Seagate 2TB externals for 99 @ DSE

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Jaco, Nov 20, 2011.

1. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

website for Big w says

Campsie low stock
    Bankstown low stock
    Rockdale Stock

when rang up they all siad the same thing sold their last 1 this morning no raincheckss etc

I think false advertising on the site

Dicksmith and JB HIFI just laughed at me when asked if they'll price match so much for price matching :(

2. Munki

Munki Member

Their website says no stock, doesn't it?

Bankstown had some yesterday, but they're out in the back. The girl who grabbed mine didn't even know the one on sale was the Expansion. She thought the Expansion drive was "wireless" cause it didn't have any wires on the box. I heard they were expecting new stock yesterday afternoon...

3. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Went to Officeworks (QV, Melbourne) and they were not willing to price match at all. Their excuse - Big W does not have it in stock. However, after checking their Elizabeth Street store, Officeworks' Price Matching Policy states that they can price match just as long as any store, any where, have it in stock. My arguement with the QV Officeworks dude was that I had confirmation that Sunbury Big W had them in stock (and surely there must be a Big W some where in this wide brown land of ours that had them in stock), but QV dude did not budge. If, on the other hand, that Elizabeth Street store guy said they had it in stock, they were able to price match.

Nevertheless, I got my two $99 HDDs from DSE delivered to me today. But I've been looking at getting another two for me and a mate.

4. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

no it said it had stock

5. Munki

Munki Member

In stock or low in stock? I can see Rockdale has the In Stock status, if you're desperate.

6. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

already tried Rockdale and rang up no stock apparently

7. Thelen

Thelen Member

ringwood still got plenty.

8. Rod911

Rod911 Member

The two I bought from DSE were "Product of China" and manufactured on 08/11. Using HD Tune, both came out as SATAIII and 7200RPM. :thumbup:

edit: pulled both drives out of their cases. Confirmed they both look like the pictures Wozzernux posted. I hate throwing stuff away, but it looks like I'll be throwing away the old external cases along with all them power adapters that came with it.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  9. garetz

garetz Member

I got mine from carlton officeworks, they brought out boxes of em, 6 per carton box. Yesterday when i asked they said they had over 100, dunno about now.

10. Thelen

Thelen Member

yea im sure they'll be runnin out real soon :D

11. Willis-

Willis- Member

Went to office works Marion rd. Was like my 10th store after trying a few each of Big W, JB HIFI, DSE, HN even Australia post! They had 5 of them at 109 each. Was sick of dicking around so bought them.

12. tmdo

tmdo Member

can the cases be put back on and used like a normal external?

i have an old 500gb that i want to use as an external

13. darksilencer

darksilencer Member

apparently officeworks were sent out a bulletin not to match bigw because of little or no stock remaining, if you get someone nice you'll get the pricematch though.

14. garetz

garetz Member

Problem is the externals are terrible cases, thats why people take them out.

15. congoh

congoh Member

Ventilation in these cases are terrible. If you value your data and hdd, just know this in advance before you use them.

16. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

The drives you have are all 7200 - all 08 and later are. Some 07 are but no-one knows how to tell without cracking them open (could it be "if the box has a date marked"? Mine was ...)

Anyway ... I reviewed the ReadyNAS Duo a while back; it won't make any difference running 5900 or 7200, and there's plenty of airflow so the drives will be fine.

17. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Ahh the pro's of Y Gen, too busy to check prices, matched and beaten Big W for the grand total of $83, last one in store, DOM 9/11, 7200rpm..

No thanks to the Filthy Fukn Swines who try to make a buck off fellow OCAU's.

18. garetz

garetz Member

Its not just the ventilation, its a cheap box in general, but at those prices what do you expect.

19. Thelen

Thelen Member

9/2011 site code TK will all be 7200s.

20. garetz

garetz Member

oepend a couple of 09/11, both were ST2000DM001