1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

School VDI Implimentation

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by scottath, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Daemon

Daemon Member

I manage a fleet of servers with Fusion IO cards, if your suffering poor write performance then you're doing something horridly wrong. Random writes is exactly where these cards absolutely scream along.
    If you want to do VDI, then you need to spend the proper money on infrastructure. Assuming your $180k figure is correct, amortised out over 3 years you're looking at less than 20 dollars per user (inc interest).

The biggest fault most people make is undersizing their infrastructure and somehow thinking this will lead to "savings".

2. Kalm.

Kalm. Member

How did you arrive at this $20 figure ?

Overspending when it isn't necessary is also a problem.

3. Daemon

Daemon Member

http://www.nab.com.au/business/calculators-and-tools/equipment-finance-repayment-calculator

10% balloon is $5,247 a month. With 300 users that's $17.49 each.

Possibly, like I said I don't know where the 180k figure came from. I was simply highlighting that it's not as scary as some would believe. VDI is very much an area where people have grossly underestimated the IOPS requirement. Failure to do this results in horrid user experience, we just had a thread about this recently.

4. ryan268

ryan268 Member

I was more getting at the point that a 3 node nutanix cluster is about $180k for 300 users which for most schools isn't cost effective considering it can be done for a lot less with local storage, which is all you need for non persistent desktops and using software like View Persona.

5. juz88

juz88 Member

6. juz88

juz88 Member

lol I never said the write performance was poor, just for the money your spending on cards its a waste. It would be much more beneficial buy a all flash array where you will get significantly more IOPS than spinning disk and if you use NetApps WAFL system random writes will destroy the FusionIO cards you buy.

7. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I'm questioning what his use case was.

I've just checked processes running per user on my TS farm (mostly task workers, some knowledge)... Average is 10... this includes several 'agent' type processes per user, that have little to no IO 99.9% of the time.

"Dozens or even hundreds" seems an order of magnitude outside of a real world use case scenario. Looking at my users, I get

• a mail client,
    • a web browser
    • our line of business app

As "Applications". Most of the user data IO is redirected, meaning that data shouldn't be hitting the VDI disks at all)

8. tullytyro

tullytyro Member

*disclaimer* Nutanix employee.

That quote sounds high to me - but it would depend on what config your '300 users' requires. Obviously the infrastructure required to run 300 users at 2vCPU and 4GB RAM and 100GB HDD running 20 apps each would cost more than 300 users at 1vCPU/2GB RAM and 50GB HDD running only 10 apps.

The other option Nutanix offers is 'VDI assurance'. Basically, at a fixed price per user and Nutanix provides the infrastructure necessary to run it http://www.nutanix.com/nutanix-vdi-assurance/

...again the price would vary depending on the class of user. But this is the advantage of converged solutions (no blaming storage or compute separately). There would not be many vendors that would guarantee the performance of VDI on their platforms...and at the end of the day performance on end-user desktops is what matters (unhappy users = unhappy sysadmins/CIOs).

9. cvidler

cvidler Member

Yes. Veeam vs. VDR/VDP/VDPA is no contest.

the VMWare option is better than noting, but not by much.
    I've found it to be less than reliable - especially when you need it most - recovery.

Veeam on the other hand, imho easier to use/configure. And I've had zero problems with it, restored many a VM with it with no grief.

10. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

What sort of cost per user, and minimum users numbers am I looking at for this sort of thing? Is any of the client software (ie, Windows VDA licenses etc) included?

I understand it will vary depending on specifics, but a ballpark figure for the OP's situation would be nice (64 seats, 30 task, 20 knowledge, 14 power usage split)

11. 3t3rna1

3t3rna1 Member

And from left field.... oVirt + Spice

Based on RHEV, costs you nothing to trial and has a decent HTML5 client.

12. tullytyro

tullytyro Member

I think the VDI assurance would work better at larger deployments (mainly because of the NX-3060 platform that is generally used (good for VDI) and I think the list pricing goes from approx $400 to $800 per desktop USD - which covers the infra side (storage and servers and Nutanix software). Hypervisor and VDI software is not included (Nutanix leaves it up to the customer to provide licensing for their hypervisor of choice). At the end of the day, Nutanix doesn't care what type of VM is running on it (VDI or SQL/Exchange/Oracle - its all just a VM to us).

64 desktops would normally be a 'pilot' size deployment for Nutanix - so the economics need to be considered if that was the 'end state' number of users.... perhaps a 3 node NX-1050 cluster (always start with 3 nodes min).

If you start talking about 100s or 1000s of users then Nutanix makes a LOT of sense...the key with Nutanix is that you can start at the pilot phase and expand later to 100s or 1000s of users without changing the infrastructure (no rip/replace - just add more nodes/servers - and performance remains the same as you grow).

Ping me a msg if you want more pricing details - as there are a lot of options (starter/pro/ultimate versions of Nutanix software) etc - and they all are priced differently (http://www.nutanix.com/software/) - although you can run our software on any model of h/w.... and mix/match h/w models in the same cluster as well.

Check out the nutanix thread for more details and customer reviews too.