[Scratch Build] - Anima Mundi Redux

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by endscape, Aug 28, 2008.

1. endscape

endscape Member

So I started building Anima Mundi, a mATX cube built almost entirely out of acrylic over a year ago (the old project log is here, pictures are down). Life got in the way, as did a all my acrylic breaking during the painting process.

Well I found a pile of acrylic that I had cut for my second attempt and decided to give it another go! This all took me about 3 hours start to finish, so I'm hoping to wrap the entire project up inside two weeks. Please forgive the pictures, they came off my HTC Mogul.

[​IMG]

New work bench I picked up from my neighbor for...NOTHING. Plus a whole pile of random acrylic pieces.

[​IMG]

Spare watercooling gear that's been kicking around. Some of it will be used in Anima Mundi.

[​IMG]

First cut completed. Drill press with a mill table and a bit from a Dremel. It's not the most...accurate...solution ever, but it does a damn good job considering the whole setup cost me less than $100.

[​IMG]

Radiators mounted. Because this will come up, a 2x120MM radiator wont fit, but 2 separate 120mm Black Ice pros fit just fine.

[​IMG]

From the back! Not a whole lot of extra space.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cut the PSU mount out. Combination of a circle cutter that will be pictured later and the earlier mentioned drill press + mill table + dremel bit combo.

[​IMG]

PSU mounted just to make sure everything fits. One screw hole is off, so I'm going to have to enlarge it slightly to make everything mesh.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The PSU is a bit on the heavy side, so I'm thinking it needs a support shelf or something, I'll work on that tomorrow. That's an old Antec True Blue 480 that will probably find a new home in Anima Mundi. If that's the case, each and every wire will be a custom run, so no extraneous wires.

[​IMG]

Yeah for circle cutters! Adding a 120MM exhaust fan to the rear panel.

[​IMG]

The completed back panel. I still need to countersink some screw holes and clean up the acrylic edges. There is a slim chance that I'll need to toss a couple more holes in there for the motherboard tray, but we'll get to that later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And that's all I got done for the night. Not bad for only a few hours haha.

[​IMG]

The results of the circle cutter. Will only need a bit of polishing, nothing major.

[​IMG]

Straight off the drill press + mill table + dremel bit combo. Needs a little filing and sanding, maybe some flame polishing, but I haven't decided on that.

[​IMG]

This is off the good side of the table saw, and will need the most work. Lots of filing to be done!

[​IMG]

From the motherboad side of things.

[​IMG]

Possible pump location. Assuming I add a support shelf for the PSU, I would just slap the pump on the bottom and call it a day.

To do for tomorrow:
    - Pick up some more 1/4 inch acrylic
    - Design and build the PSU support/ pump mount
    - Come up with some subtle lighting ideas
    - Design and build the HD mount (hoping to get three drives in there, but who knows)
    - Build the motherboard tray (I might need 1/2 inch acrylic, which would put a hink in things)

If I get all that done I will consider the day a success.

2. slamaa

slamaa Member

I remeber this project, was going so well, looking forward to see you re do it and complete it.

slamaa

3. Hooblah

Hooblah Member

Not bad at all, ill be watching this build

4. AussieJester

AussieJester Member

Plexi/clamps/set squares & you obviously know what your doing im subscribed...look forward to next update best of luck bud ;-)

5. OP
    OP
    endscape

endscape Member

Well, didn't get nearly what I wanted to done. One of my friends got engaged so we had a little party in his honor.

I did, however, get a fresh sheet of 1/4 inch plexi and ordered the 1/2 inch stuff that I needed. I also got the hard drive rack roughed out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 1/2 inch acrylic wont get into town until next Thursday :)mad:) so there isn't a whole lot more groundbreaking stuff for me to do until then. I'll probably start on the lighting tomorrow, as well as the case feet. I need to start planning the PSU wiring as well.

6. OP
    OP
    endscape

endscape Member

Yeah, it was going great up until the point where everything, you know, BROKE! Haha, that was a sad day, but I like this model WAY better anyway.

Know what I'm doing? Psh, I wish! I'm just learning as I go haha.

7. AussieJester

AussieJester Member

condolences to your mate the poor "bastid'' hehe..if he wants to continuing sexing his now fiance tellz him to make it a looooong engagement because soon as she says 'I do' the sexin comes to an abrupt halt :p

Seems to be coming along well thus far mate and shhhh don't let on you don't have a clue what your doing coz your carrying off a look of professionalism thus far hehehe..

best of luck ..

8. strafe

strafe Member

Just the right size for a cube case, look forward to seeing how it turns out :D.

9. OP
    OP
    endscape

endscape Member

Well when I was going out with her, she's the only women I've ever met with a stronger sex drive than me, so I don't think that'll be much of a problem haha.

mATX motherboard, 3 hard drives, 2 x 120mm radiators, and an ATX PSU all inside less than 1 cubic foot. Yeah, I'm happy with it.

I'm currently trying to figure out what I can do before my 1/2 inch acrylic gets in. I dont like to skip stages or steps, so I dont want to start lighting or finishing the pieces (edge polishing, counter sinking holes, what have you) until I get the structure completed, so I dont have a whole lot to do until Thursday rolls around. I'll have pictures of the case feet as well as more work on the HD rack by end of day today.

10. AussieJester

AussieJester Member

oooh it will i can assure you of that

11. Rangeman0

Rangeman0 Member

nice work so far dude, looks like its coming along fairly fast.

i'll be interested to see it progress *subscribed*

btw, where did you manage to pick up a mill table? im interested to try and find one as i already have a drill press and dremmel bits..

12. fnp

fnp Member

Nice work mate, looks good. You certainly work faster then me, lol.

13. OP
    OP
    endscape

endscape Member

Hence why they are getting married and I'm staying single until the next ice age.

It's cooking right along, though I'm stalled until Thursday rolls around and I get more of my supplies.

I got the mill table at Grizzly Imports, which is completely not helpful to you as it's in the states and I have no idea if they ship overseas. There has to be somewhere around you to pick one up, specialty hardware shops or something. They really are amazing, even if you dont do any "milling" like I do (which isn't good for the drill press, so be careful).

Well, I dont really sleep, so I have lots of time to work haha.

14. AussieJester

AussieJester Member

If you cant find a mill table an 'x' and 'y' axis drill press vice might be of use, Bunnings sell them I picked one up off ebay few years back cheap also...unfortunately it didn't fit under my press was lil too big so i re-sold it on ebay...

Marriage...yes been there done that didnt like it wont be doing it again hahaha

15. Rangeman0

Rangeman0 Member

Hmm, cheers.. i'll have to have a look around then i suppose, and the vice from bunnings sounds like it might do the trick.

thanks mate, keep the worklog coming!

16. OP
    OP
    endscape

endscape Member

[​IMG]

First up NEW TOY! My neighbor is an 85 year old man who never works in his shop anymore and is slowly giving away all his tools. He gave me that little work bench I posted earlier for nothing. I went over to mow his yard for him (its small and I was doing mine anyway), and he came out and said he had a couple tools that he wants out of his shop. The drill press just happened to be one of them. The best part, it was free. 3/4 HP Grizzly. Almost brand new.

[​IMG]

I decided that I wanted to screw this thing together instead of gluing it, mostly because I hate plexi glue, but that's besides the point. Sorry about the pictures, for whatever reason they didn't come out very sharp at all. This is the non motherboard tray side of things.

[​IMG]

That would be the 1/2 inch acrylic I've been waiting for. This is the motherboard tray side of the case. I had to remove the paper to get everything lined up right. It's now covered in masking tape to keep it scratch free.

[​IMG]

The new front view. Note the lack of clamps holding things together.

[​IMG]

Motherboard side with some of the internals shoved back in. I ran into a little problem with the hard drive rack, I'll detail that tomorrow when I post my solution.

[​IMG]

Rear motherboard side corner. Not really that interesting...

[​IMG]

The back end, only thing new is the 3 screws on the left and the two on the right.

[​IMG]

The removable side of things. I didn't measure two of the hole locations right, so I either have to fix the bottom left and top right holes or cut a new side panel.

[​IMG]

Front left corner!

[​IMG]

The sort of completed feet. Those aren't the final bolts, and they still need to be lit and the aluminum painted, but that's the general idea. 1/16 inch aluminum, two pieces of 3/16 acrylic, and another piece of aluminum all turned and smoothed on the drill press.

[​IMG]

The PSU support. Note the hole in the middle that I screwed up. It cracked the acrylic, so when I go to do the polishing I'm going to fill it. The cloudy section has been cut down about 1/16 of an inch to allow for any fan grills that the PSU might have. I'm not quite done with the PSU support bracket, but I'll post about that tomorrow.

[​IMG]

PSU bracket mounted in the case

[​IMG]

Another angle

[​IMG]

From the motherboard side of things before I taped up the MB tray.

So 99% of the structural stuff is done. I just have a few more odds and ends to tie up before I start the lighting. After lighting comes edge cleanup and hole countersinking (only a few holes need it), then comes paint and *secret step to be named later*.

17. ford ftw

ford ftw Member

This is looking great I would like to make a case from scratch one day.

18. OP
    OP
    endscape

endscape Member

DO IT! It's not nearly as hard as some people seem to think. It actually frees you from the constraints of someone elses design. Of course, the little details will drive you mad, so it helps to have a weak to nonexistent grip on your sanity before you start something like this.

Updates coming this weekend. I'm changing the location of the pump, so I'm remaking the hard drive rack to handle four hard drives (mostly because I have 4 320GB drives kicking around, imagine that!). It's also going to be mostly aluminum I think.

19. Meddish

Meddish Member

the hardest part of a scratch build, is things CHANGE as u build... i dont care if u spend 6 months planing in CAD software before hand SOMETHING wont work, and will be changed.... thats the worst part of scratch builds....

20. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

Or, being optimistic, the most fun part... in any mod something won't work and you will have to find a way to alter/fix it. That's half the fun, though, isn't it?

--
    Nathan