Screen Tearing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by SimpleJoe, Sep 13, 2017.

1. SimpleJoe

SimpleJoe New Member

I have had no end of problems with what i assume are graphics card issues, i bought a windforce OC R9 290 (non-x) 3 years ago when i first built my computer and after roughly a year and a half i sent it to be RMA'd because of massive artifacting while hot (basically from a cold start i would get 5 minutes before it would start playing up and when hot i wouldn't be able to reach the windows logon screen). Gigabyte apparently found nothing wrong with the card but they offered me a replacement for the cost of shipping and offered me a 2 month warranty (the card they sent back was actually a 290x so i didn't mind the extra price). But now the card has started to play up as well, ranging from flickers every couple of seconds (video below) to full lock ups that require a restart. the problem is very intermittent and inconsistent. Sometimes i am able to play AAA titles for 4 hours and not get anything but other times i can just have word and a couple of chrome tabs open and go into full meltdown.

Has anyone experienced anything like this, is this a GC problem or should i be looking elsewhere?

also I am using Radeon Software Version: 17.7.2

Video:

EDIT: The video link above is not working for me so the vimeo link is: https://vimeo.com/233588437

2. Benergy

Benergy New Member

Good evening, SimpleJoe.

What temperature is your graphics card typically idling at? What about temps under load? It looks like a hardware issue rather than anything driver/software related.

Have you tried a different display cable and monitor? Perhaps a TV?

I've seen a few mid range and high range Radeon 200 series cards with silly issues similar to this.

Does your computer suffer from application crashes or blue screens of death? What is the output rating of your power supply?

Ben

3. havabeer

havabeer Member

have you got on board graphics? any chance of just using this for a few days (i know you wont be able to game) but if everything is steady sailing on the onboard graphics at least its fairly easy to assume the GPU is starting to go cactus again.

4. OP
    OP
    SimpleJoe

SimpleJoe New Member

Ok, so i tried updating to the latest beta drivers as per a different forum, but after 3 hours in a pretty intense scene it locked up again. After that the crashes became more frequent (i could only just get past the main menu of the game) and someone suggested that i up the core voltage but that didn't help. i tried both using the onboard output both with and with the GC physically installed and that resulted in crashes that looked like old school analog tv static. After that i took it to a local computer guy and he ran tests on all the hardware and couldn't find a problem and suggested that i rollback the drivers. while the rollback did help a little after i close out the game there is still a little flickering for a couple of minutes but no crash. Also while in a game it sometimes will freeze and crash the game but the PC stays responsive and no BSOD.

my GC idles at 40-45 degrees (ambient is like 30) and gets up to about 70-80 under load, i have tried both a different cable and monitor/tv with no success and i have a v750 power supply

Cheers,
    Joe

5. Benergy

Benergy New Member

Good Morning, SimpleJoe.

Did the local computer shop mention what hardware was tested when they "ran tests on all the hardware"? That'll help narrow things down.

You can get a reasonably accurate bootable memtest86 result within an hour or two of it running passes. It takes a few minutes to check a power supply with a tester. I'm not certain if this reflects PSU stability testing under load. Maybe enter your full hardware details into the Outervision PSU calculator to confirm you're supplying your hardware with enough juice. I assume all of the required PCI-E power cables are installed into your graphics card.

Your temps don't look to be a problem so I imagine your graphics card heatsink is still making good contact with the GPU and VRAM.

Depending on the version of Windows you're running, you might be able to disable Windows Aero (Windows 7) to see if the desktop still artifacts - confirming it's definitely a Direct3D issue.

Ben

6. OP
    OP
    SimpleJoe

SimpleJoe New Member

They ran Furmark, unigine heaven, Prime95 and Memtest86 so they tested all of the hardware and found nothing wrong. I have also previously checked the PSU (The site you linked recommended ~600 watts and it's a 750w PSU so that's also fine)

7. Benergy

Benergy New Member

If they've in fact thoroughly tested your hardware, that points towards the issue being with you monitor/peripherals that you plug in at home or something environmental (e.g mains power/ambient temp/electromagnetic interference) at home causing the issue.

What have you typically got plugged into your computer? Can you take your computer to a friend or family member's house to test it elsewhere?

Unusual indeed :Paranoid:

Ben

8. FOTW

FOTW Member

So your getting artifact with only using the on board graphics as well?

Have you tried another graphics card

It could be your monitor or leads, I assume at this PC guy he would have used his own screen. Try connecting it via HDMI to your TV.

Also poorly grounded power sockets can cause electrical interference, if there is a small leakage and PC isn't grounded correctly this static can build up over time causing interference.

9. havabeer

havabeer Member

if its also doing with with onboard graphics i'd say the mobo is cactus

10. FOTW

FOTW Member

Yeah that's what I would have thought but, he said unit worked fine in the PC repair place with no fault found. If it was MB it should have appeared there.

11. O-B-E-L-I-X

O-B-E-L-I-X Member

What's the make and model of the PSU? Have you tried another PSU?
    Have you updated the BIOS and the chipset drivers?

12. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

As above, definitely need to know the make and model of the PSU, 750W is enough power but if it's a poor quality or old unit it may not deliver what the GPU needs. I have an R9 290 and an overclocked CPU on a 550W PSU and don't have the issues you do (Asus brand).

Try a different cable on a different output to negate the possibility that it's the video cable or the actual video port. Did you use DDU Uninstall to uninstall the drivers? Drivers from AMDs site and not Windows or anywhere else?

