1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Scorptec Christmas PC Giveaway Comp - You Create. We Build. You Win.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by SCORPTEC, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Member

[​IMG]

Case: Corsair - CC350D: - M-ATX is all you need, so much wasted space in ATX cases I find. The non window version because, 'Any man who must say 'I am the king' is no true king'.

Motherbarod: ASUS - Z87M-PLUS: As there was only two to choose from I picked the which could be expanded on easier (2nd PCi-e slot and more dimm slots if you wanted to go that way in the future)

Videocard: Asus R9290-4GD5: Currently I believe the AMD 290 is the best bang for its buck.

PSU: Corsair - CMPSU-650HXv2: I picked this one over the other because of the Gold rating and 7 year warranty

SDD: Corsair - CSSD-N240GBGTXB-BK: 240gig is good size even for a gaming machine. Sure you can't have your 100 steam games installed at one time, but who really cycles through more than 10 games in a given month.

Keyboard: Corsair - VENGEANCE-K95: The others one all seem to have brushed aluminum, which didn't suit the looks of the rest of the system.

Mouse: Corsair - RAPTOR-M3: I prefer the feel of a smaller mouse, Corsairs other mice seemed a little overkill.

Memory: Corsair - CML8GX3M2A1600C9: 8 gig is fine for this day and age and should be for the life of the system. If not still have 2 dimn slots to expand later. I think paying twice a much for slightly faster ram the money can be better spent elsewhere.

Speaker: Corsair - SP-2500: Having sound helps.

Monitor: ASUS - PA238Q: Honestly Would have liked a bigger monitor or two monitor system, but I decided keyboard / mouse and speakers are also vital to a computer system. The monitor I still does 1080, Display port, good colour representation, and USB hub and card reader also a nice addition.

CPU: Intel - BX80646I54670K: Was thinking the i7 to begin with, but had to drop it down to the i5. Even now for a gaming system you would struggle to max out and i7 cores. K version for the overclocking for you are so inclined.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  2. smork

smork I'm Batman

[​IMG]

Case - Corsair - CC750D - Looks nice and clean, simplistic.
    CPU - Intel - BX80646I74770 - A high performance system needs a kick ass CPU.
    Motherboard - ASUS - MAXIMUS VI EXTREME - Built for overclocking.
    Power Supply - Corsair - CMPSU-RM850 - Quiet and powerful.
    RAM - Corsair - CMY16GX3M2A1600C9 - Can be overclocked (although I wouldn't) which matches the system and matches the look of the system.
    SSD - Corsair - CSSD-F240GBLS - 240GB is needed because there's no second HDD as well as it's speed.
    Graphics Card - ASUS - R9280X-DC2-3GD5 - 3GB GDDR5, quiet and powerful.
    Monitor - ASUS - VS278Q - 27" is the minimum and this is fast for gaming with 1ms response times.

Overall I went for 3 things; performance, quiet and looks kick ass.

3. ac87

ac87 Member

Thanks to Scorptec for the comp:thumbup:
    Concept:
    Small computer footprint with big gaming potential and OC (This is OCAU yes?)

Click to view full size!

Parts:
    CPU: i5 4670K. No brainer really. Cheap with great OC under water.
    COOLER: H100i. The key to making the CPU sing at a minimum of 4.2Ghz.
    MB: Z87 chipset to enable the OC. All the necessary stuff without the extras.
    RAM: Gold RAM baby!! Also matches the gold theme on the MB.
    SSD: 240GB Intel SSD. Having NAND chips from one of the largest manufacturers of computer chips ensures product firmware updates to come. Enough for Windows and games.
    GRAPHICS: With the great ASUS Direct CU II Cooler you can also OC the graphics card potentially getting close to the more dearer GTX 780.
    PSU: Never Ever Skimp on this part! 760W Watts of certified platinum juice for this rig. Allows it to run stable and cool.
    CASE: Corsair 350D with window. The little case that can pack a big punch. Window edition to allow you to admire your rig inside.
    MONITOR: 24in, Full HD and 2ms. Great balance between pixel density and screen size.
    FANS: Quiet ones from Corsair so the computer doesn't sound like a jet taking off; LED because you have a windowed case; White LED because this is not 2004.

