1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Scorptec Christmas PC Giveaway Comp - You Create. We Build. You Win.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by SCORPTEC, Dec 9, 2013.

1. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Then "the guy" doesn't really know what he's doing when it comes to hardware. :p

From your earlier post, it sounds like your GPU is stuffed... runs fine in 2D desktop mode but craps out as soon as you put any load on it in 3D games.
    Buy a new GPU and have your tech mate install it (or check out a couple of video guides on youtube and do it yourself, it's really not that hard) and you should be laughing.

I won't threadcrap here any further, but shoot me a Private Message and/or post up a thread in Troubleshooting Help
    and we'll do our best to help out. We can't have you gameless mate... that's a tragedy over the holiday break. ;)

Regarding the worthiness of the eventual winner, I do have a pretty decent rig already but the hardware is four generations old now and starting to show its age under more intense workloads (especially graphical).
    Also my GF is starting her own business and really really needs a reliable machine to work from... at the moment she is using a secondhand Asus C2D lappy she picked up from her brother, which is as slow as a wet week and incredibly frustrating/awkward to use on account of a busted screen hinge, faulty touchpad and flaky cooling. I could probably pull it apart and fix at least a couple of those things, but what's the point? It'll still run like a dog.
    So I'm hoping to rebuild my existing machine for her home-office use and get her a tablet for mobile.... if I win of course. :)

Once again, best of luck to all the finalists and best wishes of the season to all. :thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  2. Grimjaw.ryan

Grimjaw.ryan New Member

yeah man understandable with the gf and out dated comp, im still running an i7 920 8 gig corsair with a 5850 oc, so i understand the frustration of needing a new comp, i've had bad luck with computers in my household, my whole computer room is now sectioned off from my kids as i've gone through 1 gaming mouse and 2 gaming headsets due to my 3 year old watching movies on my pc ( with her mothers permission while im at work lol ) much to my dislike when i have a 2 T portable drive with all her movies on it, and my gaming laptop was dropped on the floor face first by my wife, cracking the main board and smashing the 17.1inch led 3d screen on it lol :( wasn't worth paying asus the $900 to fix it because i could only resell it for just over a grand when it could of went for $2000 second hand none refurbished and its hard to come by that money any ways.

As for it being the gpu man i dont think it is, because i can play league of legends perfectly fine but when i load up any other games such as BF4 D3 and SC2 the whole computer crashes, plus he cleaned the graffics card and even tested my computer with his card and it still crashed, so im lost with what is causing it.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  3. OP
    OP
    SCORPTEC

SCORPTEC Member

[​IMG]

Just letting everyone know the competition winner should be decided next week, just waiting for some of the judging panel to come back from holiday :)

Thanks again to Agg for all his help and good luck to the remaining 14 finalists!

4. OP
    OP
    SCORPTEC

SCORPTEC Member

[​IMG]

Thank you to everybody who participated in this Build-A-PC competition! It was really great to see what everybody chose and how they justified their build choices. It was incredibly tough choosing the winner which is why it took so much longer than we initially anticipated. But in the end, there may be only one winner! As voted by the panel of judges from Scorptec, Asus, Corsair & Intel.

Congratulations to TimberWolf21 who has scored himself his build affectionately named “Excite”, worth EXACTLY $2500! If you could please PM us your name, address and contact details we can get your order under way and ready for delivery!

And as a BONUS to the winner thanks to our good friends at Corsair... TimberWolf21 has been allowed to pick any Corsair Mouse, Keyboard & Headset from the Scorptec website to be included for FREE, in addition to their $2,500 winning system build!!

A big thanks to ASUS, Intel and Corsair who sponsored this competition, without you guys this would not have been possible.

TimberWolf21's Excite Machine can be found here;
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=15774112&postcount=17

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  5. OpenSystem

OpenSystem (Banned or Deleted)

this seems a little suspect. a member just joined with 2 posts wins the comp.

hmmmm.

and talk about a corsair plug.

6. kesawi

kesawi Member

Well done TimberWolf21 :thumbup:

7. NNNG

NNNG Member

My build is still better, no use having a 780 with that screen. :p

Congratulations though!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  8. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Of course it's a Corsair plug, they sponsored the thing. :) As for the new member, he was the only one of the 15 finalists, and as I said, he had a real email address and his IP wasn't shared with any other new signups. There was certainly no conspiracy about who I chose to be in the final list, and one of them had to win. I can see that people might be concerned, but as mentioned elsewhere Scorptec (quite rightly) promoted this contest on their Facebook/etc pages, so we saw a lot of new members join the forum.

9. OpenSystem

OpenSystem (Banned or Deleted)

That will teach me to read :shock:

10. leck

leck Member

Wow awesome bonus prizes. Congrats to the winner :). and also congrats to the top 5!

Some great builds in there. Would have been tough to choose :)

Thanks for the comp scorptec and Ocau. Enjoyed the anticipation!

11. DUO

DUO Member

congrats TimberWolf21 and thanks Scorptec for the comp. was lots of fun.
    Really wanted to win this one!
    ahhh well - still think my build was better :lol:

12. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Awww.... I guess it's back to scanning the For Sale forums then. :lol:

Thanks again to Scorptec and OCAU for a fun comp, and congrats to TimberWolf21... nice new year pressie, enjoy it mate! :D
    Would love to see some pics of the build posted in this thread once it arrives.

Welcome to all the new members who joined up to enter the comp.
    New additions to the community are a good thing (well, usually... :lol:).

13. TimberWolf21

TimberWolf21 New Member

:shock: I'm shocked, didn't see this coming at all.
    A big thank you to Agg, Scorptec, OCAU, Corsair, ASUS and Intel, means a great deal. Cheers everyone for the congratulations, made my week with a chest infection much better :p
    TimberWolf21

14. archibaw

archibaw Member

Close but no cigar, congrats to TimberWolf21.
    Thanks to Scorptec, OCAU, Corsair, ASUS and Intel, we must do it again sometime.

15. poita85

poita85 Member

Congrats TimberWolf, very jealous!

Was a bit excited last night when a friend messaged me saying the winner of the competition used the whole $2,500 of the competition budget (I did as well)!

16. Quick Reply

Quick Reply Member

Congratulations TimberWolf21, a very nice build! :thumbup:

All entries were very good, a very close race. I'm thrilled that My entry got as far as being runner up.

Any consolation prizes for 2nd (me)/Top 5/Top 14? :tongue:

17. LinX

LinX Member

Digital Nomad .. I go where my whimsy takes me.
    Congrats everyone.. it was fun..

I'll have to fund my own steam box.. lol

Have fun!

18. kesawi

kesawi Member

I was surprised that your server build was up there. Well done though for just edging me out from runner up :thumbup: The commentary that goes with your build is an entertaining read :lol:

19. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Good work Timberwolf. Nice build.

Gutted that I left a monitor out, my build was almost identical but left a monitor out due to having no need for one. After re-reading realised I had stuffed up and we wern't allowed to edit....:upset: