Seek advertising for Ubuntu Desktop Support

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by GumbyNoTalent, Dec 23, 2020.

1. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://www.seek.com.au/job/51182335
    This is the first Desktop Linux support role that has come up in my feed, is 2021 the year we finally see Linux desktop tip over into mainstream business? Well here in Boganville Australia.

I have a permanent search on the word Linux for 5 years, just watching the market, and while server and development based skillsets have been plentiful over the years this is the first Desktop Support role purely interested in Linux only I have seen. Hopefully there will be more.

flu!d, elvis, HyRax1 and 1 other person like this.
  2. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Linux desktop is already there - Enterprise is just slowly waking up to it. Microsoft's share is shrinking on its own as more workplaces embrace BYOD, not to mention the demands of workers to use better tools and those fed up with Windows in general.

The place I work for unfortunately still has their head stuck in the sand and while they can't really stop people using MacOS or Linux on the desktop, they insist on new servers being Windows instead of Linux, much to the chagrin of the rest of the organisation. We have more Linux servers than Windows at the moment (and have had so for a couple of decades) and they are trying desperately to reduce the Linux footprint probably because they have so little Linux experience in our IT department, but naturally they refuse to hire more Linux experience to cover that, and they don't like people looking after their own boxes either, so in their view, logically there's no choice - you must use Windows!