Scammed on Gumtree - Phone Repair recommendations

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by th3_hawk, Apr 26, 2019.

1. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

So I picked up a Nokia 6.1 Plus on Gumtree, NIB, unwanted gift. The phone itself looks pristine, the box included all the things look completely untouched, just as pictured and described.

But the USB-C port is dodgy as all hell and maybe sort of takes a charge if it's at *just* the right angle. Maybe. It does seem to be very slow to charge even when on this angle (usually with a little pressure too) and it does seem to give up if the table is bumped so doesn't seem to be able to be just put it down adjusted and left to charge up.

The seller seems to have instantly deleted the ad and deleted the conversation after I picked it up and stupid me doesn't have any other contact details, met in person, paid in cash. First time in many many years I've run across something like this, but from now on I think phones from randoms are off the list of gumtree purchases.

Anyway, the phone itself is beautiful, as an iPhone user this was a bit of a cheap test unit to see if I would like modern Android after which this unit could then to be handed to one of the kids as a cheap phone for them to destroy. Sadly this doesn't seem to be the case now.

So I feel like this is either a broken board or a broken connector.

If it's the board I'm probably SOL being such a cheap (and non-Australian) phone.
    If it's the connector, maybe it's repairable by the right person.

Is there anywhere/one in Melbourne who is likely to:
    a) have the skillset to open this up and repair a connector.
    b) not charge a fortune for this.

Or do I just chalk this up to lessons learnt and just buy one from Kogan or COTD for ~$300 delivered (arguably what I should have done in the first place).

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/nokia-61-plus-64gb-blue-nokia/
    https://www.catch.com.au/product/no...=1&asp=1&aqi=ef478f782028f51f035df26a7101bd97

It *maybe* can be claimed under warranty in China (where it came from apparently), although with no receipt I don't know how well I will go but do have some Chinese speaking people at work who might be able to help me at least ask the question... not a lot to lose at this point.

Plan C is to sell it as is for parts to try and at least get back something.

2. sanjay

sanjay Member

Even if you had his details, what would you do? Confronting a scammer over a $300 phone seems like it would be a fools errand and the police wouldn't be less interested (in fact given you have a phone at all they would say its a Civil matter).

The usb port boards on these phones are usually separate and can be replaced. Your average Asian phone store should be able to do the fix. Probably even more cheaply if you buy the part off of ebay/aliexpress yourself.

3. OP
    OP
    th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

You're right, short of calling and demanding a refund only to be hung up on and blocked there isn't much to be done. I did power it up and made sure it was all in one piece and working, this isn't something I thought to look at.

BUT, you sir, are a legend. Brilliant suggestion! I didn't even think about sourcing the parts myself (or attempting the repair), seems I can buy a replacement board for a couple of bucks!

Here is one example:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For...65-49d5-a359-aada610e1439&transAbTest=ae803_4

A replacement rear housing with new adhesive is also only a few bucks:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Shy...h0104.8.28.7b3b73f4GVh1g5&transAbTest=ae803_4

The teardown on this one is pretty simple, adhesive on the rear glass, a couple of screw on the module and the two connectors. I don't think I've done a repair with adhesive removal, but definitely plenty of antenna and flat connectors, just going slow is the key. That said, maybe I shop around on repair places who maybe want to do it on the cheap anyway.

Thanks very much Sanjay, I think I'm just tired, pissed off and with a bit of a headache not really thinking straight.

Havabigjuan and firey4059 like this.
  4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

There are lot's of guides to.....

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  5. sanjay

sanjay Member

Just go slow with a hair-dryer or heat gun. Really, if you're buying a replacement rear glass too, you don't even need to be that careful (I. E. Who cares if it breaks during removal)

6. OP
    OP
    th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

The new glass was mostly for the new adhesive. For a total cost under US$10 I feel like it's worth just grabbing both parts to keep things simple.

Parts ordered and on their way... in the next 25 - 60 days :p

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Phones seem to be at the center of a lot of scamming. I tend to stay well clear and always recommend others do too.

8. Hater

Hater Member

It's real, I assume?

