Seamless backup of photos?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by aussie-revhead, Jul 16, 2016.

1. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, my missus loves photography and has heaps of digital photos stored on her pc so I want to back them up but I dont want to rely on her doing a manual process, so how can I back these up seamlessly? ie like mirror to an external drive or NAS?

Any help would be great.

:thumbup:

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

If you buy a nas, it will have backup applications you can use. Otherwise if you are using windows, you can schedule windows backup to backup to a schedule. The only thing to "worry" about is getting and keeping as much of a backup totally separate from the main system, in case of ransomware "attack". It's a good idea to also manually connect and disconnect a separate external drive, even if you set up an automatic backup routine.

3. Skitz0

Skitz0 Member

If you need something cheap (read: free) and easy I would recommend using Karen's replicator with an external hard drive. This software can be setup to duplicate any files at specific times with its built in scheduler. Its a complete set it and forget it solution that requires zero user input after initially being setup.

If you want to add another layer of backup, I also use Crash Plan cloud backup to keep a copy of my critical work on the externally. This also has the benefit of allowing you access all your files on the go with the mobile app. Crashplan also does versioning so if you modify a file on Thursday you can go back to Monday, Tuesday or Wednesdays version. Its only $80ish per year for unlimited backup. Worth every cent in my opinion and has already saved me on several occasions.

For photowork I would highly recommend keeping an offsite backup. If lightning fries your pc chances are its going to take your backup with it. A local photographer had his PC and NAS stolen last year, that was everything he had. Imagine having that conversation with your clients :Paranoid:

4. aza2001

aza2001 Member

tried crashplan or google photos?

5. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I really didnt like the idea of online storage but I am warming to the idea.

:thumbup:

6. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

Offsite or "cloud" ticks the most boxes in terms of backup security. Although I wouldn't use it for storing super personal stuff, I'd have no problems storing photos if I had the upload bandwidth to handle that volume of backup.

One of my "next best" solutions is weekly automated encrypted FTP backup to onsite server using an authentication jailed to a specific directory and raid redundancy. This provides a backup solution that protects against corruption, malware, ransomware, hardware failure and spilling my bourbon on my PC. It does not protect against situations involving the whole premises like flood, fire or mass theft, which is where cloud storage shines.

7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

google drive, dump the photos straight into the drive folder then you have it local and online

8. Falkor

Falkor Member

We use Smugmug, my wife uploads all her photos there. Unlimited storage etc etc.

You could also just use something like Crashplan or Backblaze but they still take up space locally.

9. sreg0r

sreg0r Member

I just use backblaze for everything because it's cheap and easy to set/forget. Unfortunately due to lacklustre upload speeds it can take a while for the initial backup, and anytime you come back from holidays. Otherwise it just runs in the background and does a fairly good job of throttling its speed.

There are alternatives like crashplan which can also backup to an external drive if you require that as well.

10. 6thgear

6thgear Member

Google Photos, absolutely glorious