Seagate 8TB drives

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by AEKaBeer, Dec 31, 2014.

1. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

This is correct. They are like super slow SSDs in this respect, as they do a read, modify, write on existing data.

It also means that they treat the SMR section as a "data pool" and its not actually physically mapped as a normal drive. So when you write a new file, it just finds the next free section in the pool and writes it. When you modify a file, it reads from the SMR section, modifies it, and then writes it back to a clear section of the SMR area.
    Once the drive is filled with data though, where a "TRIM" would be useful, they go into read modify write on the same tracks, and that's where they can get very slow, as they have to read the entire track, modify it, and then write the entire track back again, even for a 1 byte change.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  2. aza2001

aza2001 Member

so is anyone running this in an mdadm array?

3. aokman

aokman Member

Don't be too hasty lol the Hitachi's are brilliant, though I will say my 5TB Toshiba's have been flawless as well. Ill never touch another Seagate again though don't care if they give them away.

4. claf-43

claf-43 Member

Thinking of turning my pc into my NAS as well. Will just run it in sleep mode.

Thoughts in storing all my media on one of these? Won't be raid, obviously not a system drive either.

I was looking at just getting a 8tb red internal with one of these as a backup externally. Saving around $200 seems ok though.... Not sure it's worth the difference in price to be honest.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  5. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

For home media I reckon a pair of the cheap archive ones would suffice, esp if you can get them from different batches.

6. claf-43

claf-43 Member

Just thinking as an interim it should be ok. I am keen on a 10-12tb single drive when they do rock up....

7. aza2001

aza2001 Member

so no one is running these in mdadm?

8. g00nster

g00nster Member

ain't no one got time for mdadm rebuilds!

9. aza2001

aza2001 Member

I see most use zfs, doesn't zfs take time to rebuild?

10. ar3nbe

ar3nbe Member

Would these drives be suitable to put into my NAS for video* files that I will stream to other devices in the house?

The drive will not be put in a RAID. I have other drives for that. So basically, minimal writes and semi occasional reads while watching videos.

From the comments it seems that this is almost was this drive was designed to do?

*Mostly 1080p GoPro footage that I have backed up elsewhere.

11. f0d

f0d Member

ok i just bought one of these (8TB archive) but im a little worried about reliability after reading about a bunch of horror stories on amazon and newegg

how has everyone elses been? anyone have one that died?

things like speed dont bother me - i knew it was going to be slow but i dont really care as its just to store videos for my htpc, its going to be written to once and thats it

i just dont want to fill it up then it die on me :upset:

12. claf-43

claf-43 Member

Got 3 myself now, all will be backup only, eventually....
    Was painful for a daily drive but luckily no issues yet.

13. jezza323

jezza323 Member

Ive had one as my primary media drive running plex in a microserver for >6 months

So far so good

I make sure everything is backed up in anycase

14. g00nster

g00nster Member

I've had 16 running in a zpool (2x vdevs of 8 drives in raidz2) for almost a year without hiccup.

I've never had an issue copying data (120MB/s) via SMB and read speeds are great too (~140MB/s per disk, ~~2GB/s for zpool on scrub)

http://imgur.com/zozE4sh
    http://imgur.com/MOLS9f4

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  15. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I'm still rocking 6 of these in Raid 5, I had a few issues a couple of months back but that turned out to be a funky cable .

Strange thing is i rebuild the array several times and the times was not too bad at all ,36 hours compared to say 10 for my 4Tb drive arrays which considering they are twice the size is not bad (3.6h/T vs 2.5h/T).

Maybe my controller was just verifying the data rather than rewriting it thought it did specifically say rebuilding rather than verifying .