4. SkyJoggeR

SkyJoggeR Member

Click to view full size!

built for Gaming will smash all games from now until some thing amazingly awesome changes in gaming.

CPU - more than fast enough to handle any game you throw at it
    RAM - 16GB seems like a good number to make it keep up with anything for a while to come yet
    SSD - 128GB should be enough to hold the OS and games required and provide good loading times
    Video Card - R9 280X will handle anything you throw at it so 2 will kick everything's arse :D
    MOBO - does everything needed and the black and red looks cool (i spend all day with my mobo out showing it off im that cool :D)
    CASE - Cheap, looks nice saves money for more important things like video cards :thumbup:
    PSU- 750W will be enough
    Monitor - 24inch fits on my desk and 2ms response is good
    water cooling - hey i could spend more money and water cool is the bomb

5. magicase

magicase Member

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This system is intended to play games competitively (BF4/COD etc)

Case is nice and simple. Good looks and good cable management.
    The MB to fit into a MATX case
    The CPU is for games that can use all 8 threads like BF4
    16GB game to have no pagefile and use it all in gaming with no memory issues.
    120GB intel SSD to have fast load times
    144Hz monitor to have the edge in competitive gaming. No lag.
    280x CF to render enough fps to use the 144Hz screen at it's stated refresh rate and potential.
    750w psu to allow enough power for a i7/CF setup.

6. Gooliez

Gooliez Member

My Entry

Click to view full size!

CPU - I5 4670k
    Good overclocker, reasonable price before jumping ridiculous amounts to gain little performance.

MB - Asus Gryphon Z87
    Comes Packed with features, mainly after the 2X PCI-E 3.0 for maximum speed to go with the 280X's ( crossfire ). SATA III to support to full speed of the SSD, USB3 to support the front panel of the Case.

RAM - Corsair Vengance Pro
    nice Ram at affordable price, Good Headspreader which is the main reason as this system will pump out the heat.

GPU - 2x Asus R9 280X V2
    Better performance at a cheaper price going crossfire, these have additional cooling at their disposal and quieter.

SSD - Intel 240gb
    Sata III, Rated high by magazines for performance.

PSU - Corsair 750w
    750w to support the 2 video cards, 4x PCI-E plugs. Modular for that nice clean system

CASE - Corsair 330R
    Sexy, Neat & Grown up looking, exactly what a computer with grunt needs.
    Great cable Management, Dust Filters, Room for H100, Dedicated SSD slots, USB 3 plugs at front, Noise Dampening, All Black Interior,

DVD - Asus, Cant install an OS without it. unless microsoft is sending out USB sticks now. lol

MONITOR - Asus 23.6"
    2ms Response for gaming,FULL HD, DVI/HDMI for variety, VESA mount for my wall. LED & Energy Saving ( which is a big one for me )

COOLING
    H100i - CPU is going to be hit with ALOT of heat from the video cards, get the best cooling you can without going a full Watercooling setup. High Performance at a great price.

Corsair SP120 - 4x High performance fans to replace the 2 Hydro series fans, and 2 front case fans. get some GOOD airflow happening.

SOUND - Corsair Raptor HS30
    sexy looking gaming headhpones, Noise Cancelling. 3.5mm jack ( better compatibility)

Thanks to Asus, Corsair, Intel & Scorptec !!!! ( in Alphabetical order)

I thought this competition was going to be Easy, but you can easily create a VERY high end system with only a few brands and blow the budget. drop a couple of excessive choices and you have something that will be pushing the limit of machines for quite some time !

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  7. eukaryote:)

eukaryote:) Member

Click to view full size!

CPU: I7 4770k is an excellent value CPU. Quad core, HT -8 Core at 3.5ghz makes it very powerful for both gaming and video rendering, which I do both of a lot. Because it can overclock fairly often to 4.2ghz, I elected to choose the K version and try overclock it as much as I can while maintaining safe voltages and temperatures.

Cooling: Because the CPU will get hot from overclocking, a regular CPU cooler from package will not do. I’ve elected for the Corsair CWCH75. A good watercooling kit in a small unobtrusive package. Keep temperatures down while when cpu not on load being silent.

