scandisk/defrag

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Badger, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

running defrag on 98SE, it just keeps restarting over and over (as does scandisk) after about 10 sec. have rebooted etc still won't work.

only TSR ( ctrl-atl-del and look in box) are: explorer, systray, fwlink.

anyone know what is going on?

I found out cos I left it to defrag over the weekend ( only 2Gb disk) and it hadn't done anything when I got back today. Tried scandisk to see if it could fix it, no joy.

2. KyocEr@~*

KyocEr@~* Member

Hmmm...

task scheduler active? Also it might be some other mysterious program lurking in the background... do a msconfig and see what other things are starting up when you boot your system, go through and if one looks suspiciously like some mysterious program, see if unclicking will help...?

Haven't used 98se in ages, sorry.

3. OP
    OP
    Badger

Badger Caveat lector

yeah pretty sure I have weeded everything out of msconfig, however login script is run from the network and may have changed something. I rang the helpdesk (with my list of problems!) we will see if they can fix it.

4. Skitza

Skitza Member

the 98 scandisk + defrga is the biggest POS ever integrated into 98. if you havent done a SD+Defrg for a long time and there are errors on that drive it wont scan it. There are other scandisks and defragers out there like the norton one. See if you can scan it in a 2k or XP machine, they actually work and are very good.

5. gords

gords Oh deer!

Badger: Tried defragging the Win98 box in safe mode? It's the only way I can defrag my two Win98 machines - they just keep restarting the defrag otherwise.

6. Shawry

Shawry Member

You can get a proggie, Power Defrag i think (dont quote me on that!) that does a defrag before explorer loads. I found that using this program was the only way i could defrag my 98SE machine.

7. KENNY P

KENNY P Member

Had same problem on two pcs.. found it will only defrag if nothing but explorer is running..I turned all else off using ctrl alt delete