I just ask as my sister was done in 2014 or so with a brand new iPhone 4S which turned out to be a dodgy Android iPhone copy... and I assume it'd be easier to make a dodgy Android copy Nokia with vanilla Android than the gleaming issues that Android fake iOS has...

9. OP
    OP
    th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

The phone looks and feel right, IMEI checks out, works as it should other than the USBC Port. Feels like someone just passing on their problem to someone else.

10. miicah

miicah Member

Dodgy USB-C port is a known issue on a lot of Nokia phones. Mine is also 'loose' but still charges without having to hold it on an angle.

11. asho444

asho444 Member

Have you tried it with another cable, have seen this caused by a dodgy cable aswell.

12. Sunder

Sunder Member

I've seen this caused by a non-dodgy cable on Micro-USB too. Had a device that charged perfectly on a Blitzwolf cable (that's tight on every other device), but needed a bit of bumping on a Samsung genuine USB cable, that worked perfectly on every other device.

Although there is a Micro USB standard, I suspect not all manufacturers can manufacture consistently to the standards required. In fact, this could have been sold cheap as a factory second?

As for charging slowly, I'm not that familiar with the C standard, but to get over 500ma on the B standards, you need at least 4 pins connected in order to negotiate the faster charge speeds, so probably still dodgy cable?

13. power

power Member

did you get the Nokia charger? They ship with a fast charger.

14. 1dongchen

1dongchen Member

I've got the same phone and the same problem. My $3 part is on the boat from China. The local phone repair mob in the shopping centre quoted $50 to change it for me.

15. OP
    OP
    th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Interesting to hear someone with the same issue. $50 sounds sort of reasonable, I'm not sure if I *want* to pay that or just try myself and keep the $50. I have stripped multiple iPhone (3GS era) phones and rebuilt a couple from working parts in the past, so I'm definitely capable and this might just be a challenge. On the flip side, the risk on the those 3GS's was nil since they were all considered dead before I started, this one actually works (mostly :p ). I don't need to make that decision just yet... so watch this space.

1dongchen likes this.
  16. 1dongchen

1dongchen Member

Good luck. I haven't watched a repair video, but I imagine it involves heating it to open it and then gluing it shut. I'd have to buy things to do both of those bits so I'll just pay the $50. For what it's worth I liked the phone before it had its charging problems.

17. OP
    OP
    th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

20 days later the board arrived, although not the glass yet. In the interim, I ordered some 'red tape' to put it back together.

Unsurprisingly, I decided to do it myself. A few minutes with the heat gun and some gentle persuasion with a guitar pick saw the back panel come off neatly. Five screws and a plastic cover later the module dropped out without fuss and the new one was installed. The old adhesive came away easily enough (rubbery stuff that it is) and the new tape went on. I can't get the bottom edge of the glass to sit quite flush although the other sides seem fine on first tape application, for the moment I have it in some clamps to see if the tape needs to cure a little in place or something... it's also cheap eBay tab and easy enough to try again (and again).

So it seems the extra glass wasn't needed after all, but I bet if I didn't have it I would have needed it (it's also not here yet). The glass actually comes with 3M tape to suit, so I can try that too if the camps don't work.

... but the important thing. The phone is now connecting to power (and data) without any issue, every time. I've also now got one of those little USB power meter things and it looks to be charging as it should.

Pretty happy with the outcome right now.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    power and Bold Eagle like this.
  18. Hater

Hater Member

That's pretty good then.

Still sounds like a shit design though. Any way to beef it up?

19. OP
    OP
    th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

It doesn't look like it. The original one didn't actually look like it was physically broken and it sounds like this might just be a common problem. One option would be to grab one of those adaptors that sticks to the back and adds Qi charging to non-Qi phones. Using that would mean there is never any stress on the port.

Something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com.au/Wireless-Charging-Receiver-Nillkin-Charger/dp/B06Y5FDXD4?th=1

Would just have to be careful with the Nokia and it's fingerprint location.

20. sanjay

sanjay Member

this is going to be a big problem going forwards with the advent of phones that rely on the USB-C port for headphone output. no way would i want to be putting the kind of pressure exerted by a headphone cable coming out of a pocket on a USB-C port (compared to a 3.5mm headphone jack).