Motherboard: Asus Z87 Plus. I want to overclock the CPU. I need a motherboard with good set of features and hardware that can enable stable voltages. Asus are known to be at the forefront in this regard, so I’ve elected for the Plus motherboard which has the feature sets I’d need.

Power Supply: I’ve used corsair PSUs extensively, and they’ve never let me down. Good stable voltages to help with overclocking. I’ve chosen the 650TX because of its proven track record in reviews and online forum comments.

Ram: 16gb is good for everyday use and needed for video rendering at a minimum. I’ve elected for 16GB of corsair 1600mhz ram. Fast enough (with what I do, faster ram is not going to yield much performance increase, so I’ve elected to spend more on the CPU and GPU), and knowing corsair, it’s going to be reliable.

HD – Intel 240GB 520 series. I’ve used intel SSDs in the past, and they are very reliable. With their custom firmware over usual controllers, they’ve ensured they have both reliability and speed in check. I need this reliability and speed for both rendering and game play, so have elected to get the fastest intel drive I can get my hands on. 240GB ensures all games and software will fit onto the drive.

Video Card – AMD 290. Arguably best value video card on the market right now. Pumping out massive amounts of FPS for the price, and at the same time a rendering powerhouse with nearly 5 teraflops of performance. Fits what I need to do perfectly and within budget.

Case – I’ve seen the 540R in person, and it is a beautiful case. Built very well, and with a lot of airflow, means that heat coming from components can be removed rapidly to ensure the system doesn’t throttle itself. Window in side panel will mean I can admire the work of art.

Screen – Asus MX279H – Looks like a stunning screen aesthetically, and is IPS which is a requirement for video and photo editing, which I do a lot of. Will ensure also my games look picture perfect.

8. BuZeR

BuZeR Member

[​IMG]

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K
    Is there any question? 2011 socket was always an option. But based on the budget a better bang for buck would be with the 4670, and the K version for the Overclocking power!

Mobo: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87
    Seeing as I am located in North Qld, the two major problems up here with PC’s in my experience are Heat and Dust. The heat is an obvious one, but due to our high humidity computer components that are not cleaned regularly come into either performance issues - Ending potentially in complete hardware failure. That being said the SABERTOOTH Z87 offers “Thermal Armor” that is not only there to maximize airflow, but also keeps dust and other particles out of empty component slots and the board in general. Asus also offer the full range of their overclocking software and back this board with a 5 year standard warranty.

GFX: ASUS GeForce GTX780 DirectCU II, 3GB
    A monstrous GTX780 would fit perfectly with this setup. With 3Gig of384-bit 1502Mhz GDDR5 with a GPU clock of up to 941Mhz, why wouldn’t you? Also leaves the potential for another GTX780 for a future SLI upgrade.

RAM: Corsair CML16GX3M4X1600C8 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz DDR
    Offer wonderful clock speeds by default for the day-to-day user. Also possess extremely potent overclocking prowess for those more inclined, also includes a lifetime warranty.

HDD: Corsair Neutron 128GB SSD
    This SSD transfers at slight lower speeds then the 120GB version but only a slight trade off for slightly more space and cheaper price, is also covered by a 5 Year warranty. Ideally I would also put another 1 or 2 platter HDD’s in the system for storage. However due to limitation on brand this is impossible.

Optical: ASUS DRW-24D3ST Black SATA DVD Burner
    Called me old fashioned, but I still feel the need to have come sort of CD/DVDROM. As such this Asus DVD burner is both cheap and reliable.

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Black ATX Case, Side Window, No PSU
    The Corsair C70 offers 8 expansion slots with 5 2.5”/3.5” for bulk HDDs, good cable management option, and excellent visuals. Also priced well to allow more money on that all-important GPU!

PSU: Corsair RM Series 750W Power Supply
    Most people say the Motherboard is the heart of any build, but I would argue that it is the PSU. It is vital to have a reliable, generous PSU that will allow for SLI/Crossfire as required, Modular cables to allow better ventilation and airflow to components, and a robust warranty. This Corsair RM Series has all of these features and then some.

