Screen went blank now video card no longer detected :(

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by hotpants86, Nov 10, 2018 at 4:38 PM.

1. hotpants86

hotpants86 Member

Hi All,
    Card is a Gigabyte GTX1080Ti Aorus Waterforce.
    Girlfriend was playing a game then the screen went blank. Restarted the PC and it won't detect a signal.
    Tried using different cables that work on my PC but no signal from video card.
    The card isn't detected in BIOS or Windows.

Any troubleshooting ideas? RMA time you reckon? This would be the 2nd waterforce that I'll have to RMA. Watercooled as well so I can't just stick it in my PC.

Thanks in advance

2. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Not detected in bios is bad news. I would RMA.

3. magius

magius Member

Was the 1st waterforce RMA on the same mobo, as what you used your 2nd waterforce on?
    Not an expert on gigabyte quality, but surprised they would fail that much, so wondering whether it could be something else.

4. OP
    OP
    hotpants86

hotpants86 Member

Yep same Mobo but it was a physical issue. The bottom connecting part to the piping had some weird leak, took Gigabyte 2 months or so to refund the money. First one was a 1080 waterforce, so I got a Ti because I wouldn't have to fuck around with the piping and it would fit straight in. No issue for months then without warning this happens. Card has never been overlocked either :(

Anyone know how Umart are with warranty? It's less than a year old so there's return to base and I'm hoping they'll give me store credit for a 2070 or refund me. I'm scared they'll say it's with Gigabyte and my girlfriend will be using her laptop for another 2 months again.

5. scared&profane

scared&profane Member

Do you have a spare videocard to stick in and make sure the mb isn't having issues with the pcie slot? I've had mb where some of the solder came loose and one of the slots stopped working just like that. Any other slots to try it in?

I assume its still spinning up? not power related?

6. OP
    OP
    hotpants86

hotpants86 Member

Yep everything else is fine, it still boots up with onboard video card so not power related and it's a 550w PSU. I actually took the entire loop apart and re-put everything in.
    I can't put another video card in at the moment because the connector/barb on the CPU is larger than the one the pump, so it was larger diameter from CPU > GPU and then smaller diameter from GPU > Pump. I need to get a larger connector and pipe to go from CPU to pump to close off the loop, then I can try another card.

The annoying part of having a combined CPU/GPU loop :(

7. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

The original Waterforce 1080 was definitely a physical problem, an O ring on the terminal block shat itself, but peeling the sticker covering the screws to fix it for you would have voided the warranty. I never did understand why it took so long for them to sort it, it should have been a 5 minute job to replace the O ring and AFAIK the GPU was actually still functional (although there were some stains on the PCB from the coolant).

If the mobo still fires up with onboard, then I suspect the GPU. I'd be going the RMA route. I can't remember what sizes the fittings were but I only ever use 1/2" (13/19) or 3/8" (10/16) compression fittings so its one of those.

Damn, you aren't having much luck with these are you?