Scam emails using peoples personal details from PayPal

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Badooleoo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Dass Booty

Dass Booty Member

Interesting you mentioned DealExtreme and hijacking. I've been using them for years and I've never had an issue with payments. This popped up on their forum on the 27th February 2011. Credit Card Payment Available(Beta). Maybe connected to Paypal issues? Not likely, I know.

2. malloc

malloc Member

Same here, but it could easily have been a coincidence.

3. rush

rush Member

I think this is going to need some kind of media attention before paypal will take appropriate corrective action.

Anyone know any tech websites that accept news articles, or better yet, know any tech journos?

4. zedstrange

zedstrange Member

i have not forgotten this.

But I have access to four paypal accounts, one has never being used, one i have stopped using, one i use sparingly, and the last one I use a lot.

Whilst it is possible that i have shopped at one online seller with two paypal accounts, it is not probable, and impossible for all four.

Any other ideas?:p

5. Joe Public

Joe Public Member

Is this section of OCAU indexed by Google? If not, i'd start a thread over on whirlpool. It always seems to rank high in google whenever i'm searching for something. A google search for 'paypal' that returned a forum thread highlighting this issue would light a fire under Paypal, i'd suspect.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  6. OP
    OP
    Badooleoo

Badooleoo Member

Yes it is. Whirlpool is an excellent idea if someone hasn't done it already.

7. Jake_Barnes

Jake_Barnes Member

Saw someone mention this earlier so thought it might be of interest...

Wife has two paypal accounts, one US and one Australian. She received the email at the address attached to the Australian account but not the American account.

8. rosen

rosen Member

I had the same thing, which is rather strange, I don't use my full name anywhere on the net. And it did come to my paypal@domain.com email, thats only registered to paypal.

9. Dusk88

Dusk88 Member

10. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I almost did. Surprised it hasn't popped up there already!!!

11. zeebee

zeebee New Member

In relation to the comments about having to enter more personal information to close your account...

I closed two paypal accounts when this happened. The first asked me to enter my full credit card number attached to the paypal account, to prove it was me. Sure, whatever.

The second asked me to enter the bank account number attached to the paypal account. This account was closed years ago, and I have no record of the number. I was pissed - thinking I wasn't going to be able to close the paypal account because of this.

Just for larks, I went in and deleted the attached bank account, then went and tried to close the paypal account again. It didn't ask me anything and closed the account immediately. Nice security check, fools!

Of course, now I read that paypal keeps all your information around anyway, so I'm not sure closing your account does anything anyway.

12. mr_s

mr_s Member

faaaark.... looks like if you've ever purchased anything, your identity online can no longer yours in an instant...

13. echineon

echineon Member

I confirmed one spam mail from that dodgy Adobe. Only use it for uni and paypal. The only thing I did was changing my password, I tried to delete my bank account but it kept saying transaction pending despite I don't see anything on transaction list.:Paranoid:

14. BlueAvatar

BlueAvatar Member

These have been kicking around for a long time. I haven't seen ones with specific names on them before though. I have had a couple of these turn up at my work email recently but they were addressed to "Dear Adobe User".

15. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

Just got another Adobe one, but in plaintext and without my real name.

The originating domain in the header and the unsubscribe domain are owned by different companies, but with the same street address in North Carolina. Is this worth pursuing?

16. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

I just found it weird that for an account that gets no other spam, the spam that doesn't use my real name also happens to be for fake Adobe sites.

17. IHateSpam

IHateSpam Member

I would really like to see some resolution here. Has anyone approached Paypal about this? It's really inexcusable that Paypal Australia should have an information leak that goes unaddressed...

Today I received another spam (also pretending to be from Adobe) that was sent to an address I created solely for my dealings with dell.com.au. :(

These big tech companies should really be brought to account if they are mishandling the customer information, especially when they are dealing with payment and other personal information! Not happy at all!

18. MisuVir

MisuVir Member

I also received an email this morning from "newsletter @ adobe-acrobatx-pro . com" sent to my Dell sub-address.

19. MisuVir

MisuVir Member

Just received this:

20. King Krapp

King Krapp Member

What's the link between Epsilon and PayPal?