Monitor: ASUS VK248H 24inch LED Monitor
    A respectable 24” screen, a lightning 2ms (Grey to Grey) response time and a native resolution of 1920x1080 for a very respectable price.

CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H60 Second Edition
    No point getting a K series if you can’t handle the temps! Is also compatible with the case, which helps.

Total: $2493.00

9. Commie_Mike

Commie_Mike Member

[​IMG]

Case& PSU: Case is a quiet model which I rate more highly than shiny LEDs and the PSU will provide plenty of power if the system were to be upgraded to dual GPU later in its life.

RAM: I went for 2 x 8 gb rather than 4 x 4 gb as I've had RAM slots on motherboards die before, as in the RAM stick itself is fine but one particular slot on the mobo stops working (weird i know but it's happened twice now). Also while I doubt it'd ever need more than 16gb RAM the upgrade potential is always a plus.

CPU - i54670k: I see a lot of perple go the i7 over the i5. you wont see the difference in gaming and you're saving $100. The unlocked version for OCing obviously.

Corsair cooler: the intel HSFs are absolute rubbish. $100 self-contained, easy to install and easy to set up water cooling? sold.

GPU - GTX770: It's spot on for price/performance IMO.

Mobo: again price/features. has the expansion slots needed for the set-up with possibility for dual GPU upgrade later on. also, dem heatsinks :F

Soundcard: Probably the most underrated aspect of any system. I'd be using this also as a media centre so the 7.1 surround is ideal. Asus Xonar is easily one of the best audio options available.

HDD: Corsair SSD, 240 gb should be enough for OS and any games I'm currently playing.

Monitor: 1 ms response time, 1080p, good price, what more could you want?

Keyboard: mechanical keyboards are amazing and i absolutely love the look of Corsairs TKL keyboards. the linear switches have a very nice feel to them.

Mouse: hey look, corsair make gaming mice!

10. Sabien

Sabien Member

Click to view full size!

A Compact Powerhouse.

Corsair CC350D-W - Great looking case by corsair with plenty of room for a powerful Micro ATX build internal water cooling

Corsair CMPSU - 650HXv2 - Plenty of power to run this little power house

ASUS - MX239H - Very stylish frameless looking monitor with integrated speakers

ASUS - GTX780 - Powerful graphics right at home in this powerful little system

Intel 4770k - Stock high clocking and unlocked for potential overclocking (lets face it that is why we are here which leads me to ...)

ASUS - Maximus VI Gene - Brilliant Micro ATX ROG motherboard with all the bells and whistles

Corsair - CML16G - 16gb of Corsair quality ram. Nothing more that say.

Corsair 240gb SSD - Fast affordable SSD. Bang for buck.

11. Skidd

Skidd Member

Hi Guys

Below is my build of choice
    [​IMG]

Premise of the system: This system was built with one thing in mind, gaming the next gen at 1440p. Who needs consoles when you can have one of these to run everything at MAX at a nice crisp 1440p resolution and all the while looking good on both the inside and out.

Details:

Motherboard: I chose this board for its perfect mix of features and expandability support, the perfect base that allows you to grow into. Asus knows their stuff when it comes to what the enthusiasts want!

CPU: Bang for buck here, the i5-4670k has the basics covered and solid performer with plenty of overclocking potential. I cannot recommend this more.

Case: Had to go for the Graphite series in the silver, this case always stands out with its excellent cooling options and style to boot. Perfect to house and keep safe your most cherished components.

SSD: No enthusiast system can go without some raw SSD power. Start with the 120GB drive and add more if needed. Perfect if you are after quick load times.

PSU: I went with a 750w unit capable of supporting a 2 card SLI setup further down the track. 80% efficiency is a must to keep those voltages and power bills in check. Also modular, only use what's needed to keep the system nice and tidy.

Monitor: The face of the machine, responsible for representing all the hard work being done under the hood in glorious colours and crisp 1440p. What more could you ask for this perfect combination of features from the Asus PB278Q

Graphics Card: The GTX 770 is a good starter card, not far behind its bigger brothers but a good chunk ahead of the previous generations top models. Need more power? Add another one effortlessly at a later stage and thanks to the advanced cooler Asus stuck on these you could afford a bit of a overclock without worrying about heat issues while you at it.

