Scientists Successfully Embed Silicon Chips Inside Human Cells

Discussion in 'Science' started by chainbolt, Mar 23, 2010.

1. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Scientists Successfully Embed Silicon Chips Inside Human Cells

Again DAPRA, getting scary. :sick:

2. Sorak

Sorak Member

how long until i can shoot lazar beams from my eyes?

3. Foliage

Foliage Member

I don't understand this, I thought they were just seeing if cells could survive with silicon chips implanted in them, not that they were building self repairing cells that are immortal?

4. led_blind

led_blind Member

I think what they mean is they used "the first immortal human cell line derived from a poor, cancer-stricken woman"

These immortal cells survived one week once all siliconed up..... I

5. Athiril

Athiril Member

The cells are 'immortal' from a cancer patient.

Potentially it could mean having cancer, but nullifying it spreading and it's effects on the body.

6. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

Immortal cell line doesnt mean that each individual cell is immortal, it means that it will keep producing new cells for ever..

7. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  8. Athiril

Athiril Member

And hence nullify the cancer by having a continuous supply of healthy cells right?

9. Foliage

Foliage Member

I thought they just injected a cell with silicon, it would still die just as quickly no?

I really doubt they have engineered a cell that keeps replicating forever without issue?

10. Meowrrr

Meowrrr Member

What they mean by 'immortal' is that these cells are no longer limited by telomere length as to how long each individual cell lives. If you took a cheek swab and tried to grow those cells in culture, they would only last a few divisions (6-8 before they start dying). Immortal cell lines can theoretically last forever.

As to the findings, it is cool because most cells don't like having random foreign objects inserted. Although the fact that they only looked at survival upto 1 week is pretty shit.

I would take everything with a massive pinch of salt. Scientists (me included) like to embellish the importance of their discoveries and 'massage' their conclusions even when unsupported by data.

If you ever want some lols, read Nature or Science. Highest rated science journals, but full of BS

11. Meowrrr

Meowrrr Member

wrong

Cancer is basically cells that have lost the ability to control their growth and divide continuously and take over the healthy surrounding tissue (very very lay explanation but it'll do). There are a few theories around but one of the most common beliefs is that there is a cancer stem cells, basically a cell that was immortal, but also gained some sort of mutation (eg. via uv rays) that makes it unable to keep a check on its division. All its progeny are also mutated and so can't control their growth either, and voila, you can has tumor.

12. Foliage

Foliage Member

So by having the silicon inserted into them they last longer than 6-8 cell divisions before dying? If so what does inserting a silicon chip into a cell have to do with this?

Regarding your last point that is exactly what I thought when I read the article, I just am confused by what the immortal statement is referring to.

13. Meowrrr

Meowrrr Member

the immortal is referring to the fact that they used an immortalized cell line. You can also use a freshly derived cell line from human tissue (which is more of a reflection of how cells behave in a body than these immortalized cells). Just ignore the word immortal in that sentence.

By having the silicon inserted into the cells they still survived according to their normal parameters, indicating that previous attempts to insert silicon may have killed cells instantaneously.

14. Lucifers Mentor

Lucifers Mentor Member

Just to clarify (not for Meowrrrr) - the immortal cell line is the HeLa cells mentione dpreviously. There's some fascinating stuff about the work that brought HeLa about,a nd the life of the lady HeLa is named after (the aformentioned old lady with cancer).

This cell line has been arround since 1951, when they were cultivated from Henrietta Lacks (I believe while she was dying, or just after she died, from memory), so what they've done here is used the HeLa cells as a carrier for the silicon chips, to put it basically.

15. Foliage

Foliage Member

Ok thanks that makes a lot more sense now.

16. Phool

Phool Member

17. Nado

Nado Member

This is how it starts, haven't they seen Terminator? they'll kill us all!

18. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

This thing was just a machine covered up with flash like plastic parts. DRAPA will go beyond this. Combining human cells with silicon chips will make an android?

19. ck_psy

ck_psy Member

mark of the beast,

right hand/forehead here we come..

20. Foliage

Foliage Member

Uh what?

This is going to have medical benefits in the future, I don't really know what you are implying they are trying to do though.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010