13. OP
    OP
    SimpleJoe

SimpleJoe New Member

Ok i will try to answer everything i can
    It has been plugged into the same power point for the last 4 years in my college room and sat at the same position under my desk. It is next to a bar fridge but i have never had an issue with it before (the previous graphics card gave up while it was in my room at home and there was nothing else electrical in the room)

Once again because the problem doesn't seem to be load based i don't know if the tech who tested it even got it to fail how if does manage to blue screen (sometimes it just freezes) it will show an error code for drivers and i revert both the on-board and GC drivers back to the last time they were stable (2016 ish) with the drivers coming from both intel and AMD's site.

The computer has a TV and a monitor connected to it, a cheap logitech keyboard and a off brand 'gaming' mouse.

I don't have access to another graphics card and i will try running on just the tv however, when i have both screens running both flicker when there is an issue

As far as i know they have been untouched unless updates happen automatically

Yes to both

Finally i thought it would just be easier to add my PC specs to save further questions

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
    CPU: 4790K @4.4gHz
    GC: gigabyte windforce R9 290x
    RAM: 2*8gb adata XPG
    PSU: Coolermaster V750
    SSD: Samsung 850 250gb
    HDD: 2tb WD green
    Cooling: Corsair H100i v2
    additional cards: TP-link dual channel wifi

14. Benergy

Benergy New Member

Good morning, SimpleJoe.

If you want to shoot me $10 for postage, I've got a couple of old spare graphics cards laying around that I can mail to you for diagnosing your issue. I think they're a Geforce 7300GT and 8500GT, both passively cooled models. I *think* they work, or should work well enough to diagnose whether your current issue persists or not.

I don't mind if they don't make it back to me.

PM me your postage address if you're interested and I'll confirm both cards POST and make it to the Windows desktop in my lunch break. :thumbup:

EDIT: Just tested both cards, both get to the Windows desktop. Didn't have time to test driver installation though.

Ben

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  15. OP
    OP
    SimpleJoe

SimpleJoe New Member

Thanks for the offer i might end up doing that however, the only reliable way i can get the graphics card to mess up is by launching Saints Row 3, other games may do it, it just happens to be the one i was playing at the time. after 3-4hrs of gaming it will start to freak out and then lock up or BSOD and when i restart it that's when the main issues and usually i can't even get far past the windows logon screen. the more i think about this the more it sounds like 2 parts, my guesses are MB and GC, trying their hardest to be the faulty component. Other than that i have no clue how to force it into an error and i don't know if either of those GCs will be able to run Saints Row

EDIT: Ok so i just had another crash, the graphics card was completely out of the machine and sitting on my desk, i had 2 excel sheets, 2 word doc and maybe like 7 tabs open in chrome and it froze showing static like this https://vimeo.com/233639148

My thinking is that the CPU/RAM/MB is throwing up an error occasionally and it was just happened to be when my GPU was underload and i thought it was it

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  16. Benergy

Benergy New Member

Can you upload the files from your C:\Windows\Minidump folder for us to check? That's the memory dump files from BSOD events. We'll be able to check the date/time stamps to see if it did BSOD while the local computer shop was testing it too.

Wouldn't testing with one of these old Geforce cards while idling at your Windows desktop confirm whether there was any artifacting still taking place? (as per your video) and thus in-game freezing/BSOD issues?

Does Twitch need to be running minimised like in your video or is the Windows Aero desktop enough for the artifacting to start? I've witnessed video playback cause issues with some graphics cards. Another test: disable Aero and use Windows 7 basic theme with all transparency disabled. This should eliminate Direct3D at the desktop and confirm a graphics card issue. May require a reboot to take effect.

17. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

I've been through similar when I had a crappy old Casecom PSU, replaced it and everything was fine after that. You definitely have the 8-pin CPU power connected properly? Back off all overclocks and if stability improves it may be time to upgrade your PSU. Cooler Master is not known for too many quality PSU units.

18. OP
    OP
    SimpleJoe

SimpleJoe New Member

Link to the minidump folder:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1jgqr6pougpvadk/AACtrC7BuB4PLfDglVUQLY48a?dl=0

The artifacting is happening while there is no graphics card in there at all and is just randomly after a couple hours of running, nothing i can seem to find triggers it, it can range from watching something on youtube to using excel and word. it is also an all of a sudden type deal with no flickering or signs before it completely locks up. surely adding a graphics card will only show that the graphics card is running fine. Even if an error does occur when it's installed you have no new information because you are adding a working card to a faulty system.

Twitch runs on startup so do a few other programs but none of them have been updated since this all started happening and have never cause problems before. but i will try disabling aero mode.

I unplugged and replugged the 8 pin to make sure and this usually happens under very little load like not even 15% usage of the CPU and i'm running stock clocks

Thanks,
    SimpleJoe

19. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Crapped out PSU capacitors can have this effect. It sounds more and more like a power delivery issue. Checked the motherboard for bulging/leaking capacitors?

20. Benergy

Benergy New Member

I checked out your September memory dumps from the BSODs on the 13th, 18th and 27th. All three were caused by the video driver locking up a thread.

The typical suggestions are to perform a clean driver install after using DDU Uninstall to remove any previous drivers and ensure your system BIOS is up to date.

There's some earlier bluescreen errors from July relating to the OS kernel and separately DirectX in conjunction with your video drivers.

I would suggest cleanly reinstalling your operating system, installing all of the latest updates/service packs and ensuring you have the latest version of DirectX available.

Better yet, perhaps try Windows 10 via the assistive technologies link.