CPU Cooler: Water cooling is the go to option for keeping your PC cool and quiet, this all in one unit by Corsair gives you all the benefits of water cooling with non of the fuss of building your own loop. A must have for any gaming machine.

Memory: 8GB to start, more than enough for the hungriest of games and applications, still leaves you with 2 slots to double it if you want. These Vengeance units are some of the fastest on the market, you cannot go wrong and even better it matches the whole colour scheme of the rest of the components!

12. zeeps

zeeps Member

The PC Build I have made is designed for Mining Bitcoins/Litecoins

1. Motherboard
    This mobo supports 3 pcie cards

2. Monitor
    Only need a small display

3. CPU
    Don't need much horsepower cpuwise so the G series will suffice.

4. GPU
    Chose 3x 280x's as they are the most efficient at mining

5.Case
    This is a good case that will fit all components and have high airflow.

6. PSU
    This PSU will be able to run all 3 gpus

7. SSD
    Only need minimal software so a 128GB ssd will do.

Choose this system as everyone already knows how to make a gaming build. This system will let you capitalize on the virtual currency craze/boom.

Click to view full size!

13. bender009

bender009 Member

IMO a PC build is never complete, which is what makes them great to have, there's always something new to add to your system to upgrade or tweak to get the performance and features you want.

So i have chosen the bare minimum to get you going, but something that will last potentially for up to 5 years... with a few upgrades here and there.

[​IMG]

You have to start somewhere and a good foundation is what you need. The asus motherboard is a great board with lots of upgrade potential. Raid, SLI/Xfire, quad DDR3 and lots of overclocking potential.

Ram is something that is having a much lower impact on performance as the technology improves and the gap between high performance and mid range decreases. So a decent set of 16GB 1600MHz ram is perfectly adequate for now. Ram is one of the easiest components to upgrade in your system, so buying for what you need now is the deciding factor.

Many people dont really think about the PSU, however it is core to the system for both stability and energy efficiency. Get a good PSU once and it will serve you for the life of the system and probably the next one too. These days PC's spend more time idle or web browsing, or word processing than gaming, using very little power. So you don't want a cheap or even average PSU only giving you 82% efficiency, but a quality unit with 92% efficiency at idle and 90% at full load. The savings in power ultimately pay for the extra cost of the PSU itself, while being better for the environment, and much more stable for better overclocking. The 850 watts also allows for either a huge number of peripherals or SLI/Xfire potential.

An SSD is a core performance component that keeps the system running fast and responsive. Storage size is their main problem, however, what many people do not know is that you can use symbolic links to manage what is stored on your SSD and what is stored on your HDD. All while making everything appear to your system as if its on your SSD (or on the C drive). Because of this you really only need a 120GB SSD, comprising of the OS with a few core apps and maybe a few of your most played games and you will still have room to spare.

The case is what makes a PC look great, but looks aren't everything, you want functionality and practicality to make installation as well as upgrading easy. Cable management and tidiness does wonders for those of us who have OCD tendencies, but also makes the system look stunning. This case does the job, and does it well.

Monitors these days are getting better and better with the colour difference between high end and low end getting smaller and smaller. A high end screen is becoming harder to justify under any budget. In this case with IPS screen technology, USB3 hub, 6ms response time and 80M:1 contrast ratio this monitor is hard to beat.

Due to the multiple cores CPU's provide, most games barely take full advantage of their CPU's potential, instead being bottle necked on the GPU side. Furthermore with parallel processing taking increasingly more advantage of the GPU the limelight of the CPU is coming to and end. To this end it is unnecessary to get the best CPU money can buy, but merely something that is a little future proof. By the time you need to upgrade your CPU the socket will likely have changed, hence you will need a new motherboard and it will probably be time to just get a new system anyway. So buy the CPU to last the entire life of the system. The CPU chosen will do that while offering room for plenty overclocking potential to eek that bit more life out at then end.

