Seagate 1.5TB drive only showing as 465.78GB

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by PsychoSmiley, Dec 26, 2008.

1. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I grabbed one of the ST31500341AS the other week with eagerness to consolidate my data from multiple drives into one. However when I finally got around to connecting it up the disk management utility only reports the available formatable space at 465.78GB (which seems roughly about what a 500GB drive should show as). The BIOS does report this as being a 1500GB drive with the correct drive code too.

Running Vista Home Premium 32-bit on a GA-P35-DS3P.

2. crag_v

crag_v Member

A quick google's first result should have the answer to your not-uncommon problem. Someone else found the same solution worked for them also.

If that doesn't work, you may try updating your MB BIOS. If that still doesn't work, maybe someone else here has experience with the problem...? I haven't hit this one before.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  3. OP
    OP
    PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Hmm seems I was using the wrong keyword set. Thanks anyway, I'll give that a go and report back.

4. OP
    OP
    PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Cool! That sorted that issue out.

5. OP
    OP
    PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

It seems that when the drive is connect to either one of the two Gigabyte SATA ports the mobo freaks and detects the 1.5TB drive at 500GB.

6. crag_v

crag_v Member

Good to hear. I guess the odd hiccup is inevitable with the onward march of technology and the swirling plethora of hardware and manufacturers out there!

BIOS update maybe?

7. OP
    OP
    PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

That's next to do after the data transfer. I'm moving the data off my two 500's onto the 1.5TB and then I'm going to raid the 500's into my new system/games drive when I put on Vista64.

8. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

I recently had a terabyte samsung disk that read the full terabyte and out of nowhere suddenly reported to be an 8gb disk... then a 32mb disk..
    I RMA'd the disk, hopefully yours isnt a similar problem.

edit: the Gsata ports on most of the gigabyte motherboards have trouble in some way or another, i suggest not using them at all, on my P35-DS4 they would cause system jolting when accessing the disks, and have seen this happen with other gigabyte motherboards too.

9. OP
    OP
    PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

It's something to do with the motherboard setting what the addressable space is for the drive. I just did what was in the initial link and used Seatools to change how much is addressable. I found out I'm running F4 ver. of the BIOS, the latest one is F11 from what I saw, so it looks like I'm waaaaaaaaaaay outdated.

10. crag_v

crag_v Member

For future reference, Gigabyte seem to update their drivers fairly regularly. I try to make it a habit when reinstalling Windows to update the BIOS as part of that process. Preventative maintenance beats troubleshooting, for sure.