Secure FTP File Hosting Company?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by sharkmutiny, May 19, 2010.

1. sharkmutiny

sharkmutiny Member

Anybody know a good Australian one which they would recommend? Preferably based on East Coast... :confused:

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

SFTP / FTPS both exist.

SFTP is obviously strongly preferred from a security standpoint.

What exactly does the OP want? How much space? how much bandwidth per month? is it an intermediary (e.g do you need it forwarded onto another vendor via another protocol)? what sla's do you need/want? etc, etc...

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    sharkmutiny

sharkmutiny Member

ok, sorry guys for the quick posting with out explaining myself, sftp was what I was thinking of. We have a need in my company right now for some of our users to have the ability to send very large files - obviously these cannot be emailed, despite their silly attempts to date.

I was however wanting something a little more secure than just what ftp offers, I also wanted to avoid setting it up myself... I have enough on my plate as it is! So a hosted site which has the ability for myself to manage multiple users via a control panel.

If nobody knows, then how do you do this for your companies internally - do you all just use IIS to create FTP folders and secure with permissions, I have done this in the past but was hoping there was something better and more secure out there.

Doesnt need much space for now - 5 gig plenty, decent bandwidth, it would only be used as an easy way for file transfers not as a file store - I would insist the files be removed after they have been sent. Also no need for any great SLA provision.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  4. leighr

leighr Member

My workplace currently uses the SFTP server from Tectia, available from here: http://www.ssh.com/

It seems to meet our requirements. It lives in our DMZ, port 22 only from the outside world, port 21 and 22 available to all users internally, with 3389 restricted to the management subnet.

Leigh.

5. FalconGT

FalconGT Member

6. swipe

swipe (Banned or Deleted)

How much would your company pay for an SMTP service that stripped attachments larger than 500kb in transit and replaced them with a link to download the attachment from a HTTPS service?

7. Iceman

Iceman Member

Rent a server or this service from an ISP;

http://www.asperasoft.com

Looks like they host it on amazon too.. maybe amazon will sell you the service co-located in au?

8. FalconGT

FalconGT Member

9. gords

gords Oh deer!

10. OP
    OP
    sharkmutiny

sharkmutiny Member

Fantastic response guys, thanks heaps for all your suggestions. That accellion product does look the biz! And you are right gords it does appear we were in the same boat, sorry I missed your thread!

Damn shame their purchase online is coming soon, hate having to go thru partners (salespeople...ughh)...

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  11. Wynne

Wynne Member

This might meet your needs too?

http://www.allardsoft.com/filetransfer

Might also be cheaper than the Accellion option, although not as integrated.

Let us know what the rough price of the Accellion is if you don't mind?

12. gords

gords Oh deer!

Thanks for the link, Wynne!