The GPU. The most powerful processing unit in your system and the primary factor for performance in games. However next to ram it is the easiest component in the system to upgrade. So rather than spending HUGE to get the latest and best, your better off buying the latest step down from the top performer and saving money. Then each year upgrade, selling your old card. A year later when you would still have the high end card you can have the next gen card with potentially more performance for the same total cost. Alternatively you can add another card in for SLI/Xfire once the next gen cards are out and the previous gen has dropped in price. As to green or red? I have chosen red due to the Mantle API the red team are releasing soon. You should see some HUGE improvements in game performance. It may eventually reach the green team, but currently, its only the red team and that to me makes them the top all round performers. Another advantage of upgrading once a year is that you can choose the best out of the green or red team.

Last but not least CPU cooling. Water cooling is becoming a significantly more viable approach as the pre-built water cooling systems demonstrate. This unit provides cooling performance on par with some of the best air cool solutions.

14. Murmur_X

Murmur_X Member

I like to call this entry "The Genie" - tremendous power, teeny tiny living space!
    [​IMG]

Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D - Attractive, small yet spacious, cool and quiet.
    Motherboard: ASUS - Z87M-PLUS - Well featured, supports dual PCI-E 16x cards in a small footprint. Stable, powerful and capable at stock and overclocked.
    Power supply: Corsair - CMPSU-750TXM - Modular (needs to be in the small case), powerful enough to support both the dual graphics cards and the CPU, even when overclocked. Also has enough PCI-E power connectors to run this beast!
    CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K - The i5-4670k is close enough to the i7-4770k in most things, can be overclocked to some great speeds, and offers fantastic value for money.
    Monitor: ASUS - MX239H - The ideal home for this PC is centre of the entertainment hub of the house, the living room, so most of the play time will be on the big screen. For those times where you're fighting over who gets to use the TV, this is the compromise - small, sharp, sleek and unobtrusive, does not look out of place in any living room, and allows you to compromise and still get to see "The Genie" grant your wishes.
    Graphics: 2 x ASUS Radeon R9 290 - That's right, 2 R9 290 cards. This will drive that 4k TV you have been begging Santa to bring you for Christmas. Incredibly powerful cards, which in crossfire should be able to run almost anything smoothly, even at the highest resolution.
    RAM: Corsair 16GB (2x8GB), PC3-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3 ValueSelect - Because 8Gb won't always be enough. Reliable RAM offering great value at a low price.
    SSD: Corsair 240GB SSD, Force Series LS - Got to have something to store those games on, and this SSD means low noise, low power and low loading times for those levels. Because a genie doesn't make you wait.

Please Scorptec, Intel, Corsair and Asus, make my wish come true!!

15. Sebstar

Sebstar Member

I actually didn't see if anyone built something similar (they probably have since first in best dressed) but I thought this was a pretty neat system.

[​IMG]

16. pugsley

pugsley Member

My entry!

I'm naming it The Viper. As it's a smaller form factor than most gaming rigs but still packs a real punch that keeps up with the big boys. I chose a smaller platform as i believe there is no real need to have a huge machine taking up space, when a smaller machine will do exactly the same job.
    I also wanted the machine to have an upgrade path for the future, which is why i chose micro-ITX over mini-ITX. It leaves the option for doubling the ram at a later date as well as the addition of a second GPU for SLI/Crossfire. Mini-ITX wouldn't have allowed that expansion.

The Parts

Case
    I chose the Corsair Obsidian 350D. It ticks all the boxes that one looks for when looking for a home for a performance machine, plenty of cooling options, enough room for larger parts but still holding a smaller footprint than traditional towers. Plus the case itself looks pretty smick :leet:

Motherboard
    There wasn't really a choice, i knew exactly what board i wanted before i even clicked on the mobo category. The Asus Maximus VI Gene is the epitome of what small form factors should aspire to. It has all the features you would expect from a full size ATX board in a more compact design. It's only drawback is it doesnt have wireless, but that can easily be fixed with a PCI, USB or M-PCIE card. (Which i'm sure i have one of lying around here somewhere)

CPU
    I went with an i5 4670K. As others have stated, hyperthreading isnt a necessity, and can be troublesome when it comes to gaming. The 4670K hits a nice balance between performance and price.

Memory
    16gb of Corsair vengence DDR3. Corsair have been my go to ram ever since OCZ Ram disappeared off the face of the planet, and i have not been disappointed. The 2 8gig sticks give plenty of room to play but still leaves another 2 slots open for future expansion.

