Seagate To Cut Bare Drive Warranties To Three Years..

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Dec 13, 2008.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

[​IMG]

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16049

Official Warranty Matrix: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/warranty_&_returns_assistance/product_warranty_matrix/

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  2. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Does it really matter? The five-year warranty didn't cover replacement for the last two years anyway (in the fourth year you'd get 25% of the drive value, and in the fifth year you'd get 10%).

3. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Not that much, but its one of the things people used to consider when going one company or another (now its just performance & price). I see seagate reducing the amount of money lost for the replacement of hard drives that have changed owners multiple times.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  4. kazimatiz

kazimatiz Member

I'm not really bothered by this as it should mean they will cut back prices by a fair bit.

They will have to come up with a new way to cripple Maxtor drives now that the warranty difference has been removed.

5. nap

nap Member

the truth is seagate drives fail more than other HD brands such as WD. If you ask any guys who do HD replacements in large DCs, they'll tell you the same story. Seagate coming out now saying they will no longer do 5yr is just proof that their drives are dying far faster than brands like WD.

Seagate enterprise is another story, their drives are pretty well made, e.g. the SAS drives, RAID enterprise drives..

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I always thought 5 years was a pretty good deal really and would be quite happy with 3 years.

I personally am never really affected by this because I cycle through new drives every year perhaps, so never really get to the stage of having older drives. Plus 5 years is a long time in the industry, they come out with updated capacity drives all the time - so it would give me an excuse to upgrade anyways.

7. greenhawk

greenhawk Member

well that sucks.

It is one of the man reasons I pay extra for seagates, otherwise WD's drives at about $20 cheaper (normally, if it is noticably greater I'll go the cheaper one).

guess I will be getting WD drives in the future, so long seagate, you are no lionger the perfered supplier of my drives (for what that is worth).

8. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Not defending them as i don't know, but wouldn't it have the volume of each product that is a factor as well?

As for them not doing 5 years, i recall Western Digital saying they couldn't do it because of financial reasons (some time ago), i guess with the economic crisis, companies are considering different strategies...and this seems to be one of those. I'm not that fussed, but i would like to see a price drop on their drives in those areas.

9. Celoot

Celoot Member

but not always, had a clients hdd on the LAST year of HDD warranty and they sent a replacement :confused:

either way, I think a 3 year HDD replacement warranty is good IMO

could only be 12 months....

WD also have a 3 year warranty I believe from memory..

10. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Yes they generally have, but now they do have 5 years on some premium hard drives, similar to Seagate's policy now. From memory in an interview (many years ago) they were asked why they wouldn't do 5 years like seagate, and their reply was related financial responsibilities.

11. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

yeah seagate are in a bit of a bind, whereas wd are consideirng buying out other media companies :)

12. eastley

eastley Member

It could be worse.

There is no law saying that anything has to even have a warranty!!

Imagine that, lol.

Anyway, I have a western Digital Pocket drive with 5 years warranty. So WD do it as well, sometimes.

13. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

That's odd. I guess that if the distributor has spare drives handy they might choose to use those rather than trying to organise credit. Seagate's official policy (here) says "Years 4 and 5 will be supported by RFC only" (RFC = Return For Credit).

Not all that long ago, the standard warranty was 1 year for standard/budget drives and 3 years for expensive models. Three years seems fine; after that I'd probably just upgrade rather than going through the whole RMA process.

14. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

i thought there was?

15. issa2006

issa2006 Member

Not that it matters, but it looks like the retail outlets are only giving gear 12 months , after that, it the customer problem, and you have to freight it out. costing ??? depending on where its got go..

dam its a cut throught ind..:thumbdn:

16. jebz

jebz Member

Yes there is.

CA does 3 years.

17. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Allneeds in Adelaide do 3 years/Manufacturers warranty too.

18. mckonazz

mckonazz Member

Most suppliers will only do 12month+ returns if the product was purchased there, to keep their customers happy. If you weren't a customer, then they'll fob you off elsewhere. I've had 1 store do it for me, even though they didn't sell Seagates at the time I purchased it... simply because I spent about $10k annually with them when I built PCs for peeps.

But yeah... I've had to RMA a 250GB WD to Singapore. Big PITA... Seagate is in Botany, NSW I think.

Oh... and I knew a guy who got a replacement SG drive after 4 years. Didn't have a receipt or anything - just lucky that his serial was allowed. He sent it straight to the AUS distributor.

Looks like I'll be sticking with WD from now on, as that ws the only reason I was paying the SG premium.

19. jboles

jboles Member

i was wondering how long before they'd go back to 3 years

with the rate of new technology in the computer industry, there's no need for a 5 year warranty. when a 5 year old drive dies, the outdated replacement is going to be worth so little that it's better just to buy a new one.

all the 5-year warranty is, is just:
    1. marketing crap, and
    2. an accounting problem

20. jmeister

jmeister Member

indeed. I have 2 seagate 200GB sata drives which died about a year ago.

Thought about RMA'ing but couldn't be bothered since I won't be using those drives if they replace it. It's still under warranty till Jul 2009 lol.