers ect.

17. OP
    OP
    Badooleoo

Badooleoo Member

I just received an email, basically this:

Code:
    [I]Thanks for reporting that suspicious-looking email. The email you
    received was not sent by PayPal and it links to a fake website. We are
    investigating and working on stopping the fraud.[/I]
    The rest of the email was about changing the password and ways to report unauthorised transactions.

18. Dass Booty

Dass Booty Member

Yep I got that email too. Looks like Paypal are going with the old close-eyes-fingers-in-ears-and-say-lalala strategy.

19. =BF=

=BF= Member

I have a visa card which is used exclusively on paypal. It was hijacked last August and used to buy around $10K worth of stuff from the apple shop in Sydney. I know of a few dozen others that had the same thing happen.

I started getting these emails in November last year but only the last one, received on the 28th Feb, used my paypal name in the email. My paypal name has my first and last names reversed so they are definately using paypal info and it was probably stolen last August.

Also, I just tried deleting my credit card from paypal and got the message, 'You may not remove your back-up funding source while an Instant Bank Transfer is still pending.' I have nothing pending. Their Sydney phone number is 1 800 073 263 or (02) 8223 9500 and I shall be contacting them tomorrow. They are open between Monday and Saturday 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM AESDT.

20. King Krapp

King Krapp Member

I got a card hijacked shortly after using Paypal checkout on DealExtreme mid-late last year. Wonder if it's related.