Graphics
    I'm no a fanboy, i go where the best bang for buck is. And the R9 290 is what i like. The price is higher end, but performance wise it's up there with the best.
    Asus give us plenty of options in the GPU market, so this one too a bit of thinking to come to a conclusion. But i believe i have made the right choice.

Storage
    Some SSD love. Two 240GB SSD's. Fast read/write speeds and the price isnt so bad either. With enough room to stick your OS and windows related programs on one, it leaves the second drive purely for gaming. If you have not loaded bf4 on an ssd before, you're missing the first 20 seconds of a match :p

Power
    Again the choice was fairly easy, Corsiar PSUs are excellent. I have never had any problems with them. I chose this particular model based off the reviews i read in my research. It will power this machine with ease, and will handle future updates as well.

Cooling
    I haven't used a stock cooler in a long time, I am sure they do just fine but i like the piece of mind knowing that my machine is running cooler than what it would be normally. Which is why i went with a Corsair H100i. I had a H100 in an old build and it handled the Rockhampton summer admirably. Gaming in summer put more stress on me than it did my pc thanks to that cooler. So i have no issues with putting one in this machine :)

[​IMG]

17. haza

haza Member

Here is my entry!

Click to view full size!

This is a gaming and general use PC. Emphasis on value and something that will last you a long time into the future. A little money left over for shipping or a new mouse if you need it.

CPU + MOBO - The best CPU on the market and a very good mobo without spending mega bucks. Should give you upgrade opportunities in the future and good overclocking.

Graphics Card - Probably the best value card on the market. Will give you 60 fps in every game out there.

RAM - Reliable, fast, and good value. 16GB should be enough for a long time.

CASE - Looks good, has good reviews.

SSD - Intel is fast and reliable. Bigger would be better but budget won't allow it.

PSU - Enough capacity, quiet and cool. Modular is a must.

MONITOR - IPS panel with 1200 vertical resolution. It doesn't look like much of a difference, but 1200 is so much better than 1080. It makes a big difference.

18. elecxonica

elecxonica New Member

This is my system. It is called the Raven Knight, and is designed with video editing and gaming in mind, as well as a Black with Blue accents color scheme.

[​IMG]

CASE: I chose the Corsair 750D for several reasons. For what it is, it's rather cheap. It has a nice large Window on the side of it, and it has a rather nice brushed aluminium looking front, which is plastic, unlike cases from other manufacturers which use aluminium, and doesn't stain.

CPU: I chose the Intel Core i7 4820K for a couple of reasons. The first is that it's an LGA 2011 CPU, so it has a ton of performance. it's also an i7, which means it's hyper threaded and as such it is effectively an 8 core CPU, which is useful as Premiere and After Effects love multiple cores. Finally, since it's a K series CPU it can overclock with relative ease.

MOTHERBOARD: This system features the ASUS P9X79 LE which is a relatively inexpensive Intel LGA 2011 Motherboard, but has a ton of IO, PCI-E slots and features like Fan Expert which removes the need for a fan controller.

GPU: When choosing a GPU for this system, i chose the GTX 770 DirectCU II edition. While this is a beast of a GPU for gaming, the main reason i chose it is the fact that is has 1536 CUDA cores for adobe Premiere to render with, allowing much faster exporting. it also has a ton of outputs, easily allowing for multi monitor setups for video production.

SSD: The SSD in this build is a Corsair Force series LS 240 GB drive, which means that the boot time swill be fast, games will load in a fraction of the time that is required for normal hard drives and it looks really good to boot.

RAM: The RAM for this build is the Corsair Vengeance LP 16 GB quad channel kit. The main reason i chose this, other then the really nice looks, is the fact that it is a fairly large amount of RAM for Premiere and After Effects. It also looks very nice.

POWER SUPPLY: The power supply i chose for this system is the Corsair CX750M, which is a really nice semi modular PSU. it will be able to run the components in this rig and then some, meaning it's rather future proofed, and it means the rig can stay relatively clean inside due to the modular cables.

