1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Seagate Releases New Firmware for the Freezing 1.5TB Barracuda Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Nov 27, 2008.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

For people that still experience the freezing problems with their 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 hard drives, here is some relief for you. As previously reported here, Seagate has released a new firmware for the small number of drives with strange behaviour. Here's the official statement:

Again, to obtain the firmware first you need to find your HDD's model number, serial number, current firmware version using either Seatools for DOS or just look at the drive's sticker it should be written there, and finally you need to describe your system specs, operating system and the application in use when the disk freezes. After you have that information, please contact Seagate Technical Support, by email or by phone, they'll send you the new firmware and probably tell you how to update.

http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board...thread.id=2879&view=by_date_ascending&page=29

2. issa2006

issa2006 Member

in wonder if their is a update for sd19 hdds?, i use xp, so i dont know if the drives?.. the other hdd in a pvr?

I'm going to uninstalled vista as well..

i wonder ifs it a problem with achi on cotrollers..

xp does not use achi..

if your bios has achi off under vista , is the problem there?

no one tried..

i did get a problem yesterday copying files from this hdd to another,, and playing cod 5.. after a while i got a crash - restart system..x2

iv copyied files from other hdd to other hdd and play this game with no problem..(only diff is the 1.5 in use)

maybe it only crashes when copying from this hdd?

maybe its not related?... i really want a firmware update.. or a answer of is sd 19 affected..??

ill have to contact seagate.

3. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

incraese your southbridge voltage issa. i have 6 drives populating mine and the standard 1.5v for the ICH9R isnt enough to run em. you get bluescreens, each oen will be different and tell you some whack dll is the cause because the contorller is dieng and windows will bsod with whatever driver/dll it happens to be currently working with.

dont you work at hypernet? imcoming today to buy some hdds :D

4. neon_87

neon_87 RIP

thats good news. im hoping to buy 8 of these early next year with a decent raid card.

5. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

get started now :D

im about to go buy 2 of em ^^

6. neon_87

neon_87 RIP

what card? Im thinking of going to a HPT 3540. I might wait another month or two, and then buy 2 of them and just make sure i get different batches over a month or two

7. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

i jsut called up no stock dang it :D

im planning on getting a 2340 :)

slowly rebuild my array as a 14 drive raid6 array :D

8. aza2001

aza2001 Member

2340 doesn't do raid6 unless your going software linux raid?

9. neon_87

neon_87 RIP

yep, 2000 series has no raid 6 sorry to burst your bubble. I dont even think the 35xx has raid 6... anyway, im just going 2x 8 disk raid 5.

10. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

ahh ok i mustve been reading something else.. i guess ill just make 2 raid 5 arrays :D

11. neon_87

neon_87 RIP

yep. same space anyway, plus raid 5 is faster, though raid 6 is more secure in terms of drive failure. you could look at a 9650SE-16ML but its over double the price of the 2340. I'd go with the 3540, which has 256mb cache and faster processor. Bout $950-1000 vs $650-700 for the the 2340 i think. the other way you could do it is just get another 2320 and link them.

12. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

dont have the slots for a 2nd card :)

and yeah economy has pushed the cards price up another 100 or so.

the reason for the 2340 is that the array from the 2320 can move right over.

13. neon_87

neon_87 RIP

so can the 3540 :) Highpoint's cards are all interchangable, afaik. I've read that the 2xxx and 3xxx series are compatible with each other

14. issa2006

issa2006 Member

hi - im out today, but ill be their fri -9 -1pm (4 hours)

we order the 1.5 at request (ie we dont keep stock of 1.5tb - pricing) order time is 2 day typically (the ones i got are sd 19 (no problems in pvr aand pc (xp)

im selling (cash only)(private)(instore only)

Highpoint RocketRaid 2640x4 4 Channel PCI-E x4 SATA /SAS Raid Controller
    $200 (6 hours use) only + 1tb wd black hdd (used as raid backup (5 hours use)) = 200$ (i may keep it?)

im going to contact seagate so see if their is a update for the sd 19 drives (and or if their is a problem..)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  15. issa2006

issa2006 Member

well i don't have any problems for many months... but my system as restarted on (very hot days)..i don't think its hdd related...

my sound card sits above my video card and i believe it overheats...

i can put the sound card below the video.

iv stress tested the computer..

hot cpu pro 24x hour test = ok, 3dmark 06 loop (no cpu test) 15hours = ok..

just happens on hot days when playing game with sound card..

i tested temp of sound card power plug (fatality x-fi) it was 62dc (led in black box..at end of sound card) a lot of heat is building up between video + sound card.

il put a fan to fix it..

p.s iv contacted support to see if sd19 has roblems + if firmware update is avaliable?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  16. jmeister

jmeister Member

also looking into setting up an array of 1.5TB drives so will be checking this section regularly. Keep up the good work :)

btw: shall I go for HPT 3540, Adaptec 51645 or 3ware 9650SE-16ML?

Mainly want RAID 5 with OCE and decent throughput. Looking at an initial 6-8 drive array then expand it as drives become cheaper.

17. neon_87

neon_87 RIP

if you have the money, the 9650SE-16ML will be fine, though the 3540 will be fine for what you want. 2340 is the cheap alternative, but wont be very fast compared to the others

18. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

19. neon_87

neon_87 RIP

interesting read... my array will be 9.7TB anyway, so their proposed problems at 11.37TB wont be a problem for me, that being said, i've never heard of that problem.

20. lanky069

lanky069 Member

This was covered on OCAU front page a while ago:
    Sunday Middayish
    Sunday, 26-October-2008 11:16:43 (GMT +10) - by Agg

This entire news post is from Matt. Thanks, Matt!

Are the days of RAID 5 numbered? RAID 5 protects against a single disk failure. You can recover all your data if a single disk breaks. The problem: once a disk breaks, there is another increasingly common failure lurking. And in 2009 it is highly certain it will find you. Update: Lemming pointed out Dan Rutter's responceto this article.