Seagate st3750330as 750gb not working after flash

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by funkyblue, Jul 25, 2008.

1. funkyblue

funkyblue Member

Hello,

I have a ST3750220AU Seagate 750gb Drive.
    It had firmware: SD81 on it.
    It was making clicking noises, so I did a full test with Seatools. It found no errors.
    Many forums suggested updating the firmware.
    i Found the latest version SD14 on the internet and flashed the drive. Flashing seemed to have gone fine and I reset computer when I saw "Cycle power
    to continue..."

Now I only get drive error when booting. Vista does not see the drive at all. Seatools, finds the drive, but every test fails.

If there anyway I can repair the firmware or restore it back to the original firmware?

Seagate is refusing to help, as the drive is an OEM version, from an External Maxtor Basics unit. (I decided to make it an internal drive three months ago, and it has been working fine.)

I cannot return the drive, so am thinking I am out of luck.

Thanks in advance.
    Funkyblue

2. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

As far as things go, seagate don't provide updates for that reason...it can stuff up your drive. I don't know what forum told you to flash it, but i don't see any posts on this forum about it.

So what was the issue with the drive, that made you flash it in the first place?

3. OP
    OP
    funkyblue

funkyblue Member

I flashed because It was making clicking noises occasionally.

Is there a way I can extract the firmware SD81 from an identical drive and reflash? or is it dead?

Thanks

4. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Occasionally all hard drive make little clicking noises once in a while, its either to do with active diagnostics programmed by the manufacturer.

If that’s the only reason you flashed your hard drive, i'm sorry but its not exactly the smartest thing to do.

Haven't tried to flash any modern drives, unfortunately i can't help you there.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  5. Boxman

Boxman Member

You'll have to sweet talk seagate support into sending you the appropriate firmware for your drive (SD81). They don't provide public access to firmware updates for a reason. Not all firmware will work on a specific drive as any model line goes through numerous hardware revisions over its life cycle.

AFAIK there isn't a tool to capture a currently installed firmware from seagate drives. You need a fresh copy and the only way to get it is from seagate. Since they handle flashes on a case by case basis it is highly unlikely you will find a copy up for public download. The only real exception is if there are widespread issues with a particular firmware like with the AAK firwmare fiasco.

6. OP
    OP
    funkyblue

funkyblue Member

Thanks for the response :)

My issue is they are refusing to support the drive as it is an OEM version, even though it was taken from Maxtor Basics drive (with the same support number as Segate on the side of the box!)

I'll try phoning them on Monday. Thanks :)

7. Renza

Renza Member

dont fix what ain't broke! why did you flash it?? stupid idea.

best bet is to try and RMA it, or accept that you screwed it and buy another drive.

8. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

Are you sure it wasn't making clicking noises due to a faulty drive?

9. lazyboy1984

lazyboy1984 Member

making a clicking noise occasionally doesn't mean it's faulty. i've had a few drives that did this and there is nothing wrong with any of them.

10. OP
    OP
    funkyblue

funkyblue Member

If you read above you would have notice I already said it cannot be RMAed.
    I have purchased another drive and already restored the data.

Maybe it was OK clicking as my backup unit makes the exact same noises.

Such is life, s*it happens

11. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

I believe were are talking about two distinct sounds in that case.

Every Seagate drive I've exchanged under warranty has died once after making clicking " noises. (I don't meen the noises a drive makes when it seeks)

12. whoop

whoop Member

I've noticed my hard drive will click when it wakes up from sleep mode, be funny if his hard drive was just set to go to sleep after a while and on waking it clicked so he flashed it because it was simply waking up :D

13. OP
    OP
    funkyblue

funkyblue Member

That's suppose to be funny? How?

No I flashed it because a few forums mentioned it for my specific drive and firmware version. I know the risks associated!

The drive was clicking when reading data...

14. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

you should be able to warranty it as the maxtor basics unit, not as a bare drive...unless of course you voided warranty.

15. FalconGT

FalconGT Member

I had the exact same problem. Flashed a seagate drive with a firmware supplied directly from seagate.

I don't think their flashing tool is all that crash hot. Says it flashes fine then after a reboot/power off .. it's as dead as a doornail.

They RMA'd my drive fine because the firmware was supplied by them.