CPU COOLER: The CPU Cooler for this rig is the Corsair H100i closed loop cooler. this is rather nice as combined with the K series CPU, the system will have no problem with overclocking due to heat. it also means the system will stay rather quiet when combined with Fan Expert, and the Corsair Fans. Finally, the entire cooler can be wired into the system's internal USB headers for Corsair Link which allows control over the loop through software in windows.

ADDITIONAL COOLING While the case and cooler both include fans, I decided to add three additional fans to the system to go in the rear exhaust and on top of the Rad, and i chose the Corsair AS AF140 quiet edition with Blue LEDs, partly since it will stay relatively quiet under most load, and partly as Blue LEDs will match a lot of the other components in the system.

MONITOR: Finally, the monitor for this system is the Asus PA238Q Pro Art Monitor. this monitor has several features going for it. one is the built in card reader, a 2nd is the high adjustability with the included stand, and the third and main one is the fact that is highly color accurate, which is useful for editing video.

19. Nateid03

Nateid03 Member

This is a slightly different approach to a typical build found here - something for primarily CAD/Design with some gaming on the side. Have yet to find something that has focused on this and I constantly get asked what is best. Here goes...

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770
    The 4770 is a great bang-for-you-buck processor that will more than easily handle multiple processes and churn out high-quality renders in a blast - the bread and butter of any CAD workhorse.

Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H55 Quiet Liquid CPU Cooler
    Due to the constant stress applied to the CPU through renders and algorithms, it's a no-brainier to apply water cooling - also keeps the noise level down for more concentration...

Mobo: ASUS - H87M-PLUS
    A more than capable motherboard covering all the base requirements and allowing for mass expadability - when you need even more ram to chew through those monstrous photoshop files...

GFX: ASUS GeForce GTX760 DirectCU II, 2GB
    This is the sweet spot for price, thermal efficiency and quality of pixel-pushing. The addition of Nvidia's CUDA also gives a helping hand when using the numerous CAD suites available.

RAM: Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C9 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3
    Any graphic work requires as much ram as possible to keep things running along smoothly. This kit allows for an easily applied upgrade later down the road when required.

HDD: Corsair 240GB SSD, Force Series LS
    Offering more than enough space for the assortment of CAD programs required (and some games to boot) with headroom for the larger files being created.

Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540
    This is probably one of the coolest looking cases that have been released this year. Not going overboard with any grills or dust-catching mesh while providing a high level of airflow and ability to expand the system. You can either put it out of sight or show it off to the world - works in both instances.

PSU: Corsair 760W AX-760i Digital ATX Platinum Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS Platinum
    There is nothing worse than loosing anything you have poured hours into (gaming or work). With a platinum power rating, the Corsair 760W AX-760i is as safe as houses. The modular cabling is great for thermal efficiency and future upgrades too.

Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 27" 2560x1440
    If you're looking at something all day, it may as well be the best of the best.
    Sporting a super-high resolution and superb build quality, that extra screen real estate will quickly be appreciated

Total: $2497.00

Click to view full size!

20. kieranluken

kieranluken Member

[​IMG]

Here we are, my choices.

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R - Chosen because of its solid construction, with plenty of room to not only store all the pretty components, but also keep cables tidy and out of the way

CPU: I7-4770. Chosen because it has more than enough grunt to handle whatever is thrown at it by myself. No need for the K version given there is no need for overclocking

Graphics: Asus GTX770. nVidia has always proven itself more reliable in my experience, with the GTX770 being the sweet spot between performance and cost

SSD: Intel 240GB 335 Series SSD. Chosen because 240GB is normally enough to store, with the 335 series being quick and reliable enough for the money

RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator Ram - 16GB is normally enough at this point in time, with the Dominators being almost as reliable as it is possible to get

Motherboard: Asus Maximum VI Gene - Even though its mATX, it has plenty of features, with the 8 x SATAIII being the main prospect in this case. Heaps of room for expansion of storage.

Power Supply: Corsair 860W Platinum Modular Power Supply. 860W is plenty of juice to keep it running reliably, with a platinum level efficiency and modular cables that ill help keep this system nice and tidy.

Monitor: Asus 27" Full HD Display. 27" Is an awesome size to use for pretty well anything